It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Atheism, is it the norm?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Major
Major

Alright, so I was talking to my Aunt the other day and we were on her way to her house and I forgot and showed her an atheist joke meme from someone I follow on Facebook, his name is "God" lol... Anyways it showed jesus with a DJ board thing and it said

"Watch me resurect"

"These fresh beats"

Or something like that, she told me it was scary to her that I wasn't religious anymore. I said I was sorry for being offensive I didn't mean to do that and I gave her my reasoning (by first asking permission to share as to not offend)

I told her, that I thought about the things Americans believe that already contradict what it says in the holy book, millions of Christians believe in the big bang which in the old church would have been called blasphemy. The Church recognized the possibility of life outside earth, for gods sakes (no pun intended) we are all atheists already, believing in aliens and exploring space we devout far more time in our daily lives to technology than religion.

So I told her, I was already an atheist at heart. I learned about evolution, it made sense. I learned about the big bang theory, it made sense. I learn about physics and mathematics and chemistry. It all makes sense.

I told her that I thought religion was just the way we could explain science back in those days, I mean look at the early Romans and Greeks why is it so ridiculous to believe those religions but it is perfectly rational to believe in Catholicism?

What about 700,000,000 Hindu people that believe in something completely different? How can we say they are wrong and we are right even though we have relatively the same amount of evidence supporting both religions? How did we ever know we were right other than the fact our parents told it to us as fact, not faith?

So my question is, has Atheism really just become normal? Are Christians really Christian? Or are they all in denial?

Post subject: Re: Atheism, is it the norm?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:27 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

i will kind of address your first point, since i don't have much time.

I think you are making science as something that is not compatible with Christianity or maybe other religions while the reality is(i think) that some discoveries in science just prove christianity to be true.

I will try to give a better response when i come back later or tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Please do come back lifenstuff, I really wonder which scientific discoveries in your opinion prove christianity to be true :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

Like u said any person still believing in a god in 21st century is living in denial..

Where was the god of dinosaurs when an asteroid struck the earth and wiped them out.. If there was no religion we would have no israel-arab war, no kashmir, no ireland thing, no jihad.. You know where we would be without religion?? In some other planet making new colony..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

no signlord, when there is uncertainty or a lack of knowledge about something, there are places for religion to grow. And we are having a lot of uncertainty, life after death, other dimensions, parallel universe, the creation of the universe, the existence of everything before the creation of universe, etc etc. When those things are still unclear, religion will grow.

the way it grows though, is depended on the people who research on those unclear matters. Some might ignore the whole scientific point and just say that "these things, no matter how many proof we have, are still guesses, which are based on theories which are, again, more guesses". Some might try to find a middle point to the problem.

Take the big bang for example, there are many scientific facts and theories (which are widely accepted in the science community) to support the Big Bang theory. While the first group will ignore the whole Big Bang theory, the second group will say something like "the god created the universe, which result in the Big Bang".

My opinion about this matter: idc, u're free to believe in wat u believe in. As for me, I'm free to not care about the things I don't care about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm 
Captain
Captain

@Aister.. ya true that.. Usually i don't go on 'preaching' atheism to people.. that too in forums.. had a lil too much scotch :mrgreen:
the thing is every1 has their own belief.. some1 wisely said 'religion is like a p** ** (sorry), it's fine as long as you keep it with urself ands not point it to everyone.. and ya don't stick it under my children's throat..

also as long as we don't let science grow there is no hope for humanity. Think about it an asteroid coming towards earth, which can wipe out everything clean.. do we have any sytem to prevent it? Religious people would just pray or say we deserve it.. But it is the science which can actually provide solution for it.. But sadly scientific development is stalled due to narrow-mindness, all the conflicts n greed.. If all the money that goes in war goes into science we can have cure of cancer n hiv by now..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 pm 
Captain
Captain

Milanos wrote:
Please do come back lifenstuff, I really wonder which scientific discoveries in your opinion prove christianity to be true :)

Milan must not be big into science :lol:

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

So there is a debate about religion in the forums of a game about war and tactics...ok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

Harbinger745 wrote:
So there is a debate about religion in the forums of a game about war and tactics...ok

why not?? :? It's in discussions n debate section..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

signlord wrote:
Harbinger745 wrote:

why not?? :? It's in discussions n debate section..

In that case let the debate begin!
By the way im Catholic but I respect everyones views and religions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next