It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: My own book IV to the inheritance cycle: Breoal(Family)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:09 pm 
Private
Private

rederoin wrote:
Jasper Alexander wrote:
Apollo, I think your a decent writer, but I think it would be better if you would write your own story.

Sad as it is, none of us can compare to the writing of the original writer. Your degrading yourself by attempting to write this ;)

I think you got potential as regular writer, but this isn't the way to start out.

Also, note I might be a bit harsh, but I used to own a community with nearly 2000 (wannabe) writers (over 2k members, most were writers even though it was meant for all kinds of creativity) and I got kinda critical because of it XD

You could see it as fanfiction ;)

That's what it is.

EDIT:

CHAPTER THREE: FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS

"Vakna."
Eragon awoke from his over day long slumber. He felt refreshed from his sleep. His sleep went untroubled as Arya had blocked him from dreaming. His sleep had cleared his mind for the moment. He was at peace. At the same moment he wondered why his wards allowed Arya to cast magic on him. I modified my wards the last time I fought Murtagh allowing her to cast spells on me, he realized. He then noticed that Blohdgarm was hovering over him.

"Shadeslayer, Nasuada has requested to speak with you immediately. She is currently talking to Islanzadi through a scrying mirror. They say it is concerning Oromis and Glaedr." The blue haired elf then left the tent.

Eragon got up, washed his face, and shaved. He was amazed at how much stubble had grown. Still sore over Oromis, he donned a jet black tunic and left for the commander's tent. As he was walking he greeted Saphira good morning.

Morning Saphira.

Little one, how are you?

Better
. To his surprise, his conversation with Arya had eased his pain. And how are you?

I miss Glaedr. The pain he must be feeling right now must be much worse than what we feel

Aye, Nasuada has requested a meeting with us. Eragon then continued walking when all of a sudden he felt the earth shake, and lo and behold, there was a large, blue, sapphire dragon appear in front of him.

Eragon jumped out of shock. You really don't need to fly me there, her tent isn't that far.

Yes I did. You two legs take far too long to navigate through camp. I would have been waiting until sunset at Nasuada's tent. This is much quicker. She snorted, plumes of fire coming from her snout.

Eragon laughed for the first time in awhile, got on Saphira, and together they went to Nasuada.

When they arrived, Eragon noticed that Arya was also in the tent, and his stomach got butterflies as always. Saphira then reminded him to control himself infront of her.

Eragon, don't do anything stupid. Or maybe you should to even out your cheeks.

Don't worry Saphira, I won't.

Eragon then entered the tent and noticed Queen Islanzadi in the mirror. Eragon was curious as to why the three women, especially Arya and Nasuada, were acting so tense around each other. He did not know about the argument that had occured yesterday over him.

"My lady," Eragon said to Nasuada, he then proceeded to the mirror and bowed, "Your highness."

"Eragon, it is good to see you look well rested, and are finally able to function. As a rider you cannot let these deaths overcome you," she said emotionlessly.

"I understand your highness, now what is it that concerns my former masters that you must speak with Arya and myself about immediately." He was irritated at the fact that Islanzadi seemed to show no sympathy for his loses.

"Eragon, while we know that it would leave the Varden in a bind, it would be dishonorable for you to miss your master's funeral. We would appreciate it if you, Arya, and Saphira could come here immediately."

"Your highness," Nasuada butted in, clearly irate, "I cannot allow that. What if Murtagh and Thorn attack us?!"

"Nasuada, Islanzadi is right, I must pay respects to them. On top of that I was intending to ask you if I could visit their graves soon anyways. Besides, Thorn suffered a serious injury. Glaedr ripped off the last three feet of his tail. It be awhile before they can attack anyone." Now he addressed Islanzadi "Won't Oromis' body be rotten before Saphira and I get there? It has been 4 days since he died, and it will take us at least one or two days to get to Gil'ead if we have two people on Saphira's back."

"We have spellcasters whom are currently preserving his and Glaedr's bodies. The funeral will take place as soon as you arrive."

"What about the other elves guarding me? They too mourn him." Eragon remembered how the elves had cried as one the moment he and Arya had announced Oromis' death to them.

"If Saphira can bear it, then perhaps you can take one other elf with you. Otherwise all of them may travel on foot and come a few days late. They will miss the funeral, but they will still have time to pay respects." Islanzadi looked at Eragon sternly, "Eragon, how do you know the extent of Thorn's wounds in such detail?"

