It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My own book IV to the inheritance cycle: Breoal(Family)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 pm 
Private
Private

StillAlive wrote:
Apollo,

You are a great writing but now im glued too even though it took me an hour or soo to read all that i wanna know more keep posting :)

Im glad u like it!

CHAPTER 7: PROMOTIONS

Roran had just finished his latest raid. It was highly successful. However, something troubled him. I lost no men during the fight, however, that supply train was the biggest one I have seen since I joined the Varden. On top of that, it was not heading for Belatona, it was going somewhere else.

He would have brought up this question to Eragon. However, his cousin had left for Gil'ead three hours before Roran returned from his mission. Roran decided to bring his suspicions to Nasuada.

The army had been on the move from Feinster for three hours now. Roran's party had met up up with the main army on the way to Belatona. Roran searched the ranks for Nasuada and found her at the front line.

"My lady,"

"Stronghammer, what is so important that you needed to speak with me immediately after you returned? You have not even greeted your wife yet," She asked with a hint of frustration.

"It is concerning the supply train I raided a few days ago. It was the biggest supply train I have seen since I joined the Varden."

"And? Why is that a problem?!"

"It was not going to Belatona my lady. I believe the empire is going to face us on the open field before we reach Belatona."

Nasuada was clearly worried now. "That can't be. Our scouts would have reported sightings of an army coming towards us...." She then was gripped by fear. "Our scouts...Jormunder!"

"Yes my lady?"

"Have you met with any of our scouts in the last few days?"

"No I haven't. The scouts we sent out the day after we left Feinster didn't return."

"Blast! Are you telling me we have been marching blind these last few hours?"

"Yes."

Roran could see the fear on Nasuada's face. Her mistake had left them open to an attack when they were on the march.

Nasuada looked at Roran, "Thank you for telling me this, I can only hope my mistake has not put the Varden in danger."

The Varden marched for another thirty minutes before halting. Roran, Nasuada, and Jormunder all saw something that increased their concern greatly. They saw the scouts that had been sent out, their bodies on top of a hill. Their heads were decapitated and set on spits.

"Send a horseman over the hill and ask him if there is anyone," Nasuada said.

The horseman took 15 minutes to check what was over the hill. When he returned, he declared, "Its clear my lady."

The Varden went over the hill and were near a rather large forest. Roran realized something. There isn't a forest in this area for miles! This is a trap!

"Give me your bow," he said to the soldier to the left of him.

Roran fired a shot. As he feared, it went through the tree, and did not get stuck in it.

"Nasuada! That forest is and illusion! Its a trap!" If I was able to hit that tree from here then we are in range of their crossbows!
"And tell the magicians to put up wards to deflect crossbow bolts!"

Nasuada yelled, "Sound the war drum! To arms! And make haste!!" She then approached Jormunder and Roran, "Jormunder, my injuries still prevent me from joining the fight. I am putting you in command and Roran in second command for this fight."

Roran in his panic, grabbed the ring on his hand, turned it a few times, and said "Help me Shadeslayer! Help me Brightscales!" He then remembered that Eragon was out of his reach.

Roran was concerned. This was the perfect storm. He thought. Eragon and his body guards had just left.

The Varden were still scrambling to get into ranks when the forest disappeared. The Varden groaned in despair. They saw 6,000 soldiers ready to fight them. The Varden had 5000 men, but were still recovering from Feinster. The next thing the Varden saw was a cloud of black approaching their ranks fast.

To Roran's relief, his personal magician, Carn, and the other 3 magicians in his platoon, were able to erect wards up on his personal platoon of 100 men. Unfortunately for the Varden, the most of the other magicians were not as fast. Roran saw the cloud of arrows approach the Varden. He was on the left side, Jormunder in the center, and Orrin on the right flank. Roran looked to his right. To his horror, he saw 3 arrows puncture Jormunder.

