It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Battledawn - a newbie's view
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:33 pm 
Private
Private

Hi All,
Firstly, I am a newbie. I have just played Earth 1 from about tick 690 and positioned myself in North Africa. I was having a messaging discussion with another player who suggested that I post the text on the forum.

Quote...."Look, I am a newbie but I still have opinions about the game. I didn't like being so close to XI but that was ignorance when I started and then I joined a small alliance so stayed where I was. The problem in terms of the game is that for a newbie if you get conquered straight away and then defeated everytime you try something there is little to attract you back. Perhaps the regular players aren't bothered by this but they should be because the game will be all the more boring if we weren't around."

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed playing (and will play the next round) but all you regular players need to think hard about the game. I have stayed with it through persistance but I can understand why so many wouldn't.

I know alliance numbers have been cut to 18 but having watched XI from a front row seat I would say that if the 18 most active of them got together next round they will still win the game with ease.

Anyway, you can all start to kick this ball around now.

Thanks to Andrew for running E1. Thanks to all the BD staff who work behind the game to bring it to us and lastly thanks to all those who have gone before with ideas, suggestions and tweaks.

Regards,
A.

Post subject: Re: Battledawn - a newbie's view
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

this is nothing new it has been brought up repeatedly we want to change it but the problem is that we cant find a solution that wouldnt completely change the game

Gate of Babylon
Top rank 18
Top alliance rank 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:01 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You bring up some valid points that I've made mention several times. I admit I have not come up with too many great suggestions. One thing that is being considered changing is the way the protection ticks are visible. Right now it ticks down to 1 and then you come out of protection. Sure enough, someone is attacking you the next tick. Things that are being considered is no number at all, or switching it to just show 4 numbers, 100, 75, 50, and then 25... so it'll show each number for 25 ticks. Gives you a chance to log a few more ticks before you get attacked and maybe you might be able to defend.

The good thing now is there is a help section too, it has been updated. Now there is more of a chance for new players to get a better understanding of the game before they come out of protection, if they read up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:59 am 
Captain
Captain

Sadly , that is the way of BattleDawn.
People log in and try to play , get conquered and stop playing (i am no exeption) so it does not only take skill and activeness , you need friends , an alliance to watch your back .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:07 am 
Private
Private

Hi,
You are right Creel. Being conquered as soon as you come out of protection is rather disheartening so if there was a way to slow this down it would help. Hiding the countdown is an idea but in the end eveyone gets conquered.
The help menus are good but perhaps I could suggest a couple of things (I'm not about to post on the suggestion board... what do I know...I'm a newbie).;
- remind the player 24 ticks in where the help menu is and to use it.
- likewise about the existance of the help guides on the forum.
I spent ages reading and re-reading these guides but when you look at the broadcasts you get the impression that there are loads of players who don't even look at them.
- The tutorial. Could the tutorial be available via the help menu (at the top of it for example) but not interactive as it is at the start? Like a slide show. At least newbies who haven't bothered to pay attention at the start could go back to it. (if it is available then sorry, I never found it).
- Battle system. Despite having read the guides I didn't understand until well into the play that the 3 types of weapon only work against one type of chasis. Perhaps a small tweak to the guide to make this clea.
- Units; I don't get the point of having damage units as the system works now. I know this is another area of discussion but how about this. Round 1, all range 3 units fire first, then damage units, then armour. I don't think the armour would figure offensively as by the time the range and damage have a go I doubt if they would still be there but at least this would give damage units a chance and a purpose/use.
I hope you all take the comments as they are meant, Ideas to think about. Not criticisms.
Regards to all,
A.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:11 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Those are some fantastic suggestions.

What I got out of it that I think are some fantastic suggestions.

1 - Reminder of Help Section. Maybe automated messages from Admin at certain ticks as you come out of protection. Tick 1, 25, and/or 50.
2 - Include or add an additional automated message linking to the forum. Help Section, War Room. Maybe an automated message from Admin on this that comes once in protection, but also every 250 ticks automated in the game for everyone, as there are lot of uses in the forum that go unused.
3 - Maybe a link to run the tutorial again even after you run through it. It could also be pointed out again in the automated message from Admin on suggestion one noting you can run the tutorial again.
4 - Battle System - I don't have much to suggest you here, I've played with folks that have been around for well over a year and have even won the game that still don't get it.
5 - And you call yourself a Newbie. :D See note 4....

I'm just a player like yourself, but I've been around for a while. I think it is ideas and suggestions like these that help make Battledawn a better place. I think they will take these considerations to heart, because they all realize bringing new players to the game and keeping them, will only make it a better place. I'm going to get these suggested to some of the right folks. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:16 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I like what this guy has to say. I'm a newbie as well, but who talked to the right people. Because of Kane/Apollo/Shion, I am now in 2 #1 alliances, and a #4. Just gotta know people ;)

"Nukes are like hard liquer-They make people feel tougher than they really are"-CSTORM666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

grumpy make a topic in the suggestion section for this and mention those solutions and i am sure i will pass

Gate of Babylon
Top rank 18
Top alliance rank 2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]