"Later your majesty, it is not safe to discuss it over a scrying mirror." He did not trust talking about eldurnari over a scrying mirror.

"We will speak on the matter when you get here. May the stars watch over you." She then disappeared from the mirror.

Arya and Eragon looked at Nasuada,she was clearly furious at Islanzadi's request. "I do not like this one bit. Arya, I do not have any power over you. Eragon, I do not agree with this decision. If Thorn's injury was as serious as you say how long do you think it will be until they plausibly attack?"

It was Arya who answered. She had glimpsed portions of the battle when Eragon blacked out in the siege of Feinster. "In theory, they could attack when they wanted, however, Thorn would be defeated soundly. It will take time for him to adjust to a shorter tail. On top of that Glaedr was winning the fight before Galbatorix intervened. I would say two weeks."

Nasuada sighed, clearly still flustered at the idea her greatest weapon would be leaving her again. "Two weeks should be fine. I sent Roran out on more raids to cut off the empire's supply lines. We can delay our march to Belatona by two weeks by doing similar raids on our march. After that we cannot delay. While I disagree with this decision, we cannot anger an ally as powerful as the elves. When will you leave Eragon?"

"As soon as we finish packing."

"Then go, and fly hard and fast. In two weeks we will need you two at Belatona, Shadeslayers. Dismissed"

When Eragon and Arya were quite a distance from Nasuada's tent, Eragon noticed she was still tense about something. He surmised it was something that had happened when he was sleeping. He spoke to Arya in the ancient language.

"Wait, Arya, what happened yesterday when I was sleeping?" He expected Arya to refuse so he then added, "And don't say nothing, as I know your lying."

Arya looked at Eragon for a moment, amused by the fact he had persued the question with as much emphasis as he had. He thought Arya tried to say something but it would not come out since they were speaking in the ancient language. Finally, Arya said, "Nasuada and I got into an argument yesterday." Eragon's eyes widened.

"About what?" Eragon inquired further.

Arya was about to say, I don't want to talk about it, but the ancient language blocked her again. She was trying to figure out a half lie she could say but she could not think of one, and she saw that Eragon was not going to leave despite the fact she had not said anything for a while. "It was about you." Eragon looked on with even more curiosity now.

"Me? How could I cause two of the most powerful elves and the leader of the Varden to argue?" Eragon asked.

Arya again paused for a moment choosing her words, "Nasuada wanted to wake you up because she said she had orders. With Blodhgarm guarding you, only myself or one of your body guards could have woken you. I refused her and she was upset."

"Why did you refuse her?" Eragon inquired.

"Because, you were not exactly in the state of mind to start going about the business of things the night I enchanted you to sleep. You needed some time to yourself" Arya replied.

Eragon then looked into her isolated eyes. Her face must have betrayed that she was hiding something. He then said to her, "Is that everything?"

Arya was looking around, curious as to why Saphira was not inhibiting Eragon. She then assumed that Saphira had given her consent for the interrogation. Arya opened her mouth to say that was everything but the ancient language blocked her. Arya sighed and once again tried to say she did not want to talk about it, but again the ancient language blocked her. She was about to tell a half lie when she decided to tell the truth instead. She clenched her right hand into a fist, making her knuckles grow white as her eyes started to water a little at the more personal part of the argument. "When I was defending you, Nasuada questioned how much I lost in this war."

Eragon then put a hand on her shoulder. She consented to the contact non verbally and he once again looked into her now glossy eyes. He was one of the few people who knew of her loss of Faolin when she was ambushed and lost Saphira's egg. He twisted a hand over his chest in a sign of respect. "I cry your pardon Arya Svit Kona. I should not have persued the subject so."

Arya then for some reason had a wry smile. She looked at Eragon, "Don't be sorry, you were only trying to figure what was troubling me and I said why." Arya then thought to herself why she was being so open with Eragon.

Eragon then removed the hand from Arya's shoulder, "Thank you, I need to pack now. Saphira and I will be near your tent when we are finished packing. And thank you for letting me rest and clear my mind."

Eragon then approached his tent to pack as did Arya.