Hundreds of the Varden had fallen in the first volley. Hundreds more had fallen in the second volley. By the third volley some of the magicians had wards up, but many of the Varden were still dying. Why aren't the other magicians getting the wards up? He thought. Then he realized: They are dead or have been overpowered, if they put up that illusion than that army has magicians in it. We can't just wait out this barrage then. Roran realized he was in charge with Jormunder's death.

He saw the Varden ranks wavering. They were dismayed that Jormunder had died and they were falling by the second.

Roran knew what they had to do. Charge... In a normal case it would be suicide, but it was a better option then just getting peppered away at. But first he needed to rally the Varden.

"Men of the Varden! We cannot let the empire stop us here! Too much is at stake!" A handful of the wavering soldiers looked at him.

"The empire comes at us with its machines of destruction. The men without pain, the metal crossbows, and now magic! A machine of war can be a deadly device. However, let me tell you something!" An arrow wizzed by his head.

"A machine does not think. A machine does not have a purpose. A machine only does what its masters request them to do. A human is able to think on the battle field. A human has free will. And a human who fights for his country, his family, and his love is more powerful than a hundred machines! You do not see 6,000 humans facing you. You see 6,000 machines. I fight for you! I fight for my wife! I fight for Eragon! I fight for the Varden! And I fight to overthrow this corrupt king! I will charge these machines in a moment. Who will join me?!"

The 4,000 remaining Varden all chanted as one and banged their swords on their shields. "Aye, we will join you strong hammer!"

"CHARGE!"

The Varden charged the soldiers of the empire. Orrin and his 500 cavalry and horsemen reached the empire's soldiers first. They flowed throught the right side like a knife through butter, as the empire's soldiers were to slow to react to the cavalry and had been switching from their crossbows to their swords.

Not long after, the Varden infantry joined Orrin's horsemen in the carnage. The fighting was tense, at first in the empire's favor because of the number's advantage.

Roran fought like a berserker on the left flank. He was bashing heads with his hammer left and right. He saw a sword going for his heart and it slid left. Roran was relieved that he had asked Eragon to put wards on him after they had taken Feinster. Roran bashed his skull and went to the next person.

The fighting had lasted for hours since the charge. The cavalry charge had given the Varden an edge on the right side, and the fighting was even on the left. However, the Varden were losing in the center, partially because they had no commanding officer. The Empire still had 500 more men then the Varden.

Roran knew that if the center gave out then all was lost. He needed to act quickly. He also knew that the empire had more magicians than the Varden did. If they lost any more magicians than the battle may as well been lost. Roran then had an idea. He got 4 of his best men and himself. He went to his 4 magicians.

"Can you make the five of us invisible? Also add more wards around us. Remove the wards off the others if necessary.

"It is done Stronghammer."

Roran and his four soldiers snuck behind enemy lines to search for the magicians. He found them in a very large tent. There was at least 30 of them. Roran then looked to see if the empire's camp had any mead. They found 10 barrels.

"Quickly, move them to the tent where the magicians are. They might notice our conscious soon."

They got the mead into position. Then they got far enough away. Roran found a bow, lit the arrow on fire, and fired it at the mead.

The magicians, concentrating on the wards they had placed on the soldiers, and looking for the Varden magicians, had not realized that Roran and 4 others had gotten into camp while invisible until it was too late. The mead exploded and the 30 magicians were incinerated.

Deprived of wards, the empire's soldiers started to drop like flies. Realizing their magicians had died, what remained of the empire's soldiers retreated. The Varden were cheering in victory and chanting, "Stronghammer! Stronghammer!" when they saw Roran reappear in their ranks.

The Varden had won a huge victory, and both sides had suffered heavy casualties. The army which the empire had sent only had 2,000 men left. The Varden only had 2,000 soldiers left in the group that was sent to siege Belatona.

The Varden began the grim business of collecting the dead and wounded. Roran saw Nasuada surveying the field. He approached her.

"Did you see the battle?"

"Bits and pieces, I was surveying from afar. What caused the despair at the beginning of the fight? Were they soldiers without pain?"

