It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism, is it the norm?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

lilconquer wrote:
maybe we are all nothings that with our trapped minds created a "god" with our (minds i guess?) to create a physical world for us to exist is and god is us and we are god

it's probably best not to go into that area. it's very hard to wrap your mind around it and to my knowledge is probably useless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:39 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

he can have his ugly yellow-green back i am used to see! All bright yellow colors are mine :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Please keep all topics related to the thread or you will be issued a warning kthx :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Yes, would hate to see this color war turn into a wrestling match.

Or would I...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Private
Private

Anarchist69x wrote:
Yes, would hate to see this color war turn into a wrestling match.

I own all the colours!

So colour war over,
what do people think of modern 'made-up' religions like Jediism, Pastifarianism, and Scientology?

Last edited by generated-yHlItFMurOF1-1488397282 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

i think those are called cults?

they're really crazy to be honest. for those who call some religions like islam chritianity and so on crazy, this would INSANITY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I can make my own religion just by believing in something others do not does that make it not valid? No. The thing is most religions are based on other religions with very few different aspects. Cult or extremist don't really think it matters it's all a religious belief to them.

Is there really a belief system called "jedi"? If so does it relate to anything with wookies and lasers?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm 
Private
Private

Anarchist69x wrote:
I can make my own religion just by believing in something others do not does that make it not valid?
I don't see why other peoples beliefs would make your beliefs any more or less valid, only evidence/proof for or against something can change its validity.
As for weather you can make your own religion or not, I don't see why not, but I think religion is more complicate than just belief in something unknown (you wouldn't say believing in psychics makes someone religious).
Tell you what, tell me some of the 'commandments' for your religion, and if they're any good I'll join.

Anarchist69x wrote:
Is there really a belief system called "jedi"? If so does it relate to anything with wookies and lasers?

My bad, it's called Jediism (I've edited my previous post). And yes, it's the same religion as in star wars, and it's actually the 6th largest religion in England (beating Buddhism into 7th place)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Captain
Captain

I have a friend who's religion states that everyone is part of their religion even if its against their beliefs. They don't have to do anything to become a official member. But in the book it talks about a spaghetti monster that lives in the sky next to a volcano of beer on pirate island. You don't have to believe anything the book says though, your still part of the religion.

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Just thought I should throw this in, even if juuuust a bit late.

Simply put, religion practitioners were usually VERY strong-willed in their beliefs, using faith to ascert all the things they understand as the absolute truth. That's why, when science discovered something that proved some beliefs wrong, religion rejected both the discovery and science altogether, but it was more of a political conflict. Eventually, though, science was rather easily able to outprove the claims of religions (mainly the Catholic church) as it simply prings solid proof of anything it postulates. Any person can try the scientific method and check for himself if it is true or not, but you might read the same passages from the Bible as a priest does and understand something completely different. No matter how strong one's faith is, the only thing that can make you doubt of science as a whole is fanatism.

Also, any certain religion can change throughout the passage of time, if the authority on such religion dictates it so (eg. the Catholic Church for catholicism). Even if something wasn't accepted by that religion a while ago, if it is accepted now, you are abiding that religion. You don't have to follow the postulates of, say, 1000 years ago to have to belong to it, you have to abide by the postulates that run the religion today.

Just one more thing to add: science isnt comparable to religion, it's not in the same dimension. Science has absolutely no way of proving or rejecting anything spiritual-related, unless the results can be found by experimentation that any scientist could perform if he chose to do so (and under the given parameters). True enough most of those studying science have a tendency to be agnostic (I'm an example) but there's no correlation that for studying science one becomes agnostic, or even non-christian. Hell, your religion doesn't have to change from before studies to after studies. It's all individual choice at the end of the day, and science hasn't destroyed christianism; far from it xD

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next