Eragon spoke with Blohdgarm about what he wished to do. Blohdgarm declined flying on Saphira, explaining, "It would be unfair for myself to reach the funeral while my companions did not. Nay, I shall run with them. We should reach Gil'ead in four days." Eragon then left to his tent.

He searched for his finest tunics and packed them. If I am to live among the elves for a while, it would be best to be dressed nice. He added his armour, and went to the armoury to pick out a shield he liked. Satisfied, he packed some bread, fruits, and cheese to last him and Arya for two days. Lastly, he put Brisngr on his hip, attached to the belt of Beloth the Wise, and Aren on his right ring finger. It still amazed him at how much energy was in Aren. He then remembered what Oromis had said about Naegling.

Saphira, what do you think became of Oromis' sword when he lost it? He asked as he modified her saddle to strap two people in it instead of one.

I do not know. Perhaps we should ask Glaedr.

I do not want to disturb him yet
. Then they both felt a mourning dragon's conscious enter their heads.

Eragon, Naegling fell into a forest outside Gil'ead
. He sent Eragon an image of the forest and it's location.

But ebrithil, wouldn't the elves have been able to locate it by now if it was in the open like that?

Perhaps, but Oromis enchanted Naegling so that if he died the only person who could locate it would be you. He wanted you to have the energy if he were to die Eragon. Be wary, while Galbatorix may or may not know the secrets of taking energy from your surroundings, he considered a rider's sword a great treasure. He surely would be looking for it.
Sensing the sorrow of mentioning the partner of his heart after such a short time, Glaedr left Eragon's mind and went back to his mourning.

Eragon, troubled by the last thing Glaedr said to him, mounted Saphira and said "Let us be off, Arya is probably waiting by now."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 pm 
Major
Major

Apollo, its going to make me an hour to read all this. XD

But anyway, I'll give you more feedback when I have time.

Zhester: *You're :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:19 pm 
Private
Private

Numair Mujeeb wrote:
Apollo, its going to make me an hour to read all this. XD

But anyway, I'll give you more feedback when I have time.

OK that you for posting at least...I have the next 6 chapters done, but i don't wanna post them of no1 is going to read this...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 pm 
Major
Major

Great so far, I'm waitin' for the next chapter apollo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm 
Private
Private

CHAPTER 4: Arya's heart

Arya sat on her cot, she had finished packing. While she wore her usual black leather and leggings, she had packed her elven dresses. She wanted to look her best at the funeral. She did not pack much. She brought her sword, her bow, and her pack of elven garments. She opted not to bring any food. I can scavenge the land for plants, and Eragon probably has brought enough food for the two of us.

Arya did not idle as she sat on the cot. She was thinking about a matter which had been causing her heart more and more confusion each day. It was concerning Eragon and love.

Eragon... Her thoughts rested on the name. She was confused. Why is it that I can be so open around him? Why is it that I cannot maintain my demeanor near him? Why is that he is the only person I openly show displeasure with? Why have I twice underestimated his intelligence? Why did I hug him twice in four days. Why is it that I go out of my way to do acts of kindness for him? Why was it that I permitted him to hold my hand at the camp fire, and again a few days ago? Why did I almost go out of my way when he fought Murtagh to voice the pain I would be in if I had lost him that day?

There was only one other person that had made her think like this. Faolin...But I loved him...do I love Eragon? The confusion in her heart had almost sweltered to the breaking point. Arya had rejected Eragon in Ellesmera, but there was one thing she had left out when she had rejected him. I was unsure of my feelings then, and I am even more unsure of them now. Losing Faolin had made Arya forget how love felt, and she was not sure if this was what she felt for Eragon. The Eragon that confessed his love for her at the Agaeti Blohdren was immature, more child than rider. But this Eragon, had dealt with the same hardships she had, and beared burdens of weight greater than hers. This Eragon, was understanding, was wiser, and she considered more her equal.

She remembered the night at the campfire with Eragon. It had been the first time she had ever opened up about how she had felt about Faolin, even if she had not openly admitted to Eragon her love for Faolin, albeit she had inferred it very much. She wondered of all the people she could have chosen to open herself up to, why had she chosen Eragon. There was something about him. Something that made her feel comforted around him. It was a comfort that had only arrived with the Eragon she met at the Burning Plains. It was the protection of that comfort that partially drove her to run into the empire to find Eragon.

