It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Forum rules


1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
BD Maintenance Team
BD Maintenance Team
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:55 pm
Posts: 1546
Gender: male
aister wrote:
Tenkai wrote:
well some overly technical people need you to clarify if you mean north, south, or central america.

or better, the country or the continent
lifenstuff wrote:
and who knows maybe canadians refer to themselves as the only americans who live in the world as USAians do :roll:

I don't think so... US might disregard other countries in America Cont. but I never see any country disregard US...



ok that's fine but do you think it's ridiculous i asked the question where in america?

_________________
Image
Apollo wrote:
Eh, I try to win every once and awhile. Gotta keep up appearances.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 2337
Location: no location for you
Gender: female
Tenkai wrote:
i just realized how dumb the name newfoundland is. it's like the guy who named it had absolutely no creativity whatsoever. he could've chose something cool like texas but noooo.

texas is a lame name, and we have some cool names in newfoundland, like come by chance and.... well i shouldnt say the one i was thinking of :s

_________________
Image
Image
PSN: aLpHaOmEgAXII


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm
Posts: 2236
Location: right here obviously
Gender: female
OmegaXII wrote:
Tenkai wrote:
i just realized how dumb the name newfoundland is. it's like the guy who named it had absolutely no creativity whatsoever. he could've chose something cool like texas but noooo.

texas is a lame name, and we have some cool names in newfoundland, like come by chance and.... well i shouldnt say the one i was thinking of :s

>newfoundland
>comebychance

oh my god, canadians cannot into imagination and creativity.

_________________
the fabulous forum person, now with steam! steam ID: PrincessAbi


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 pm 
Captain
Captain
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 am
Posts: 680
Location: all bd servers
Gender: male
i need a doctor
cauz i am thinking that america is in europe !!
is it cauz of the end of teh world??
or cauz omega said it??
or cauz aister said it???

i really need a doc

_________________
IGN - india, styubid nub
Skype- english.battledawn
Image
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:49 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 343
Location: Under YouR BeD !!
Gender: male
Tenkai wrote:
i just realized how dumb the name newfoundland is. it's like the guy who named it had absolutely no creativity whatsoever. he could've chose something cool like texas but noooo.

lmao !

_________________
NUTZ ~ Nucking FutZ
FKU ~ Fanatic KilleRS Unit


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Private
Private
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:21 pm
Posts: 6
Gender: male
America is a continent. The American continent spans from all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, covering both North, Central and South America. It was named that way over 400 years ago by the spanish, in honor of italian Americo Vespucio.

Only 50 years ago or so, the USA starting calling that continent "The Americas" in order to justify calling themselves "America". The truth is the country is called "The United States OF America", OF being the important word here, meaning it's a bunch of states that are IN America.

If you ask anyone in south America if they are Americans, they'll say Yes. If you ask the Spanish, they'll tell you America is the whole continent. There are song written to this continent everywhere, for 4 centuries, calling it America.

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change *CENSORED*.

I'm from Argentina, and I'm American.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 2337
Location: no location for you
Gender: female
....ok, answer this question how a normal person would instead of overthinking it

_________________
Image
Image
PSN: aLpHaOmEgAXII


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Major
Major
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:48 pm
Posts: 2708
Gender: male
American means the United States. Just like how:

Britain = British
Canada = Canadian
India = Indian
China = Chinese

United States of America = American

What else would the citizens be called? America is in the name of our country, it's not because we are the most mentionable country.

=) Hope I halped :D

almafuerte wrote:
America is a continent. The American continent spans from all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, covering both North, Central and South America. It was named that way over 400 years ago by the spanish, in honor of italian Americo Vespucio.

Only 50 years ago or so, the USA starting calling that continent "The Americas" in order to justify calling themselves "America". The truth is the country is called "The United States OF America", OF being the important word here, meaning it's a bunch of states that are IN America.

If you ask anyone in south America if they are Americans, they'll say Yes. If you ask the Spanish, they'll tell you America is the whole continent. There are song written to this continent everywhere, for 4 centuries, calling it America.

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change *CENSORED*.

I'm from Argentina, and I'm American.


Actually you are Argentinian. It's just a name for the citizens of our country, calm down. Like I said what else would we be called?

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 pm 
Private
Private
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:21 pm
Posts: 6
Gender: male
Your replay doesn't make any sense.

You are mentioning countries that have a single, original name. Your country doesn't have a single, original name. Since it was born as a union of otherwise independent, sovereign states, it never had an original name, the states just used a description, that eventually turned into a name, that description being the united states of america.

Let's use an example.

Africa is a continent.

Some countries in Africa used "Africa" in their names, namely the Central African Republic and South Africa. People from the Central African Republic call themselves "Central Africans" while people from South Africa are called "South Africans". They don't call themselves "Africans" because they know their countries have Africa in their names because they are part of the African continent, and they don't call their country "Africa" because they know Africa is the continent where their country is. They are still all "Africans", just as anyone from Kenya is African too.

EXACTLY the same situation applies to the United States.

The name "America" predates the existence of your country by roughly 300 years. This continent was already called America roughly 300 years before your country came into existence.

Further supporting this fact, is the demonym used for your country in other languages. For example, in spanish, It's "Estadounidense". Similar words are used in French, Portuguese and Italian.

The USA is well known for trying to rewrite history, changing facts, then pretending it's always been that way.

Your country is NOT CALLED America. It's "The United States of America". And while your citizens are Americans, that's a quality anybody from this continent shares.

Now, you said I'm actually Argentinian. I am. I'm also American, because I am a part of the continent known as American. You do realize people from Europe are Europeans, people from Asia are Asians, and people from Africa are Africans? Well, people from America are Americans. I live in the continent known as America, therefore I am American.

If you are going to reply, please make sure you first understand formal logic, and can actually discuss under those terms. If you are going to use anecdotal evidence such as "Canadians are from Canada!", please realize you aren't qualified to participate in a logical exchange, and just hold your thoughts.



Jake wrote:
American means the United States. Just like how:

Britain = British
Canada = Canadian
India = Indian
China = Chinese

United States of America = American

What else would the citizens be called? America is in the name of our country, it's not because we are the most mentionable country.

=) Hope I halped :D

almafuerte wrote:
America is a continent. The American continent spans from all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, covering both North, Central and South America. It was named that way over 400 years ago by the spanish, in honor of italian Americo Vespucio.

Only 50 years ago or so, the USA starting calling that continent "The Americas" in order to justify calling themselves "America". The truth is the country is called "The United States OF America", OF being the important word here, meaning it's a bunch of states that are IN America.

If you ask anyone in south America if they are Americans, they'll say Yes. If you ask the Spanish, they'll tell you America is the whole continent. There are song written to this continent everywhere, for 4 centuries, calling it America.

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change *CENSORED*.

I'm from Argentina, and I'm American.


Actually you are Argentinian. It's just a name for the citizens of our country, calm down. Like I said what else would we be called?


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 8023
Location: Fuyuki City
Gender: male
^agree on that, but it's so much well-known and widely-accepted now that when u say America, u say US.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
WarLingo Android Mobile Game

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Copyright Tacticsoft Ltd. 2008   
Updated By phpBBservice.nl