It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leadership Advice?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am 
Private
Private

Hey! I'm CruZ A new player to battledawn. This is my first real era after learning from my mentor Dandy Devil.

I am currently the leader of the alliance MODE. Rank 8 as of now. We seem to be doing alright but I'm still a noob! I didn't intend to become a leader but after recruiting I ended up with a full alliance overnight as opposed to the 2-3 players I expected.

I suspect DRUG will soon attack us but I wont let this end the era for me. If anyone has any tips or advice for me It would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Leadership Advice?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 am 
Captain
Captain

lol if u don't wanna get killed by DRUG then talk , negotiate make them allies
if they dont agree u have to find which other alliance are going for win , u can team up with them & make a attempt to save ur alliance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 pm 
Private
Private

I did go for peace, but because of my mentors history with DRUG's leader he rejected my offer. (this is fantasy 2 btw).

I'm not to worried about losing to them, They are rank one and we aren't able to match up. Ill probably just go for a peaceful surrender. What im looking for is just advice on being a leader altogether.

Should we build a certain chassis? Become a sub alliance?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You'll need to do two things.

1. Negotiate with the enemy, see if u can do anything to make them stop attacking you.
2. Prepare for war, put agents, get intel about enemy's chassis, active / inactive time and make up some plans to counter the eneny

These 2 things need to be done at the same time, in case u failed to negotiate, u still have some trick up on ur sleeves. It probably won't help u but it might make it harder for them to attack.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:43 pm 
Private
Private

As they are right on our doorstep I am negotiating a surrender.

We will give up our colonies and conquers in exchange for a NAP until tick 1000 and we get to keep our outposts. We will relocate, rebuild and prosper elsewhere.

I do hope he accepts but whether he does or doesn't I still don't have much experience with the game. My mentor has gone inactive which is why im seeking help here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

all u can do is surrender ur colonies & dont let ur armies die
just let them conquere u , as u said they are rank 1 some other alliance will surely fight them for rank 1 tat time u rebell & help their enemies
by the way how does ur enemy knows tat dandy devil is ur mentor?
y making such things public on eras?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:37 pm 
Private
Private

That's what's happening now. Were razing ops and moving our troops..

When you say you have a mentor most people want to know who taught you. I am not ashamed of my mentor so I tell them who it is. I think its safe to say he hurt me in this position but his name did help me meet new contacts and make allies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 pm 
Captain
Captain

I never meant to be ashamed of mentor , I just meant tat no need to go shouting everywhere telling I have dandy as my mentor
yea if someone asks u its a different thing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:25 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Cruz itll be alright, f2 is ran by lool for the time being they cannot win an era with just a main and 1 sub, they need a main and 5 subs, shows how pathetic and skilless the players are :) everything will be ok, for now, take my advice and just coordinate spams and attacks, thats al lyou can do for now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:18 am 
Private
Private

Just red all of the responses, and while I think that you are covered when it comes to the situation you are in, you still did not get any general leader advice...

So, here we go:

i) Remember it's you and your members
While some respect is needed, there is no need to overdo it and seem too cold or distant to your fellow members. Remember, you are a member too.

ii) Give the benefit of doubt
That's something I picked up from my mentor during my short time with him... What I mean to say is that, example given, if x player messages you accusing one of your members of sniping, do not rush to kick that member out or scold the player that accused him, saying that he is wrong. Be fair and check all reports out. Also be sure to request proof.

iii) Do not hesitate to punish
I've been in an alliance where the leader gave everyone the benefit of doubt a little too much. Friendly alliances and even his own members kept complaining about a specific member. That said member was sniping, jamming and even using foul language at times, for which he got temporarily banned. In those cases, be certain to take action. Do not punish someone the first time they misbehave, trust me on this, there are many hot-heads in BD. Issue a warning first. If there is no improvement noted, go ahead and punish him. At first, the punishment should not be too harsh, unless it really has to be. There is no default set of punishments you can access, use your imagination. It's probably accepted by the entire player community of BD that the biggest punishment is kicking the member out of the alliance and seizing his ops (even killing him and taking his crystal).

iv) Democracy?
There are times when your alliance will be called upon to take part in a war, or give away that relic etc etc.. From the very start of the era, let your members know what alliance they are in and how decisions are made. Most alliance leaders I've seen do not enforce their opinion, but rather ask their members to provide their insight/preference on the matter, which they then take into consideration before making a choice. This is yet another way to strengthen the bonds amongst your members and make everyone feel part of the team. I personally feel that it is the only way you can have a successful alliance. Remember, BD is a game. You are supposed to have fun in games. Dictators are never fun, even though they are at times beneficial.

v) Be friendly and open towards other alliances and players
No one likes an arrogant leader who only values his members and doesn't give a rat's @ss for everyone else. Always be friendly to all alliances, even to those that have little to no power to hurt you. Making friends is way better than making enemies, and BD is a long-term game that's heavily based on friendships.

vi) Peace, not war
Sometimes, it's better to attack than to negotiate. Added to that, you don't want to seem weak to your fellow members, especially at times or critical importance. However, most of the time, it is better to sign NAPs (Non Aggression Pact) with other alliances than to attack them in order to get them out of the way. Rememeber, not everyone plays to win, some are here to have fun. It's alliances with those players that you will want to befriend. They can be helpful at times if friendly, and a major knockback if hostile.

vii) Subs
A sub-alliance is essentially an extension of your own. If you look through your sub's member and all you see is meatshields, ready to get hit first if you get attacked, you've done something wrong. Do not treat your sub as if they are inferior to the main alliance. A sub is a great way for new players to learn the game, and well, they might as well assist you a little while doing it. If you have a sub, always make sure to have players you trust in it, as well as a responsible leader. If during a war, your opponent messages your sub saying "Well hey, things seem to be going pretty bad for your main. How about you step out of the way and we don't attack you?" and the answer your opponent gets is "yes", then you clearly failed.
There are many tactics associated with using a sub. If you are sure they can hold on their own, create your colonies on different parts on the world, in order to cover more space, have seperate hunting grounds and be able to secure more relics later on. Or, have them be the backbone of the main alliance, securing the areas near your colonies and hunting there while you and your members expand and hunt farther out.

NOTES:
Be sure to let all your members know what is acceptable and what is not the moment they enter the alliance, to prevent misunderstandings later on.
Do not write checks your body can't cash. Don't promise to help to help other alliances when you do not have the army or the means to do so. Be sure to only promise what you are certain you can do.

I will be updating this in case anything else comes to mind.
If something needs clearing or you have any more questions, ask.
Also, see: viewtopic.php?f=171&t=25464

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]