She then remembered their embrace when Oromis had died. How she was unsure of how to react at the earth shattering statement Eragon had made.
_________________________flashback____________________________________

"Oromis and Galbatorix are dead. Galbatorix killed them," Eragon icily stated to her within the keep of Feinster.

"Ahhh," Was all Arya could muster from her mouth. The implications of what he had said were enormous for her. She lurched for a moment like she had been struck by something. She tried to hold back her tears at Eragon's announcement. She did her utmost to remain devoid of all emotion, but she could not. Oromis and Glaedr were two people she respected deeply, and Oromis had been a father to her when she had none. How could she not resist crying at that? How could she hold back her tears.

She couldn't.

She just murmurred out to Eragon his name, and the tears began to fall out of her eyes. She was unsure of what to do. She felt like another person close to her had fallen victim to the war. She felt alone in the world now. The last memory of Faolin was gone. Her tears flowed like a river. She felt weary still from her fight with Varaug and needed someone to lean on. She felt weak. She then found herself falling into the arms of Eragon, into an embrace. Her head was upon his chest as his brow touched her forehead. The two of them doing the utmost to comfort each other. His arms felt comforting and stabilizing to her, something she had not felt since she was in the arms of Faolin.

"We're going to be fine Arya..." Eragon whispered to her, quiet enough so none could hear but her.

"How can you be so sure? They were our pride and glory Eragon...the elves' pride no longer exists..." She answered back, her voice still low, and tears still pouring down her face.

"I am not sure..." Eragon answered, his voice chocked up. "But I have to believe it, just as you should. We can't let him win Arya," He finshed, taking a deep breath, and swallowing heavily, fighting back tears. They were then silent for the remainder of their embrace, as Arya did her best to regain her composure.

Arya's thoughts were interrupted when she felt Saphira entering her mind.

Emerald eyes, Eragon and I shall be there shortly, be ready to leave. Eragon has modified the saddle so that two people can strap in

Thank you Saphira, I shall leave my tent shortly.

Arya picked up her pack and left the tent, her mind and heart confused. She saw a proud Sapphire dragon land near her tent. Arya hopped on behind Eragon, and strapped in.

"Before we leave Arya, I would like to apologize for what I said two nights ago. It was stupid of me, I should be more mindful of what I say." He said to her firmly before they left.

"Thank you. I too apologize. I should never have struck you." She answered.

"Apology accepted. You slap hard if you didn't know." He joked.

Arya noticed that while it had been two days since their conversation his right cheek was still larger than his left. It was also slightly bruised.

Arya's had an embarrassed look on her face. "Let me fix that." She put her hand on his right cheek and said "Waise heill." Eragon's cheek returned to its normal size.

"Thank you, now we should get going." He answered.

Saphira roared, and rose into the clouds above.

Why did I just do that?! Arya thought to herself. It was reminiscent of when she had instinctively healed Eragon's hand when they had fought the soldiers returning from the empire. . Saphira, Eragon, and Arya flew in silence. Arya and spent the time resuming the contemplation of her thoughts of Eragon. She was still confused. She then remembered a memory from Tialdari Hall of herself and Faolin.
________________________Flashback___________________________________

Arya was looking at one of the trees in Ellesmera. She was giddy with happiness and joy. Her hair was jumping with life and she had a glowing smile on her face. She then yelled into the tree,"You can get down! I know your up there! Stop hiding!" She said playfully.

She had no reply. She then used her elven strength and charged the tree once, making it shake. She heard the person she was looking for yelp and she saw a falling elf land on the soft grass with a thud.

"I found you!" She said cheerfully. Faolin groaned as he got up.

"You didn't need to be so harsh to the tree or myself you know." The silver elf gestered at his head. Arya saw a small bruise on the top. She put her hand on it.

"Let me fix that. Waise heill." The bump healed itself. She giggled as Faolin held her.

"Thanks." The two of them shared a kiss then.
__________________End Flashback________________________________________

Arya's thoughts were then interrupted by Saphira. She realized her confusion must have been overpowering all of her thoughts.

Saphira?

Arya what is troubling you? Besides Oromis and Glaedr's deaths of course. I sense confusion in your conscious. This conversation is closed from Eragon.

Arya did not want to completely reveal everything she had thought, so she answered very vaguely.

My mind is....confused.....it does not know how to feel about a certain matter....

