It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Involving yourself in your childs religious affiliations.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Jake wrote:
*Cracks knuckles*

Actually, I agree with you. I was referring specifically to Christianity and Catholicism I actually like the Hindu and Buddhist approach. Also, yes science contradicts Christianity, specifically Evolution over Creationism and the Big Bang over Creationism.

I apologize if I offended you, although Religion served a purpose for providing answers it is really no longer needed. But really, the way Christianity was used after the fall of Rome was pretty brutal, with the crusades and all. Realistically speaking, that kind of bloodshed would have been impossible without Catholicism, however I'm sure people would have found another reason to kill each other.

I'm not sure what you're arguing with me for though.

Also, when you ask if someone has taught us that science is the opposite of religion, I answer with a yes. I was raised Catholic and went to a private school until I was nine, when my mom switched me to a public school. I discovered that Atheism was much more sensible than the Church in around 7th grade, and now I am here.

(That being said, this post was still not about me. I thought about it when I was reading Huxley and it talked about conditioning our kids/brainwashing and I thought about Christianity in the States. Again man, sorry if I offended you.)

christianity was, and is still, being used as a tool for the guys on top to gain and keep their powers. however, christianity and religions as a whole is not at fault here... i'll talk more when i got home though

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 pm 
Major
Major

You and I Aister, are on the same page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:01 pm 
Captain
Captain

I agree with korupt on this one

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 am 
Private
Private

Jake wrote:
science contradicts Christianity, specifically Evolution over Creationism and the Big Bang over Creationism.

Except most modern Christians don't actually believe those things.
Excluding evangelists, most people don't actual take the Bible as a 100% true document. For example, the Catholic Church (which most Christians follow, and make up ~1/6th of the people on Earth) openly rejects Intelligent Design and Young Earth Creationism, and has recognised evolution for atleast 60 years.

Jake wrote:
Religion served a purpose for providing answers it is really no longer needed.

I disagree.
Firstly, there are still some question with indefinite answers, such as life after death.
Secondly, many of the sociological and psychological benefits of religion are still as relevant todays as they were thousands of years ago, e.g. it's known that talking about your problems is psychologically healthy, so being able to talk (to God) about something so deep and personal than you would never tell another soul, can be a great benefit.

Jake wrote:
that kind of bloodshed would have been impossible without Catholicism

Except that that kind of bloodshed has happened without religion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:05 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

tbh, atheism is more or less a religion so...lol.

anyway, i think it's acceptable (and expected i guess) for a parent to kinda push their children in a certain direction, but in the end it's still the child's decision as to what they believe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:50 am 
Major
Major

fake wrote:
Jake wrote:
science contradicts Christianity, specifically Evolution over Creationism and the Big Bang over Creationism.

Except most modern Christians don't actually believe those things.
Excluding evangelists, most people don't actual take the Bible as a 100% true document.

For example, the Catholic Church (which most Christians follow, and make up ~1/6th of the people on Earth)

I am very aware of the Catholic church. I attended Catholic school and I have experienced-first hand-creationist education. Although the school may touch modern science sometimes, it ignores the parts it doesn't like.

openly rejects Intelligent Design and Young Earth Creationism, and has *recognized* evolution for *at least* 60 years.

Jake wrote:
Religion served a purpose for providing answers it is really no longer needed.

I disagree.
Firstly, there are still some question with indefinite answers, such as life after death.
Secondly, many of the sociological and psychological benefits of religion are still as relevant todays as they were thousands of years ago, e.g. it's known that talking about your problems is psychologically healthy, so being able to talk (to God) about something so deep and personal than you would never tell another soul, can be a great benefit.

Jake wrote:
that kind of bloodshed would have been impossible without Catholicism

Except that that kind of bloodshed has happened without religion.

I accidentally took a pretty clear side on this. I didn't mean to start an argument about religion, I was just asking whether enforcing it on your kids is ethical or not. There were plenty of wars over religion, but like I said in my last post but you cut it out, I am skeptical that religion necessarily was the purpose for these wars or if it was the manipulation key that got the public to pursue in supporting their countries international affairs.

Getting back to the point though, rather than arguing about religion, do you believe it is acceptable to enforce religion on your children? Especially in instances where parents are extreme and home school and keep them away from modern media, just to present no other option but Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, or whatever.

And hai Tenkai.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:41 pm 
Private
Private

Jake wrote:
I am very aware of the Catholic church. I attended Catholic school and I have experienced-first hand-creationist education. Although the school may touch modern science sometimes, it ignores the parts it doesn't like.

Well I went to a Catholic school too, and they taught evolution there. And didn't you say you switched when you were 9? You can't realy say they don't teach it, when you weren't around for the years that they teach it in.

Okay, seeing as you want to go back on topic, I'll say one last, generalised thing.
People who oppose all religion tend to have a very narrow view on what religion is.
Religion is not about teaching people that science is wrong and evil, or about fighting people from other religions and punishing anyone who says anything against your religion.
Religion is about sharing a common belief in metaphysical (i.e. that can neither be proven, nor disproven, by science nor logic) and moral matters.

And to answer the main question, yes it can be acceptable to encourage your child to share your religion.
In fact, I'd say it can be morally wrong not to in certain cases. (e.g. if your family or society are strongly religious, and exclusion could lead to physical or psychological suffering for your child. Only when the 'teaching' causes more suffering to the child, than they would suffer from not being a part of the religion, or if you teach them something that would cause suffering to others, would it be wrong to teach them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

Idk from what the news says the pope approves of abortion, gay marriage and gun control or something. The 1st two seem very anti-catholic if you take into account what the religion stands for in the first place. Ironic isnt it

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm 
News Team
News Team

Who cares? They're your child, teach them how you want. Whether they accept your teachings or not are of their choice when they become an adult.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:37 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Jake wrote:
This discussion was inspired by me reading a book called A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and his essays The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell.

Jake

just going off topic a moment

"Brave New World" is a very good book

If you liked that you should read "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell

Its of a similar flavor to Brave New World but in my opinion its even better ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next