It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Terra form Mars?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 pm 
Major
Major

Hey guys I can't remember exactly when I watched this video but I just remembered it, it was about terra-forming mars.

Do you think such a monstrous project could be accomplished?

Why/Why not?

Also if someone wants to help me with my Geometry homework answer this question xD

Q: " How many sides does a polygon have if the sum of the measures of the interior angles is 3960 degrees? "

Also please include how you got the answer so I know how to get it next time ^.^
A: (Will update when it is posted)

Post subject: Re: Terra form Mars?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Don't really know much about the topic. But I've heard that it can be m ade possible by transforming the atmosphere into something similar to ours.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:32 pm 
Major
Major

dylsupreme1 wrote:
Don't really know much about the topic. But I've heard that it can be m ade possible by transforming the atmosphere into something similar to ours.

Yeah the video I watched suggested a huge amount of robots to melt/evaporate the solid ice on mars to make the atmosphere thicken to make it hotter, then when the water is heated up it releases oxygen or something xD

Another idea was to use global warming on mars (releasing Co2 much like we do with cars but with machines built to do it, thickening the atmos to evaporate water to release oxygen or something)

They also took tests and mars soil is just about as good as the average american back yard, so it is possible if the temperatures were right and the chemicals were right to grow a tree on mars :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:36 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I don't get the whole thing though. I get that out of all the planets, mars is most like earth. But why can't we terraform the moon instead? It's closer. I don't know.

3960 = (n–2)x180

22 = n–22

n = 24 sides

Advanced math FTW.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 pm 
Major
Major

dylsupreme1 wrote:
I don't get the whole thing though. I get that out of all the planets, mars is most like earth. But why can't we terraform the moon instead? It's closer. I don't know.

3960 = (n–2)x180

22 = n–22

n = 24 sides

Advanced math FTW.

Not high enough gravity to sustain a stable atmosphere.

and if I had known it would be that easier I could have done it myself xD

(I missed about two weeks of class plus a few weeks ago I was suspended and a few weeks before that I went on vacation)

lol thank dyls :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

No problem. :P

Quote:
Many people can accept the possibility of a permanently staffed base on Mars, or even the establishment of large settlements. However the prospect of drastically changing the planet's temperature and atmosphere towards more earthlike conditions, or "terraforming" seems to most people to be either sheer fantasy or at best a technological challenge for the far distant future.

But is this pessimistic point of view correct? Despite the fact that Mars today is a cold, dry, and probably lifeless planet, it has all the elements required to support life: water carbon and oxygen (as carbon dioxide), and nitrogen. The physical aspects of Mars, its gravity, rotation rate and axial tilt are close enough to those of Earth to be acceptable and it is not too far from the Sun to be made habitable.

In fact computational studies utilizing climate models suggest that it could be possible to make Mars habitable again with foreseeable technology. The essence of the situation is that while Mars' CO2 atmosphere has only about 1% the pressure of the Earth's at sea level, it is believed that there are reserves of CO2 frozen in the south polar cap and adsorbed within the soil sufficient to thicken the atmosphere to the point where its pressure would be about 30% that of Earth. The way to get this gas to emerge is to heat the planet, and in fact, the warming and cooling of Mars that occurs each Martian year as the planet cycles between its nearest and furthest positions from the Sun in its slightly elliptical orbit cause the atmospheric pressure on Mars to vary by plus or minus 25% compared to its average value on a seasonal basis.

We can not, of course, move Mars to a warmer orbit. However we do know another way to heat a planet, through an artificially induced greenhouse effect that traps the Sun's heat within the atmosphere. Such an atmospheric greenhouse could be created on Mars in at least three different ways. One way would be to set up factories on Mars to produce very powerful artificial greenhouse gasses such as halocarbons ("CFC's") and release them into the atmosphere. Another way would be to use orbital mirrors or other large scale power sources to warm selected areas of the planet, such as the south polar cap, to release large reservoirs of the native greenhouse gas, CO2, which may be trapped their in frozen or adsorbed form. Finally natural greenhouse gases more powerful than CO2 (but much less so than halocarbons) such as ammonia or methane could be imported to Mars in large quantities if asteroidal objects rich with such volatiles in frozen form should prove to exist in the outer solar system.

Each of these methods of planetary warming would be enhanced by large amounts of CO2 from polar cap and the soil that would be released as a result of the induced temperature rise. This CO2 would add massively to the greenhouse effect being created directly, speeding and multiplying the warming process.

The Mars atmosphere/regolith greenhouse effect system is thus one with a built-in positive feedback. The warmer it gets, the thicker the atmosphere becomes; and the thicker the atmosphere becomes the warmer it gets. A method of modeling this system and the results of calculations based upon it are given in the sections below.

I fear once NASA or a country announces that terraforming mars will be possible, it will be the space race all over again. Except with more countries than the US and Russia. 'Who can develop the first settlement on mars', 'who can benefit the most from doing this', 'How can they do this' etc.

Something about a big industrialized country making settlements or colonies on other planets doesn't seem right to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 pm 
Major
Major

Whats wrong with a space empire?

If Earth goes to shat we have somewhere to go :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

before i say anything terraform is one word not 2 :P

this would probably take hundreds of years though to get it ino something like earth, and it takes a few years i think to get to mars anyways, so its gonna be hard getting there

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:38 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

transfer CO2 from Earth to Mars

reduce Global Warming on Earth and increase on Mars...

one stone kills 2 birds

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Isn't there frozen water on mars? Scientists are pretty sure that a while ago mars was actually a fairly hospitable planet. But what happens in thousands of years when we wreck that planet too?

I REALLY recommend looking at this, and reading it all.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/

It guesses what will happen in the future based on current trends and events.

Quote:
2012 - Economic chaos grips the world | Marijuana is fully legalised in Copenhagen | The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II | The United States and South Korea dissolve the Combined Forces Command | Euro 2012 is held in Poland and Ukraine | London hosts the Olympic Games | Completion of the International Space Station | Mars Science Lab explores the Red Planet | Windows 8 is released | Quad-core smartphones and tablets | Nintendo launches the Wii U | Brain-computer interfaces allowing the paralysed to walk again | The world's first 1-Gigawatt offshore wind farm | Mass hysteria grips the world as the Mayan calendar reaches the end of its current cycle

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next