It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I think I'm safe, to say that less than 0.01% of the population over here knows what's going on, and whatever the hell the government is doing.

Even if people want to do something about it, they can't. Laws are nothing here, you can carve it on stone and they will not be followed. Nor will they be enforced.

Strange priorities our government has. I think we're still a country that's being developed, yet apparently we're going out and continuing to claim territory...? I can look across the street, and there's people living in conditions they shouldn't be. No electricity, no running water, no heat source. And this is the Capital. I can't begin to imagine the whole country, especially the more remote and poor provinces.

And Miki - if you strongly believe Taiwan is a seperate country, alright then, I won't be arguing over that. I have a Taiwanese friend who's parents are from Yunnan, a part of Mainland. China claims that Taiwan is part of them, yet they're so seperate not many people would have trouble believing its a seperate country. They have their own Passport (like HK and Macau though), and people holding Chinese passports need to apply for a special visa (which is rather hard to get) in order to get into Taiwan.

But wait, people holding Chinese passports can get into North Korea more easily than Taiwan? Wait, what?

With all these threads, I sure hope BD won't be blocked :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

If BD's blocked I'll go all V on the government's collectives arses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:52 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

China is doing the best job in de-literalize their ppl. Blocking every websites possible. I understand blocking some websites, but youtube? Really?

I wonder when BBC and CNN got blocked...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

aister wrote:
China is doing the best job in de-literalize their ppl. Blocking every websites possible. I understand blocking some websites, but youtube? Really?

I wonder when BBC and CNN got blocked...

I was blocked for a few minutes. Not fun.

A few years ago, I can't remember the exact date anymore, but a lot of things got blocked. Things like BBC and CNN were indeed blocked, because one of the CNN girls said something about China on their news show thing. Phoenix - I don't know if anyone knows this channel, but it's HongKong's - was also blocked. Everywhere out on the streets, on the windows of cars, you could see papers that basically said negative things towards CNN and the like. I'm not sure what happened to that situation, I was too young to care much except stare at the passing cars with the exact same paper and message taped to them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

If they blocked CNN and BBC they did their people a damn favor. These two are one of the most bigoted channels on air today. BBC for example suffers from the colonial syndrome, always broadcasting and writing articles that highlight India's problems and challenges while heavily downplaying India's strengths and achievements. Same with the New York Times.

These Channels not only take sides, but also politically take sides against countries that the US does not like much. Youtube was blocked in China because they had a video that trashed the country.

BTW if you guys don't know, you should check the google transparency report. Infact internet censorship requests from the US is one of the highest in number in the world. Brazil has a high number. Every country has some request to google to block websites to avoid defamation etc., Which means its not just China that censors stuff. Its just general world view because channels like CNN and BBC involve in propaganda against specific nations by taking sides.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

it's common thing to put negative news on the top. Ppl will notice a news with a title "MFREAK GOT BANNED FOR OP FARMING" faster than "AISTER GOT THE COMMUNITY OF THE MONTH AWARD".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:24 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I lol'd. Yet that would depend on how much people care about Mfreak and Aister.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:27 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

and depends on me getting the reward is a negative or positive thing...

I think me getting the reward is a very negative news, enough that it would be on the headline of CNN, BBC and all other newspapers in the world...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

aister wrote:
it's common thing to put negative news on the top. Ppl will notice a news with a title "MFREAK GOT BANNED FOR OP FARMING" faster than "AISTER GOT THE COMMUNITY OF THE MONTH AWARD".

Its not because of ratings and no its not common to put negative things on top. Its because they take a political stand based on whatever values. There are tons of countries to project negative views about, but picking on a select few is troubling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:06 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

nope, it's very common here even in Vietnam or Finland. U put shocking or negative news on the top, becuz it will make everyone wanting to read it. Scandals, wars, riots, natural disasters,... u will see these on the headline of the news everywhere u go, instead of new inventions, economic growth, rewards,...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next