Arya, that is hardly an answer, she snorted.

I would rather not reveal that which I am not sure of myself.

Suit yourself then, just don't wallow in confusion the whole ride.

The flight continued in silence, with Arya still pondering the question: Why?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm 
Major
Major

I'm glued to the book apollo, bring on the next chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm 
Private
Private

CHAPTER 5: SMALL TALK

Eragon, Saphira, and Arya had been in the air for an hour. No one had said a word to the other since the flght had began. There was a gentle breeze blowing against the trio. To Eragon was a cooling breeze. It was not enough to hamper their flight, but if it became any stronger than they would need to halt their trip for a time. With good weather they could make good ground in three hours, but if the wind picked up they could only reach Helgrind in the same amount of time. The breeze blew in Eragon's and Arya's raven hair. Her dark black hair was blowing in the wind.

Eragon felt that there was some sort of confusion inside of Arya. Out of care for Arya, he had asked Saphira to ask her what was wrong, but to not tell him what was troubling her, and to keep it blocked off from him. He did not want to do it directly out of worry that she would see it as some kind of different way of pursuing her. Further, the last few times he had spoken with her he had said some things that he felt had hurt her. The first time his ignorance caused him to get slapped, and then he did not know about how Nasuada had insulted her. For those reasons Eragon remained silent.

On the other hand, he also did not understand why Arya had been more open with him the last few days. He had not expected her to open up to him at the campfire when he was returning from the empire. He did not expect to hug her after Oromis and Glaedr died. He did not understand many things. He thought that this was something in the direction which he had always wanted, but at the same time he did not know why Arya was acting that way. Twice she had hurt him, but it was his own doing. He did not want to risk getting hurt a third time. There was something else which he was wondering. In the empire, when I was returning from Helgrind, Arya said much like her mother that I needed to remember my duties as a rider, and how I was the tip of the spear. But then, why was it that yesterday Arya defended my resting? It completely goes against what her mother and her were constantly saying to me.

He noticed an eagle flying nonchalantly in front of Saphira. If it was not for the mighty sapphire queen of the sky it would have had every right to fly. However, there indeed was a dragon in the sky so it did not. Saphira snorted and a plume of fire shot out from her snout, nearly hitting the eagle. The bird of prey shrieked and immediately descended.

Serves that pesky pigeon right. Eragon heard Saphira snort. He then heard Saphira's calming voice in his mind again. Little one, perhaps you should speak with Arya directly.

But Saphira, what if I make a mistake? I do not want to risk losing her friendship a third time. Further I feel every time I speak with her I hurt her from some sort of ignorance.

You begin to think wisely and prudently like a dragon Eragon. Little one, look at it from another perspective. Maybe you are not hurting her, but it is just that you are starting to help her.

Help her? How is making her cry and angry helping her?
Saphira did not know about the conversation he and Arya had at the campfire, but she did know about their talk about Oromis and after the meeting with Nasuada and Islanzadi.

Think Eragon. Do you think she would openly cry infront of us if she did not feel comfortable around us? Eragon I think that if you ask her about what is confusing you she will give you an answer. And do not worry. I will let you know if I think you are going to far.

Thank you Saphira.

Eragon then took a deep breath, and he thought carefully about the next thought he would make. With the blowing wind it would be easier to talk to Arya through the mind. He relayed to Saphira what he was going to say, when she agreed, he touched Arya's complicated mind.

Eragon? What is it? Arya's voice and mind seemed on edge, confused about something.

Arya, why was it that you chose not to wake me yesterday? When we were returning from the empire, and up until yesterday, all you reminded me of was how I could not forget my duty as a rider. The way you acted yesterday in my defense contradicts that belief.

Are you not happy that I defended you?
Arya thought back.

Yes, I am happy that you defended me, but it is confusing to me why you did it. I just want to know why. Eragon replied to her.

He thought Arya was not going to give an answer. She was silent for a time, much like when she had remained silent for a time at the campfire. When he was about to give up, she finally gave an answer. Eragon, not to be blunt, but no one has shown me kindness the way you did at the campfire. At least not in the last year. I needed to find a way to show you I was thankful.

I thank you, but you showed me your thankfulness that night.

How one acts reveals more than what one says Eragon. Using a flower rather than saying I am sorry or some other words was more revealing no? Arya countered.

