It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Euthanasia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

While that situation seems overly bleak and many might think it's better to die it just feels likes you guys are devaluing Life.

I don't really know how to explain why life is so valuable and thus why euthanasia should not be considered but yea that's pretty much why i think what i think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Okay, let's put it in another perspective for you.

You're diagnosed with liver sclerosis and have 3 months to live. You can't urinate on your own and you're stuck to your bed 23 hours a day. Not to mention you're in tremendous amount of pain without meds. Meds that are extremely expensive since this story happens to be taking place in an American hospital and not to mention you have no insurance.

Here in another month the doctor tells you that you'll start experiencing memory loss and spouts of alzheimers due to the amount of toxins not being cleaned through your liver. You start to not recognize the nurses/doctors/family members visiting you.

With this as an example, do you want to continue living? Would you wish for your family member to experience this? Forgive me for being the bad guy for saying I would absolutely wish for my sick family member to rest in peace rather than live in agony.

This is what happened with my uncle actually and it was his fault with the liver sclerosis he was a heavy drinker. He also never mentioned whether or not he wanted the cord pulled and every time we visited him the last month of his life his eyes stood right through us like we weren't there. It's an incredibly revolting experience to see such a close member of your life to be there but not actually be there mentally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 am 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

Anarchist69x wrote:
Okay, let's put it in another perspective for you.

You're diagnosed with liver sclerosis and have 3 months to live. You can't urinate on your own and you're stuck to your bed 23 hours a day. Not to mention you're in tremendous amount of pain without meds. Meds that are extremely expensive since this story happens to be taking place in an American hospital and not to mention you have no insurance.

Here in another month the doctor tells you that you'll start experiencing memory loss and spouts of alzheimers due to the amount of toxins not being cleaned through your liver. You start to not recognize the nurses/doctors/family members visiting you.

With this as an example, do you want to continue living? Would you wish for your family member to experience this? Forgive me for being the bad guy for saying I would absolutely wish for my sick family member to rest in peace rather than live in agony.

This is what happened with my uncle actually and it was his fault with the liver sclerosis he was a heavy drinker. He also never mentioned whether or not he wanted the cord pulled and every time we visited him the last month of his life his eyes stood right through us like we weren't there. It's an incredibly revolting experience to see such a close member of your life to be there but not actually be there mentally.
My family had close friends who were in a very similar situation to this.. I agree 100%, sometimes, as crazy as it seems it's better to just pass, peacefully and with your family and friends than endure months or years of anguish, pain and suffering.

Most Crystals: 121
Highest Power: 212

Sensual bath time feat. Ferr3t
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

First i want to say i'm really sorry for these experiences you guys have had. And i really don't know how it feels no matter how compassionate i try to be. so forgive me if i seem rude or ignorant, I'm not trying to be. :)

like i said i don't know how that feels and no matter how much i try to imagine it i can't and so i will refer back to my last post on the matter of your family members' situation.

Another thing. Where do you draw the line? When is it right to "pull the plug on someone"?

This is somewhat relevant but maybe not. There are probably millions of people who live in absolute poverty that as you described in your last post(anarchist) that could be living in a similar situation as your family member or worse. Are you not be saying it's okay to go head and kill those millions of people too?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Obviously it's a double edged sword when it comes to a persons life especially a family member. But if you were to place yourself in their shoes how would you feel suffering a very slow and painful death? How would you think your family would feel watching you suffer a slow death?

My previous post is just one example that I have a personal experience with and feel like taking his life would have been a much more humane and better way of passing on.

I'm just saying let the family decide, assuming the person can't himself, to pull the cord not the doctors or anyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 am 
Captain
Captain

Ferr3t wrote:
I agree with Anarchist. I also think, that the patient must be diagnosed with a serious illness, and must have AGREED (before he/she fell sick and is in a sound state of mind) to be able to be euthanised if their family agreed it the best option for them.

^This is already legal in most places.

As for others arguments...would you rather walk in someones room and they are lying covered in blood from some horrible attempt at suicide. Or get a numbed quick and painless version of it at a clinic/hospital ect.?

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

isnt this legal i checked the laws it was legal under agreement by the patient and family

BMO chop(If this was a real attack you'd be dead)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
Private
Private

It's legal in some countries, but not in others
A quick google gives;
Illegal: Australia, India, Ireland, Israel, Mexico, Norway, Turkey, UK, USA
In Limbo: Canada
Legal: Belgium, Colombia, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland

lifenstuff wrote:
life is so valuable

Aren't there like, over a gazillion different life forms alive on earth at the moment? And aren't zillions created, and die each day?
We need to kill plants and animals for food, and bacteria to stay healthy.
Life is no more valuable than any other complex series of chemical reactions.

But despite that, all humans have the right to life, an so conversely, also have the right to death.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

this to but religion is also mixed here also moral,ethics,the family,the person and the doctor

BMO chop(If this was a real attack you'd be dead)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

fake wrote:
Aren't there like, over a gazillion different life forms alive on earth at the moment? And aren't zillions created, and die each day?
We need to kill plants and animals for food, and bacteria to stay healthy.
Life is no more valuable than any other complex series of chemical reactions.

But despite that, all humans have the right to life, an so conversely, also have the right to death.

People view themselves as things that are more valuable. Its how we are wired naturally. As proof the worst smell to any animal is the smell of that animals fresh burning -if that animal can smell-

Retired NEWS Reporter.

Last edited by Slinkybd on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next