It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Major flaw in tutorial?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:31 pm 
Major
Major

I do not wish to sound harsh with this post but it may come across that way, if it does I apologize. One thing many people tend to forget or simply don't think of is all of the top players once started out as these newbs which had their ops and were conquered. We were able to learn the game and become those top players through perseverance and making friends however. None of the game mechanics is this way have changed since the beginning of bd. Based on attributes it does take to become a top player though I think this "hostile" environment should remain because the players that can get passed that are the ones that will stick with bd for years like we all have. I'd rather create a system that allows old players to teach new players in a more efficient way than to create anymore shields or game changes for newbs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:16 pm 
Private
Private

Korupt, you do have a point and 'cause it's your view on things it's of no use arguing about it :) It's the way you see things and I can even agree with it, or at least one of my harsh alter egos within me can. At the same time I still think that the game can be adjusted in direction of more user-friendliness, not making the game itself "softer". aister already said that the safety of a conquered territory is of highest priority for the whole gaming process (which I have not experienced yet, as a newcomer), so protection of OPs in this case is not an option for implementation, I understand that. At the same time I shared with you observations that you yourself have already long forgotten, even though you remember a time when you were a newb, but you won't be able to feel how it was, and your thoughts are more concentrated on advanced gameplay. I too wouldn't want hordes of "not-caring-players" in a game like BD, but some of the most important basics of gameplay are not explained in the tutorial, which can be corrected in a clever way, without stepping on your dedicated player's toes.

You don't want unknown players to appear in conquered territory? But your tutorial leads just to that. The devs basically created the basis for that by not explaining some important features of BD from the start.

Seriously, it's not about me anymore, I can let it be :) because for my next fresh start on a server I already know what to pay attention to. But every newb out there will thank you for a change, if unknowingly, of course ;-)

aister wrote:
about the second suggestion, razing an OP require 24 control ticks, and to be honest, rarely any tutorial OPs are left for 24 ticks.

I knew you would say that. =)
But devs are gods of their realm when it comes to coding. I believe it can't be that hard to just make this first tutorial outpost somewhat "unique" and let them raze it without tick restriction. That would pretty much solve the "issue" with the negative impact of those first attacks, introduce a more challenging gameplay to the community, as there won't be any newb OPs to conquer, and new players will come out of protection a bit wiser and more prepared. Korupt, you were talking about hard challenges? Well, here you got one :) but rather not for newbs, more for the experienced players.

Or is there a real reason WHY you don't want to change that? I can't be the first one to come up with solutions...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
Major
Major

In short my stance has been and will remain we must educate the newbs rather than protect them. By shielding them from having their op take or being conquered or anything that could be deemed negative we are acting as an overprotective parent. When it finally is time for the child or newb in this case to "go out into the world" they will still be slaughtered as they are simply not prepared even more so if we implement these protections. That is why my main focus is always to teach the newbs and equip them with the knowledge and skills they will need to survive. This game requires resilience without that no matter how much I may teach someone they will not survive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
Captain
Captain

The more we protect them the longer other people have to prepare to kill them with a lead anyway :roll:

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 am 
Private
Private

In other words, the game plays in such a way, that whoever enters after 50-90 ticks is doomed to be prey for others, right? And the truth is, that the game becomes only enjoyable if a newcomer is patient enough to wait weeks, or probably a month+ for some server to start anew? It's both good and bad, what else is there to say? :) This way DB will always stay a place for a small community of dedicated players, it's no product to make money with and perhaps it's good this way. I don't mean to say making money should be the priority of developers - I'm strictly against it and usually avoid P2W-games like a pest, it depends rather on the approach devs make to bring out a product.
One good example is "Path of Exile", which is a 100% Free-2-Play game without any money draining hidden features whatsoever, but they make good profit, a lot higher than many recent P2W games out there, because it appeals to a wider audience and they are independent of any kind of sponsorship, free to create a world as they see fit, implementing what they like, not what they are forced to.

Well, I made my point. If one day some devs decide to take interest in it, I'd be happy to help, for now I'll examine the world and practice being conquered... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 am 
Captain
Captain

FragTrex wrote:
In other words, the game plays in such a way, that whoever enters after 50-90 ticks is doomed to be prey for others, right? And the truth is, that the game becomes only enjoyable if a newcomer is patient enough to wait weeks, or probably a month+ for some server to start anew? It's both good and bad, what else is there to say? :) This way DB will always stay a place for a small community of dedicated players, it's no product to make money with and perhaps it's good this way. I don't mean to say making money should be the priority of developers - I'm strictly against it and usually avoid P2W-games like a pest, it depends rather on the approach devs make to bring out a product.
One good example is "Path of Exile", which is a 100% Free-2-Play game without any money draining hidden features whatsoever, but they make good profit, a lot higher than many recent P2W games out there, because it appeals to a wider audience and they are independent of any kind of sponsorship, free to create a world as they see fit, implementing what they like, not what they are forced to.

Well, I made my point. If one day some devs decide to take interest in it, I'd be happy to help, for now I'll examine the world and practice being conquered... :twisted:

Wrong, I've seen plenty of alliances win coming in late. I've even seen people win solo coming in 500+ ticks late

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 am 
Major
Major

I personally have won when placing at tick 862. There are other eras where I have placed a few hundred ticks in but that is the first one that comes to mind. I finished with most power, most conquers, most wrecks capture, most units killed, most ops taken, and the largest army on the server. All that to say you aren't just food for people that placed earlier but you can still dominate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 am 
Captain
Captain

FragTrex wrote:

you looks determine, message me your Skype ;) lets roll

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2