"No, we lost a thousand troops to archer fire. Jormunder died in the first volley. That was why I had to rally the troops."

"And the explosion?"

"I snuck into their camp as I was invisible, planted some mead at a tent with all their magicians, and exploded it, killing all their magicians."

"I see. summon the troops."

Roran gathered the troops from their grim business of collecting the wounded so they could hear what Nasuada had to say.

"I am proud of all of you today. Today the empire thought they could squash our cause with a little magic trick. Well they failed! And they will keep failing until we behead that traitor king!" The Varden cheered.

"The reason I have gathered you immediately after this fight, is to find our new 2nd in command as Jormunder died. I---" She was interrupted when a soldier yelled "Stronghammer!" the whole army joined him all chanting Roran's name.

Nasuada smiled, and said "Very well, I hear by promote Roran ot my second in command!"

The Varden cheered.

Nasuada then said to Roran, "Before you do anything, I order you to spend some time with Katrina, she is in our temporary campsite on top of the hill."

Roran immediately left to meet Katrina, the love of his life and the source of his strength.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 pm 
Major
Major

Sorry, I didn't read it earlier. I was on vacation and flying.

Next chapter please.

Zhester: *You're :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:47 pm 
Private
Private

Eragon was in a panic. His cousin was in trouble. And he could not do anything about it. He was worried about what would cause his cousin to use the ring. Thorn was still wounded, and Eragon decided that it was unlikely Galbatorix had revealed himself because he had not yet. Perhaps Roran was ambushed on one of his raids. Or Birgit attacked either Roran or Katrina. What if something happened to Katrina?! If it was any other situation he would have flown back to the Varden with speed. However, he was over a day away now from the Vardem, and he knew the elves were expecting him some time soon. He could not keep Oromis' body waiting.

Thankfully, a new wind had blowing now, and was blowing Saphira toward's Gil'ead. It was so strong that if Saphira ever got tired she could let the wind carry her. It was stronger than either headwind they had faced going to Ellesmera and the one they expierienced the day before. Saphira had continued flying through the night after they visited Brom's tomb.

Eragon, you need to calm yourself. Saphira said. She then said to Eragon and Arya, If this wind keeps up we should arrive in the afternoon.

Thank you Saphira. We should land before hand so Eragon and I can change into something more presentable. Arya knew Eragon well enough that he was very worried about his cousin and added, Eragon, do not worry about your cousin. He is one of the strongest humans next to Galbatorix and yourself, and you are not even fully human.

I know, but I told him to use those rings when he was in great peril! His ring also warned me by itself he was in danger. It has never done that on any of his supply raids or Feinster! Either someone tried to assassinate him or Katrina or the Varden were just ambushed by a large number of soldiers or some twisted scheme by Galbatorix that I don't know about!

Still, you should not worry about that which you cannot change. Unless you know a spell that can teleport, which you don't, as we could have used it to reach Gil'ead yesterday, you cannot rush to your cousin's aid.

That still doesn't change the fact they are in danger and I'm hundreds of miles away!

Arya then had a change in emotion to annoyingness. Eragon! Roran and/or Katrina are either dead or dying or they are not and there is nothing you can do about that!

Eragon was stung by Arya's last thought and said aloud, "Just like my fathers, right?" Tears were in his eyes.

Arya then spoke aloud, "Wait! Eragon that was not what I meant to say!"

Eragon was not listening though. He was tuning out the world save for Saphira, stung by what Arya had said.

Arya felt ashamed of herself. She could tell without seeing Eragon's face that he was on the brink of crying. What had caused her to say that? She was not able to keep her composure around Eragon as always. What was I thinking? Why do I always get upset easily around him? Rather, why do I always express my displeasure easier around him. Is it because I want to see him improve himself?

She felt Saphira enter her mind, That was smooth Emerald Eyes.

I know, I will have to apologize to him before we land
. Arya answered.

Then you will have to apologize soon, because we are an hour away from the elves and I am about to land.