Right.

Eragon, it was my way of saying thank you for comforting me that day Eragon. And nothing more. Eragon, you have lost as much as I have, and perhaps more in this war. What you showed me that night at the campfire was that even people like me and you need time to reflect. Does that answer you Eragon? Eragon was satisfied with that answer.

Aye, that answered my question.
Eragon felt that one of the questions in his mind had been answered. On top of that he was pleased that he had been able to have a conversation with Arya that did not end with either one of them being upset. He then let the silence reassert itself. He noticed that the wind blowing against them was starting to grow stronger.

Suddenly, Eragon felt Arya touch his mind. She had answered his question, so he felt it fitting to answer hers if she had one. She quickly touched Saphira's mind to remind her to make sure he didn't say anything out of mind. He then let Arya into his mind.

Yes Arya?

Eragon, why me?
Eragon was thrown off by the question. He then privately spoke to Saphira.

I cannot help you with this answer little one. I trust you to not make a mistake. You know how you feel about this situation. Saphira then left the conversation.

Eragon collected his thoughts. He then made sure she was asking what she was asking. What did you mean by that?

Eragon, why did you choose to pursue me of all people?
Eragon was shocked by the bluntness of her interrogation. He was not sure how to answer.

Arya, I already told you that I value more friendship, and nothing else. He fired defensively.

That was not what I was asking Eragon. I did not speak in riddles when I gave you an answer, so it is fitting you give me one. She thought more assertively. Eragon was not sure why Arya was asking a question of such magnitude. It was a question that if Eragon answered wrongly would shatter their friendship. He decided that he would tell Arya the truth.

Arya, this is going to be a lengthy answer.

We are in for a long trip.

Are you sure you want it? Can you promise me you will not be upset with me? Arya I do not want this answer to ruin our friendship.
He felt Arya sigh over their connection. She then said in the ancient language out loud, "I promise."

Eragon then thought to Arya, First and foremost Arya, the way I am now, as a rider, has made me immortal. I could not simply marry any human female the way I am now. The idea of taking up a new mate every few decades disgusts me. Further, the Agaeti Blodhren has made me look like an elf. I look like and at times act more elf than I do human.

So then why not some other elf Eragon?
Arya inquired. Eragon still felt uneasy.

Arya, you are the only person I felt understands the situation I am in.

How so?

You, like me, have shown a reluctance to kill. You said so at the campfire. You, like me, have been put in a situation of isolation from your people. Arya, you were exiled from the elves, and I have been isolated from the humans.
He then paused for a moment.

Go on. Arya thought.

Further, I am a rider, and you are a person of as much importance as a rider. Both of us, are very important to the fall of Galbatorix. Also, both of us have lost so much because of this war Arya. I do not think I need to reassert how much either of us has lost in this war, especially to you. Arya, no person is going to be in the exact situation as I am in. And that is a painful idea, to have no one to relate to. Not even my cousin can relate to me on the level you could, and he is my family. You are the closest thing I have to that. It was better for me to pursue a hopeless cause, and reach for the stars, then to settle for something that would be empty to me. Does that answer your question?

Yes, it does. Thank you Eragon. Arya answered as she started to leave Eragon's mind. She felt that her mind was much clearer after he talk with Eragon, but she still felt confused deep down inside. His answer had brought closure to somethings but opened up new thoughts in other ways. She had not asked Eragon that question because she was genuinely curious about why he pursued her. She hoped that his answer would give her some insight into her confusion.

In a way, it had. She realized that a lot of the reasons he had pursued her were true. They were also some of the reasons why she felt she could open up to Eragon the way she had. She paused for a moment when she realized she was tense from her conversation with Eragon.

"Arya, your holding a little tight." Eragon grunted. She loosened her grip.

"Sorry," She was slightly embarrased.

She then did her best to relax. Saphira was a very competent flier and so long as there was no jerkiness Arya felt relaxed from the freedom she felt in flight. She closed her eyes and took long, deep breaths. As she did her best to remember her most fond memory in Tialdari Hall.

She was with Faolin, and the two of them were in the courtyard of Tialdari Hall. They were walking side by side, talking and laughing. She was having the time of her life. They were happy to be in the other's presence. Suddenly, Faolin said that he needed to leave because Oromis was seizing. Arya took his hand.

"Please, stay a little longer." She begged.

