It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex marriage
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

msomeoneelsez wrote:
Actually, if it is worth it to you to use that $1,240 a year on charities of your choosing, then yes, you would spend it there.

That is the world of marginal analysis for you :D

Just gotta look at your utils.

Agreed, but you would be spending that money there regardless of if you went to see movies or not.

The point is, you can't turn to someone and say, "stop going to movies, you could be spending that money on charity instead!" because that isn't going to give them the money to spend on charities. What you have to say is, "Give money to charities." The money from the movies is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

apollo wrote:
What he is saying is that the $250 million could be used on other services. i.e:education.

I know what he is saying, but it's just dead wrong.

That money can NOT be used for education.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:42 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

yup, u would spend it on something else, like education :)

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm 
Private
Private

Daganev wrote:
apollo wrote:
What he is saying is that the $250 million could be used on other services. i.e:education.

umm..Yes it can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:46 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

simmen wrote:

Odds are that if that money was not spent on the "protect marriage" fund, then right now that money would be spent on the "stop obamacare" fund. But certainly that money would be spent on some other political activist activity. Not education, not feeding the poor, not Iraq, not the new UN building fund, not cancer research or anything else. Just political activism. (Or maybe it would be going to the new Church building fund)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 pm 
Private
Private

Daganev wrote:
simmen wrote:

Odds are that if that money was not spent on the "protect marriage" fund, then right now that money would be spent on the "stop obamacare" fund. But certainly that money would be spent on some other political activist activity. Not education, not feeding the poor, not Iraq, not the new UN building fund, not cancer research or anything else. Just political activism. (Or maybe it would be going to the new Church building fund)

What i meant is that it COULD. It could. But it won't. Because obama cares not for education, but that is for another time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

apollo wrote:
Daganev wrote:
apollo wrote:

umm..Yes it can.

No really it can't. What makes you think it can used for education?

If the people who gave this money send their kids to private schools, they already have a set tuition they are paying for. If those schools have fundraisers, the money has already been spent on them. If the people send their kids to public school, then the taxes have already been taken and any extra fundraising has already been done.

Unless you can show proof that people who gave to that cause refused to pay for education because of giving to that cause, then there is no reasonable assumption that the money could have been spent on education.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
Private
Private

So what your saying, is that people would not want it to go towards educating America's youth? I doubt this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

apollo wrote:
So what your saying, is that people would not want it to go towards educating America's youth? I doubt this.

Did you send in an extra check to a poor school today to educate someone? Why or why not?

I can tell you that I did not send in a check to a poor school today.
I did write a check earlier this month to [url="http://www.kiva.org/"]Kiva,[/url] as I think that is a better use of my money, but to some poor American school which will just waste that money on a better desk for an administrator? No way.

Last edited by Daganev on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 pm 
Private
Private

Daganev wrote:
apollo wrote:

Did you send in an extra check to a poor school today to educate someone? Why or why not?

No. Why? I don't work. If i had donated to any service, and that service was cancelled. i.e., Gay Marriage, and found out that my money would be going to education, i would be more than happy. I am sick of inner city schools not getting the proper funding. But let us get off of this topic, as this is about gay marriage, not funding for education.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next