It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please only post here if you have questions about BattleDawn game play, or if you have information that can help another player asking questions.

Please stay on topic.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why not mixed Units
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 pm 
Private
Private

Can someone explain me why it is recommended to have a single type of units instead of having mixed type of army.

In a typical you have different type of units and most likely there can be some opposition who have different types of units (infantry, vehicles or tanks) so why is it recomended to have single type of units instead of mixed units in one's army?

Post subject: Re: Why not mixed Units
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quote:
First, everyone will do mixed weapons, so if you do only one chassis, the other weapons become useless or less effective. While if you do mix chassis, the other weapons can still kill like normal.

Second, only armor of the same chassis can defend the rest. So if you put armor inf, it will defend damage inf and range inf behind him. They don't care even if your range tank is being massacred on the other side of the battle. This eventually make the armor units less effective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 am 
Private
Private

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'd like to ask some follow-ups, if you'd be so kind.

1.) Are there any big advantages to having mixed troops?

2.) Which unit type would you personally recommend to build an army around? I've heard Cavalry are ridiculously useful, some going as far as saying they're overpowered. I dunno.

3.) Would it seem plausible to have different members of an active alliance making different unit types for their armies?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

there are no big advantages of mixing units... all advantages of mixed squads are too small compare to the disadvantages. Unless you're doing some crazy and complicated strategies then idk... I'm not pro enough to know all the strategies in BD :3

chassis, from inf to tank, the higher it is, the more active and skills you need. Tanks require lots of attention, since it's biggest advantage is in the xp field. While inf need the least attention, fastest to make, fastest to recover in nukes and spy attacks. And veh is somewhere in the middle. average recruiting speed, average hp recover speed, and level up faster than inf (but slower than tank). So it's not surprised that veh is used a lot in non-serious or semi serious alliances.

Having different members making different chassis is the same as mixing squads. It has the same disadvantages in a joint battle (a battle with two or more members participate). The only thing that will make the disadvantages disappear is not to let the two chassis have a joint battle. But doing this u accidentally decrease the total power of ur attacks (Instead of using all 5 squads, you can only use 3 squads)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:31 pm 
Private
Private

Hi Aister,

Thanks for all the information taking it a bit forward. How about mixing different types of units within the same chasis?

For example if you have tanks or infmatry as your chosen chasis is it recommended to have Concussive units only or you can have a mix of concussive, beam and explosive among them?

Secondly is it recommended to even have a single type of upgrade for all for example armour for all or you can have a mix here some armour some damage and some range?

Will appreciate a detailed explanation from some of our experienced players here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

it is recommended to make all kind of weapons (concussive, beam and explosive) but focus on the weapon that goes best with the your enemy (by enemy I meant the alliance that you're going against).

so if you're aiming to kill alliance A, which focus on building tanks. You should do explosive units, but don't forget to make a fair ammount of other weapons too.

however, if the war between you and alliance A is a big battle, you might wanna make them all explosive to maximize your damage.

and about upgrades, there are lots of arguments, but most agree that a ratio of 2 range : 0 damage : 1 armor is the best. I won't do it now but I can go to details as to why 2 range : 1 armor is the best ratio later if you want.

Some people make 1 all armor squad, then 2 range squads. Some people make 20 range inf and 10 armor inf into 1 squad (or 10 range 5 armor for veh, and 7 range 3 armor for tank). They both work as long as u keep 2:1 ratio (or somewhere near that line).

Some people recommend to make only concussive armor, so even if you're making anti tank, you still using concussive armor. This however, won't affect the outcome of the battle, but instead, making sure that every members of your alliance that participate in the fight have the same chance of losing units.

Since explosive armor will die first, then to beam and concussive (unless xp step in), if member B doesn't have explosive armor and member C does, C's explosive armor will die before any of B's armor units.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 am 
Private
Private

Thank you. It is all clear now. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've gotta ask, though...

Say that your alliance decides to build up all Tank/Heavy units. Things go really well for the first 500 ticks or so and you rape and pillage everyone around you.

Another alliance finds you as a threat and wants you out of the picture before relics are released. This alliance happens to have all Cavalry units.

This, in my mind anyway, looks like a big problem. I'm thinking if you at least had mixed unit types, you may be able to ward off attacks for a while because your enemy would not know which type of unit to send at you?

On the other hand... I could be completely illogical and out of my mind. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Any smart alliance would build more anti-Cav than other weapon types so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

I said Welcome to Detroit City

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next