"I can't. I would love to, but I cannot Arya." He took her other hand.

The two of them then stared into each other's longing eyes. They started to lean into each other, and Arya started to feel the electricity of Faolin's lips when...

She lost her concentration and went to a diifferent memory. They were ferrying Saphira's egg. She saw three arrows protruding from Faolin's chest.

She snapped out of her mediation. Upset that for some reason every time she tried to meditate using that memory it would go back to that scene. She then took a deep breath, and went back to meditating. This time it was a different memory much to her surprise.

She was speaking with Eragon at the campfire, tears were in her eyes as she spoke to him about Faolin. He then presented her with a blue lily, which was one of the prettiest flowers she had seen. She paused for a moment to inspect the flower. She felt at peace for a moment.

Arya then broke out of her meditation again. She then thought for a moment, Why that memory of all the ones I could have thought of?

Her confusion then grew once more to the same level it was before her conversation with Eragon. She did not understand why Eragon saw slowly starting to replace all of the functions Faolin had done. The arm which comforted her, the voice which cleared her mind, everything. She did not understand.

Perhaps Eragon's cause is not so hopeless. She was still not sure if she did love him. Though she still knew she cared for him, especially moreso after what Eragon had said to her she realized was true for herself. Her thoughts wandered around more as She, Eragon, and Saphira flew onwards towards Gil'ead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 pm 
Major
Major

I want to know what happens next. Bring me more, apollo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:54 pm 
Private
Private

CHAPTER 6: DIAMOND TOMB

Eragon sighed. They had encountered a headwind on their way to Gil'ead. He could feel Saphira's wings throbbing as they had flown for the last 4 hours, and she had not completely recovered from her previous flights from Farthen Dur and Ellesmera. Eragon noticed that they were near Helgrind, noticing the snowy lair of the now dead Ra'zac from above. Now would be a good time to visit Brom's tomb. Saphira could use a break. Besides, it will give time for this head wind to go away.

Saphira had been listening to Eragon's thoughts. Aye, it would be a good time to stop now little one. I need to hunt. Go and visit you father's grave. She started lowering her altitude and scanning for a place to land.

Eragon explained to Arya, Arya, we are going to take a break for awhile. Saphira wants to hunt, and it will give us time for the wind to die down.

Fair enough. I sense you are leaving something out though Eragon.

I wish to visit my father's grave.

Eragon then sent a mental image to Saphira. That cave. That is where Brom is. Saphira then landed at the foot of the cave, dropped Eragon and Arya off, and left to hunt.

Eragon and Arya entered the cave. To Eragon's relief, no one had attempted to damage the largest diamond in Alagaesia. The tomb was just the way he left it.

Father, he thought, as he re-read what he had written on his tomb. I have returned, as I promised I would. I swear to you as your son I will slay the dark king whom you devoted your life to kill. I wish I had spent more time with you as father and son instead of dragon rider and story teller. If only I had not been so naive in my revenge. I need your wisdom more than ever before. I hope you can forgive me for my naivete which resulted in your death. I should never have attempted to kill the Ra'zac being as weak as I was then.

Eragon's eyes watered up when he felt someone put their hand on his shoulder to comfort him. It was Arya.

"My thanks." Eragon said.

"You miss him."

"Yes, I wish we had more time together as father and son."

"Much as I did with my father. He died when I was still a child. My mother was never the same after that. Eragon, you should not feel guilty for what happened to Brom. He died doing the one thing he wanted to do most as a father, protect you. If he saw the person you have become I think he would have been proud."

A tear fell from Eragon's eye. No words could describe the thanks he could give her for the comfort he had just been given.

"The tomb you have blessed your father with is beautiful. However, I recommend you fix that." Pointing at the tomb. The tomb said he was like a father, but he really was his father.

"You're right. Eragon used magic to modify Brom's tomb to say: Here lies Brom, Founder and First Leader of the Varden, Bane of the Forsworn, a Dragon Rider, and most of all, my father. As Eragon did this, he also took the liberty to erect wards on the tomb. Since the tomb was a jewel, he imbued it with half of what was in Beloth the Wise's belt, and a large portion of his own energy. He then put a spell which would have the jewel absorb the energy of any who tried to damage the tomb. He added another spell which would have the diamond take an amount of energy from its surroundings everyday to make sure the diamond had energy to maintain the wards.