Arya put a hand on Eragon's shoulder.

"I am sorry Eragon, I should not have said that." Eragon then turned around in the saddle and Arya looked into his eyes. His gentle brown eyes were glossy now and shiny in the sun.

"I understand why you said what you said, and you are right. You have to understand though, Roran and Katrina are the only family I have left, and you are my closest friend now." Arya felt Saphira mentally slap Eragon. Arya herself was unsure what to say. Luckily Saphira saved her the trouble.

Were landing now, go and prepare yourselves.

They landed by a stream. Arya and Eragon went to separate ends of the stream so they could not see each other while they bathed. Finished, Arya got dressed into her favorite forest green dress. She went back to Saphira and saw that Eragon was in a forest green tunic. He looked handsome.

Blast! Why did we have to match! Now it looks were a couple!

They each mounted Saphira. Eragon then mentioned to Arya, "Were matching"

"I know. If the elves think as much of this as we do then were in trouble." Arya murmurred.

"I don't think much of it. You?" Eragon replied lightly.

Eragon's answer had caught Arya off guard. "Huh? Oh um..Neither do I."

Saphira took off for Gil'ead.

What did I just do? I was acting like how Eragon had when he's around me!

When they neared Gil'ead, Eragon motioned to something and the three of them gasped. They saw Glaedr's and Oromis' bodies. They each had been cleaned of the blood from the battle. A sword of sadness tried to stab into Arya's mind but was trumped by a shield that was confusion about Eragon.

Not long after, Saphira landed and Arya saw her mother there with numerous elven lords. All of the elves were dressed in black. The last time Arya had seen so much black was when her father died, and she barely remembered that. Arya then thought that perhaps she could speak with her mother about her confusion, albeit in a disguised way. They had after all, reconciled, and it would give her mother a chance to show she truly had been sorry. She remembered the first time her mother tried to show her kindness after they reunited. It was in private in Tialdari Hall.
_____________________________Flashback_____________________________

The queen and Arya were each looking at each other in the private quarters of the queen. Each had dull, cold looks upon their faces. It was the first time the two of them had met in private of ages. The icy frown on Arya's face was much harder than that on the queen's.

Finally, Islanzadi broke the silence and looked at Arya with a frown, her mouth pleaing. "Arya, what do I have to do to show you I truly am sorry for what I have done to you the last seventy years?" She was almost begging her daughter.

Arya was silent for a time. She was looking at the woman who had disowned her essentially. However, in her heart, she still loved her as her mother. But she had been hurt by her, she was not sure if she could truly trust her. She started to speak. "Mother...it is not that I do not believe your apology is sincere. It is just that, I cannot simply forget seventy years." She said quietly. Her fist then clenched for a moment as she remembered the torture at Gil'ead as a tear fell.

"Is there something you are leaving out Arya? I do not remember you being so distant from the world even when I did what I did." The queen asked as she walked to her daughter.

Arya then broke her cold face and started to break down in tears. Her mother placed her in her warm, comforting arms. Arya then cried aloud, "He's dead mother! Why did they have to take him from me? Why did they have to separate us? I can't live without him!" She sobbed. Her mother just held her and whispered into her daughter's ear,

"That is how I felt every day since your father died. Every day I wake up and there is no arm near me to keep me warm. His emerald eye's not there to look into mine. His eloquent voice when we meet with elven lords. Every day I miss Evandar as you miss Faolin." The queen said softly.

"Mother, why must the two of us be tortured so? It's not fair!" Arya continued to cry.

The queen just stood there, comforting her daughter through the night.
______________________end flashback_____________________________

Arya then looked at her mother, the only other person besides Eragon whom she had openly cried infront of, ever. And the only other person besides Eragon she had confided with about Faolin. She then came to a conclusion.

I need to speak with her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Major
Major

Next chapter please, Apollo, you have a great book here.

Zhester: *You're :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:17 pm 
Private
Private

All the 135 chapters of the story is here: http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index. ... try1443976

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3