It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Death Sentences.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

The electric chair kills pretty fast, the twitching isn't a sign that the person is still alive (or at least, that their brain is)

Likewise with hanging, it breaks your neck and you die instantly - you don't choke to death slowly.

See my last post for my opposition of capital punishment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 am 
Captain
Captain

Routhy wrote:
The electric chair kills pretty fast, the twitching isn't a sign that the person is still alive (or at least, that their brain is)

Likewise with hanging, it breaks your neck and you die instantly - you don't choke to death slowly.

actually there are accounts of people being shocked multiple times and still surviving.

oh and hanging is choking to death, the fall breaks the front part of the neck closing the wind pipe resulting in asphyxiation.

systematic organ failure is never pleasant unless doped beyond your mind on drugs.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:02 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Breaking the neck generally leads to immediate unconsciousness, but I'm not going to sit and argue the humanity of capital punishment when I don't even agree with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 am 
Corporal
Corporal

mrducky wrote:
Routhy wrote:

actually there are accounts of people being shocked multiple times and still surviving.

oh and hanging is choking to death, the fall breaks the front part of the neck closing the wind pipe resulting in asphyxiation.

systematic organ failure is never pleasant unless doped beyond your mind on drugs.

What is systematic organ failure?

LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I researched on this, and I came across something that will end this little side debate here:
Quote:
The modern method of judicial hanging is called the long drop. In the long drop, those planning the execution calculate the drop distance required to break the subject's neck based on his or her weight, height and build.

With the knot of the noose placed at the left side of the subject's neck, under the jaw, the jolt to the neck at the end of the drop is enough to break or dislocate a neck bone called the axis, which in turn should sever the spinal cord. In some cases, the hangman jerks up on the rope at the precise moment when the drop is ending in order to facilitate the breakage.

When the neck BREAKS and severs the spine, blood pressure drops down to nothing in about a second, and the subject loses consciousness. Brain death then takes several minutes to occur, and complete death can take more than 15 or 20 minutes, but the person at the end of the rope most likely can't feel or experience any of the pain.

It's not a matter of one organ failing after another. Clearly from all appearances this modern process is quicker and more instant. Only in the older days did they hang you for a longer period of time, I believe. You would just dangle from the noose until you choke to death. But again, more modern ways do not act on this principle.

Now let's get back on topic shall we? I have no further arguments at the moment, however.

No signatures will be made.

Spam Day RPs have been thrown away.

Tittle as Maintenance Team and GM as been abandoned.

Good luck with the forums, you'll need it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 am 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

if you ask me, I'm with the death penalty. If one guy murders a family, he just gets to live it off in jail, he should be in jail for like 4000 years but that can't happen so death is an option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Morality is relative to the person you ask. So how can we possibly think that we have the right to cast such judgements?

Shameless self-quote:
Quote:
A society that finds murder unnaceeptible should not commit murder itself.

Just because our social norms hold murder as a bad thing does not make it so, morals are relative to a culture and just because we beleive something does not make it 'right' or 'moral'.

If you agree with the death penalty for crimes that you deem seriously immoral, then you must be accepting of other natons that also practice capital punishment. You cannot however expect all nations in the world to have the same set of moral values.

Thus, if you're ok with the capital punishment for things that you see as immoral, you must also accept capital punishment for things that other cultures see as immoral (like women who demand more rights) - You cannot claim that your morals are the right ones because morals are relative.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:46 am 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

DETH!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Monsters deserve monstrous deaths, I am completely fine with a murderer being murdered and I wouldn't mind doing it myself actually.

Quote:
You cannot claim that your morals are the right ones

Routhy for some reason thinks that people are not entitled to their own opinions. Do explain why?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4