It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Batman Massacre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:45 pm 
Major
Major

I have one question.

Where was batman?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:54 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Jake wrote:
I have one question.

Where was batman?

thats a good joke but its not very funny when people get murdered now if it was a prank then i would be laughing right now.....

BEST ERA- EARTH SOLO UA FAMILY TOP 50 = ME TAG= UAy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:58 pm 
Major
Major

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Now onto the serious discussion, I was told by a friend he thought he was the Joker or something that's why he gassed them and did what he did.

Is there any news on these rumors? I hope this is not turned into a huge political issue, we don't need division in a time of sorrow and all politics brings is social division.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 pm 
Captain
Captain

famey wrote:
Jake wrote:
I have one question.

Where was batman?

thats a good joke but its not very funny when people get murdered now if it was a prank then i would be laughing right now.....

It depends where you come from. In many places, jokes about these kind of things (even when directly effected) lighten the mood and are appreciated in the situation.

International internet. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Jake wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Now onto the serious discussion, I was told by a friend he thought he was the Joker or something that's why he gassed them and did what he did.

Is there any news on these rumors? I hope this is not turned into a huge political issue, we don't need division in a time of sorrow and all politics brings is social division.

its ok and if you watch world news its on i think

BEST ERA- EARTH SOLO UA FAMILY TOP 50 = ME TAG= UAy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:08 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

It said he set up a profile on adultfriendfinder before he did it. And he said "Looking for someone that's willing to visit me in prison."

Dafuq?

Spoiler:
TKT - Rank 10 E3
NICT - Rank 9 F2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Jake wrote:
I have one question.

Where was batman?

he was on the screen the whole time but he couldn't reach out to help his people.

joker has won this round.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 pm 
Major
Major

Tenkai wrote:
Jake wrote:
I have one question.

Where was batman?

he was on the screen the whole time but he couldn't reach out to help his people.

joker has won this round.

"You win this round Joker!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:27 am 
Captain
Captain

If Seth drops his two cents, I drop my 2 cents

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht

George Costanza from Seinfield :D He puts it quite eloquently.

Seth wrote:

In my opinion though, if you disarm the people, you will only be disarming the legal owners. The nuts and baddies are still going to have these weapons, and that will make the rest of us easy pickins.

Really though, this guy was likely going to do something like this regardless of what was at his access. "Where there is a will, there is a way" as the old addage goes.

Instead, ponder this. How different could things have been if one or two responsible gun owners and CCW permit holders happened to be in that theatre that night, and exercising their right to bear arms? Who knows how many lives could have been saved?

Here is an example of how a reponsible gun owner can change the outcome of such events:
CLICK HERE

First paragraph - paranoia at its finest, you are more likely to harm a friend/relative than fend off a criminal with a gun. You know how people do it elsewhere? They let the police do it, trained professionals. You are not batman, you do not hunt nutters and baddies. This is not the wild wild west.

2nd paragraph, that he was going to do it anyways. Stuff like this can be traced and controlled. If its blackmarket, it can still be traced. Increasing the difficulty or forcing people through darker routes (which are tapped and monitored, you cant buy fertilizer in the US without the CIA knowing it, silly nitrates) decreases the likelihood it would happen. There are plenty of raids based on intelligence that stops extremist groups, domestic ones, from carrying out attacks. Im not saying they would have picked him up for sure, but forcing an otherwise normal medical student to buy a AR assault rifle from a potentially tracked dealer would have raised alarm bells. Why would he want an assault weapon? Why is he also stockpiling explosive material? Why did he order bullet proof gear recently?

3rd paragraph, we need gun carriers everywhere as deterance. Zimmerman was packing, ignored the actual police and resulted in the death of a 17 year old. You think that is off topic but it isnt. People untrained by packing lethal weapons works great in a crowded theatre. Dont worry, they have trained on the range plenty of times, Im sure the tear gas, the kevlar suit and the fact that the target shoots back wont make much of a difference. Different post, you mention that californian incident, where 2 males fired several hundred rounds before finally being incapacitated because police issued hand guns do nothing. Same thing here, but now you want to start an arms race, people should be allowed to carry automatic rifles in their bags. Heck, dont even bother hiding them, everyone everywhere carry a gun, nothing wrong with 50 people in a crowded theatre opening fire with automatic weapons. Collateral damage simply doesnt exist in your world view.
The link you led to is one with a stabbing. After the element of surprise is lost, knife wielders succumb to the power of the mob. Give me a sturdy chair and I can fend off a guy with a knife. Give me a chair and I die if i take on a guy with a shotgun. You can run easily from a knife wielder and the damage they can do is lost in comparison to a gun. Both are deadly, but one is far more dangerous.
Also, it was on private premises, the theatre doesnt allow concealed carriers to enter. Before you start ranting about how "Libruls destroying murika!" note that the stakeholders of the theatre include plenty of "right" wing businesses including bain capital.

I dont have links right now, but if you want, I would google them for you Seth, just for you, because you might struggle with google.

Seth wrote:
You might be able to fashion your own armor if you were really bent on getting some.

Thats not really the issue. The guy was done rampaging when cops got there anyway, and was actually waiting to be arrested like a good nutjob. I dont really see how body armor plays into this at all TBH. What does it matter when no one ever shot back at him anyway?

The issue here is that this is a prime example of why we need MORE education, and MORE states that mandate responsible CCW, not more gun legislation that makes it harder to learn how to be a responsible gun owner! Look around the internet, and you will be able to easily find statistical data where jurisdictions which began to issue CCW permits noticed a tangible reduction in violent crime and murders.

Home made armour is nothing compared to commercial/military grade items. Also it should trigger alarm bells if people do purchase body armour. You only buy Kevlar if you expect to get shot at. It does matter because he was expecting a shootout, with police, but his AR jammed.

regarding CCW (concealed carry weapons), that point is moot since the private property (the theatre) restricted against concealed firearms. Also Im going to ask you to provide a link to statistical data where jurisdictions that issued CCW permits noticed a statistically significant drop in violent crime numbers.

Alright now that I am done completely disagreeing with you, I always need to offer my opinion on a fix. Education, increased regulation regarding automatic weapons. Gun culture in USA means you cant just ban guns, there are just too many floating around for it to work and the culture there makes it political suicide. Instead, education is the key to lower the damage they do (through accidental firings) and reinforce the consequences of them (too many movies and games just have a puff of red) There is a morbid romanticism of guns and in a gun filled environment, its just dangerous. Introduce a quick gun handling class in schools. Age isnt really my call but i think spaced lessons over grade, middle and high school are appropriate. Show them what a real gun wound looks like, make them meet with people who have been shot, who have accidentally discharged a round into themselves, let the children see the scars and become better for it. If they are in an environment full of guns, let them fire a few rounds, understand the importance of safety and the consequences of when you dont place importance on safety. Ive heard that the boy scouts in some states do a really good job regarding gun safety.

Before i said you cant ban guns, but i tell you now you can restrict them, restrict automatic weapons, the normal civilian has no need for them. If you need to establish your 2nd amendment right to fight the government you will need rockets. Either rpgs or SAMs. And basic training in guerilla warfare. Not an AR 15. A civilian would want either a pistol or a hunting rifle for recreational purposes or a sporting rifle for professional shooting. There is no reason to equip a minigun to your 2nd story balcony for "defense of self". Same reason you arent allowed nukes to defend yourself. "Dem commy libz wont get me if i nuke them in responce"

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 am 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

Actually side note to this I saw a video from a phone and what happened is that the guy was supposed trying to be Scare Crow from batman the reports then later changed to the Joker.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next