"Finished," Eragon said to Arya.

Arya then approached the tomb to say a few words which were inaudible to Eragon.

As she did this, Eragon's thoughts went back to something Brom told him in Saphira's memory. I warn you Eragon, beware of whom you fall in love with, for fate seems to have a morbid interest in our family. Eragon remembered how Brom never saw Selena again before she died once he left Morzan's castle. The woman he thought he loved was standing in front of his father's tomb.

It's all irrelevant, she rejected me. He thought. But then, she has been acting strange around me.

Eragon, be mindful of your thoughts, they may drive you to do something you wish not to do.Saphira cautioned to Eragon. She sent him an image of a deer carcass to signify she was almost done eating and would be there shortly.

Eragon and Arya left the tomb and were outside the cave. There was a glimmering object that caught Arya's eye.

"Look."

A small, shriveled golden lily, with a sapphire center, had sprouted. It was still very small having just sprouted. It would not survive much longer in this desolate place.

"So it grew seeds, and is a perfect copy," Eragon said.

Arya carefully removed the flower and put it in her pack, placing spells which would ensure its survival until she could replant it somewhere else.Arya then looked at Eragon as the two of them sat down to wait for Saphira.

"Eragon, you have never told me about your life before we met." She stated. Eragon was shocked by the question. Arya had never asked about his life story before. It caught him off guard.

"There is not much to say, I was just a boring farm boy who hunted in The Spine every now and then." Eragon answered. Arya pressed onwards.

"Your generalizing, I could have just told you I was a typical elven princess rather than go into detail about my exile and such," Arya said. Eragon was curious why Arya was questioning him so.

"Why do you want to know?" Eragon asked curiously.

"It's a long flight, and we already talked about my life often." Arya replied. Eragon was intrigued by Arya's openness. He then decided to stop asking questions and concede to her curiosity though he felt Arya was only giving him a half hearted answer.

Eragon then went into a story of how he had been raised by Garrow. And how Garrow was a man who taught by example. He made Eragon and Roran work for what they wanted just as he needed to work to live, and how he taught them of the concepts of human morality. He then recounted how Brom had shown him the basics of swordwork and magic on the way to Helgrind. He then paused for a moment when he realized his story had reached the part of Brom's death. He stopped talking.

"Why did you stop speaking Eragon?" Arya inquired.

"Because, he died was the next thing I was about to say." Eragon answered. He remembered the words of comfort Arya had given him earlier. She then decided to change the subject.

"How did you stumble across Saphira's egg?"

"When I was hunting in The Spine I found it. At first I thought it was a jewel. I tried to trade it to the village butcher for meat. Then I went to a merchant to find out how much it was worth. Showing Sloan the egg was---" Eragon heared a loud roar over his mental connection with Saphira.
LITTLE ONE! YOU TRIED TO SELL ME?!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Eragon knew Saphira was joking with him but was frightened. He saw Saphira flying towards him with a purpose. Saphira landed and Eragon was too slow, he yelped as Saphira put her foot on top of him and proceeded to lick him from head to toe.

Arya just stood there with a twinge of amusement on her face.

After a few moments Saphira let Eragon get up and mount her. Arya got on behind Eragon. The headwind had died down.

We should get going, if we are to get to Gil'ead in tomorrow then we should make haste.

Agreed. Sorry Saphira.

Apology accepted. However, if you attempt to do that with any of my future offspring I will offer your first child to the Ra'zac if there are any left.

Saphira! You wouldn't!

The three burst out laughing when all of a sudden Eragon's face turned to fear when he heard the conscious of his mortal cousin enter his mind.
Help me shadeslayer! Help me brightscales!

Eragon did not know what to do. He could not return to the Varden, he felt helpless. He told Arya and Saphira what he had heard, and asked for advice.

Arya answered, "We should make haste then, the sooner we reach Gil'ead the sooner we can find out what happened and if it requires our immediate attention."

Saphira took off and flew harder than she had before for Eragon's sake.

Please be safe Roran. Were Eragon's thoughts as they continued their flight to Gil'ead.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:20 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Apollo,

You are a great writing but now im glued too even though it took me an hour or soo to read all that i wanna know more keep posting :)

Lowest finishing alliance rank:23
Relics:3
Highest power:396

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next