It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please read the stickied topic marked "Please read before posting"~

Please only post here if you need technical help with BattleDawn, or if you have information that can help someone.

Please stay on topic.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battle Scoring off?! Ludicrous
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

the source code is hard-coded in the game, which means if u change it, u'll change the code for all servers, including those in mid-era and those in big wars... It's unfortunate but I don't think we can do anything about that.

The only way is to shut down all worlds that go into havoc, and when all worlds are shut down, put the update, and reset them once after another. Idk, but I think the whole update would take at least 2 months.

so yeah, we have to put up with it, have to consider urself unlucky that u're having a big war in those times

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:58 am 
Corporal
Corporal

aister, are you one of the developers?

If the new scoring system can be turned off, then surely you guys already have a way to do it. Surely it can be controlled with a simple "per world" configuration setting. I'm sure admins already have to set certain parameters on per era basis, e.g. end of world tick

Surely it can be as simple as:

Case Scoring system of:

System 1): Score = CalcScore1()

System 2): Score = CalcScore2()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm not the dev but I atleast know how the server works... the only per-world customization is the tick speed, map, and alliance size,...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I'm still not hearing any valid reason(s) why this can not be done. Anyway, the guys said they would look into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:23 am 
Major
Major

Dragoa wrote:
I find it ridiculous that you guys just turn it off mid era. I understand there is a problem. But the entire era is now messed up. Those who got points before you turned it off benefit. Those who fight after you turned it off do not get points. How is this fair? Please consider carefully the impact of your actions before just doing stuff like this. It was the same when it was first introduced i.e. you guys just introduced it mid era?!

If you introduce changes to this scoring system you have to commit to an entire era of running it like that. Just starting it somewhere in the middle or turning it off whenever you find a problem with it creates more problems than just running with it as is and is not fair to all players. Implement the fix in the following era, DON'T JUST RUIN THE EXISTING ERA!

but there was something seriously wrong with it some people weren't getting battle score and some were so it would be more unfair to have kept it going

free tokens!

-Baz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I think they can't be bothered installing an on and off switch for a formula which is going to be constantly left on once it is completed. When it comes to world changes, tick speed and alliance size they constantly change but this new scoring system won't change in the future so why bother making them changable :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Dragoa wrote:
I'm still not hearing any valid reason(s) why this can not be done. Anyway, the guys said they would look into it.
aister wrote:
the source code is hard-coded in the game, which means if u change it, u'll change the code for all servers, including those in mid-era and those in big wars... It's unfortunate but I don't think we can do anything about that.

The only way is to shut down all worlds that go into havoc, and when all worlds are shut down, put the update, and reset them once after another. Idk, but I think the whole update would take at least 2 months.

so yeah, we have to put up with it, have to consider urself unlucky that u're having a big war in those times

source code is hard coded => all servers run in one and only one code => update = changing that code => update is done on all servers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 am 
Corporal
Corporal

aister, repeating yourself does not make your statement any more valid. I understand all servers run the same code but as suggested above a per world configuration setting can be used which can be set by admin to select the scoring method for that era. Any developer worth his salt should be able to do this very easily considering they already have the code for both scoring mechanisms, and in fact were able to turn it off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

becuz the source code is huge, and storing 10+ source code and the game clients is too much for the server fee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

i think the question is, if the 'source code' cant be changed, then how do you change the variables that exist (such as which map to load, which tick speed, etc etc?) There has to be world-specific variables that load.

The problem is, i believe the BD server's are not all run from the client. Battles are calculated on separate machines that do things similar to 'batch' work. The battles and updates are calculated all at once. Each event would have an ID.
Do i think it would be possible to keep battlescore in? Yeah... but that would probably require re-building the combat engine....again, which would incur MORE bugs in the middle of a round. An update like that would mean changing the sorting of battle calculations. Since, as it is right now, its all done at once, you would HAVE to do a global update.
Imagine with me that there is a bug with THAT update? (saaaay, 10% of all battle events dont get calculated... they just get lost). How would you like it if your major battles just got cancelled because it wasn't calculated... or since no BR came back, all troops got whipped by a SPAM attack vs hundreds of squads?

So yeah... was there good reason to stop the battlescore? Yes... Did some people who changed their gameplay get hurt when battlescore was taken off? Ofcourse... but a lot of people got hurt when battlescore got put in.
We can all agree that the implementation of BattleScore was flawed, and it needs to be tweaked and tested OUT of game before it is ever put back in.

My posts are NOT from spam... they are from suggestions :)

Working on new game (contact for info)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next