It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The chinese will rule the sporting world
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:06 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Diazepam wrote:
P.S. If they will do this to produce athletes, they can do it to produce soldiers aswell. Business people. Super smart people. People bread and trained to do one specific thing in life.

How will the west compete, with all of our human rights, where everyone is entitled to be average?

Just gotta stop you there.

Soldiers, yes, most likely. Supersoldiers in terms of physical etc. However there is a thing that I'd like to call over-education. When you get educated and continually have people telling you exactly what to do, how to do it, you lose your own creativity. Believe it or not, many a time in a war it has actually been creativity that made the difference.

I think this is even more the case for business people. Creativity is also important.

For many sports, creativity is not THAT important. Those who think I am hating on sports now, I'm not. Football needs quite some creativity, as does hockey etc. However you can't deny that many of the sports being practiced at the olympic games do not need that much creativity, and that is why through years of training you can excel at it.

So yes, you are probably right in your main point. But I just had to point out that your p.s. was wrong, in my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:22 pm 
Captain
Captain

You're right, I did take my thinking a little too far without actually thinking much about it. But the way things are going in general.. I really think the west has it all wrong if we're to continue like this into the future. (I'm not at all saying the chinese are doing it right though. But they are starting to get the idea)

If you were somehow in charge of a massive population/species/civilisation, eventually it would make sense for everyone to have a speciality decided for them at a very early age, and trained into them in such a away that they won't have much desire/ability to switch to something else.

If you try to give everyone an equal chance at everything... A much smaller percentage will actually reach their potential in a contribution sense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

It's all a matter of perspective and a matter of what you value most. For those individuals condemned to one task the rest of their life, it might not be pleasant. But indeed, for a country it would most likely be beneficial, and make it richer than it would have been.

However now that you are on that train of thought, think of the social system. If you are really thinking about what would be good for a country you would have to go into terrain that probably goes right against your morals.

Why keep the elderly? Why not kill anyone when they are done working? Why not kill anyone who does not make a positive contribution to the wealth of a country? Especially with the advanced in genetic engineering, why not check before someone is born and decide whether they are worth it to come into this world?

I'm not at all saying that this is what I would do, I'm just saying that if you go down that road, you'll have some hard dilemmas to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm 
Captain
Captain

Quote:
Why keep the elderly? Why not kill anyone when they are done working?

I wouldn't expect people to live that long if they were brought up/trained/worked the way I'm thinking :lol:

Quote:
why not check before someone is born and decide whether they are worth it to come into this world?

I would actually be in favour of this. It makes a lot of sense for our race IMO...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Diazepam wrote:
Quote:
Why keep the elderly? Why not kill anyone when they are done working?

I wouldn't expect people to live that long if they were brought up/trained/worked the way I'm thinking :lol:

Quote:
why not check before someone is born and decide whether they are worth it to come into this world?

I would actually be in favour of this. It makes a lot of sense for our race IMO...

Technically speaking it would probably be good "for our race" to kick you off that PC right now and put you to slavery 16 hours a day or kill you if you aren't good enough at doing it.

Doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. Life isn't all about what's good for the race itself, but also about what is good for individuals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Quote:

Races dont exist. There is no genetic variation/pattern that you can show, that differentiates people into races.

But that aside, stuff like that may probably fall into the Eugenics category. If a child is gonna be deformed, or mentally challenged or even just gonna live 5 years, if the mother decides not to abort the baby, then the baby has a right to live. We shouldnt implement this as a policy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

mfreak wrote:
Quote:

Races dont exist. There is no genetic variation/pattern that you can show, that differentiates people into races.

But that aside, stuff like that may probably fall into the Eugenics category. If a child is gonna be deformed, or mentally challenged or even just gonna live 5 years, if the mother decides not to abort the baby, then the baby has a right to live. We shouldnt implement this as a policy.

He is talking about the human race, I am certain. And the human race can actually be classified as a race.

And Allen, why should we not implement this as a policy? I can't say I don't agree, but what is your reasoning for it?

Last time I saw you posting you were posting long, detailed posts with arguments and reasonings, what happened? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

By the time genetic engineering is a widespread and affordable practice, don't you think they would be able to fix just about anything that could be wrong with a newborn baby?

Spoiler:
TKT - Rank 10 E3
NICT - Rank 9 F2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Wolowitz wrote:
By the time genetic engineering is a widespread and affordable practice, don't you think they would be able to fix just about anything that could be wrong with a newborn baby?

As if that would be more economically feasible than just doing an abortion and trying again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Wolowitz wrote:

Do you really think that we should be "fixed", just like that?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next