It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please read the stickied topic marked "Please read before posting"~

Please only post here if you need technical help with BattleDawn, or if you have information that can help someone.

Please stay on topic.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fed up with incomplete endings and dodgy restarts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Having just finished E4 and awaiting the restart E1 I am very disappointed with the poor management of both.

The management of this game need to impose proper regulation of both.

End of round.

I only discovered yesterday that if your alliance holds all 10 relics that you are awarded 1000 blue tokens. The disappointing thing is that I had to create a new colony on E4 to claim them.

The management should make it automatic that this is paid out automatically when the game ends and havoc starts. Players should not have to chase prizes that were fairly won.

The management should also clearly announce and display the prizes and scales of the other awards that can be won i.e. wreckages

Restart

We have now been waiting 2 days on E1 to restart. I'm not pointing fingers at the world admins for this but it is plainly ridiculous that 1 admin has to wait on another to count wreckages to end the round.
And then to say that its too late in the day to begin is just nonsense. Late in the day ... where? .... in what timezone?
I have seen eras begin at lots of different times for me - lunchtime, breakfast or in the middle of the night.
I don't care what time it begins - but I do want it to begin when its expected and that is the problem.

I realise that the undefined start time is part of the game, it adds some suspense and has the dedicated players spending hours refreshing and communicating to check has havoc ended and a new round and battle begun.
But surely there needs to be some better regulation of the start window, it can't just be on the pure whim of the admin when to start. I know its my choice to wait for restart - but its grossly unfair to ask me and others to wait for days with no definate idea of when it will begin.

I'm sorry Andrew - but 'early tomorrow' just doesn't cut it - its now after 1pm here 3pm in Egypt and after 9am in the USA and still no restart - do we await 'early tomorrow' in China ?

Please fix this.

E1 Mo of KOA - The Fighting 69th
E3-A5 Mo of Kingdom of Armagh - ARM
E3-A6 Barney Gumble - The Simpsons

Post subject: Re: Fed up with incomplete endings and dodgy restarts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I agree in all points to Maniac.

And add a small note :) :

I remember last era m4. I got attacked from a multi (he got banned later) almost every night. I reported it to Andrew and got that reply:
Battledawn is a GLOBAL game, don't forget that. If you sleep does not mean that every player is sleeping ... ( well his english was better, but he say it like this)

Andrew, do you forgot that BD is a global game???

If its to late for you to start the new era should not mean that its to late for every player !
Your "early" morning is my late afternoon. And i see really no point in waiting 24 hours now to see some undefinied "news" why it wasn't possibble to start the new era.

Btw Maniac, we got the tokens for the win at tick 180 in the new era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 pm 
Captain
Captain

We have an automated function that starts Havoc and gives out the 1000 bonus token rewards to all members of the top alliance. We'd been having problems with it and in some cases it wasn't giving out the tokens to the winners. The problems should have been resolved now for it and tokens should be given out automatically now to remove the manual tracking/giving by the admins.

As for the Havoc/restart of Earth 1 that was completely my fault due to my computer keyboard breaking down and me being locked out of it. There was a series of missed encounters which lead to me ultimately delaying the reset to Sunday.

Yes BD is a game with players from all timezones however the bulk of our players(over 2/3's) last time I checked have a western timezone(NA/SA). For this reason I usually try to get the resets done to cater to the majority of our playerbase.

On that note however we have plans to implement a starting "warm-up" time to remove the random nature of the start of a round as it is something we've had complaints about(moreso than just this thread). This will be a period where you can place colonies, talk to others and make plans of what to do while ticks are paused. No structures will be able to be built and ticks will be paused until the round starts. We'll have a countdown timer as well for it. This is something we plan to implement and there are just a few other things ahead of it such as some bugs with spies and experience as well as an overhaul/rewrite of the spies system as it's a bit of a mess right now :D due to a lot of modding from the original one we put in place on the new client.

We have heard your complaints and feedback in this area guys and more and more we're implementing automated features such as starting havoc and the new automated placement of relics. There's 3 specific automations that we are working on that I can think of offhand:

1) The end of the round: A countdown starting when 1 alliance has all 10 relics with a timer at the top, same for when the round timer is almost up. This will also start Havoc once the timer is up and our ultimate goal is to remove the "screenshots" of final rankings and replace it with a database where you can look up all past eras and pull up any final ranking for any player in the game at the end of the round. When first implemented we'll probably just have it freeze the ticks/scoreboard till an admin can record scores and then begin havoc.

2) The start of the round: A countdown at the start of a new era where the world is paused, even building structures. This allows you to place your colonies and make initial plans of who to attack in your area and gives players who may not be available right when a round starts to have a colony so they can start getting some resources when the round starts and have a position.

3) Garrisons - We're wanting to add more secondary and tertiary goals into the game and we're looking to have the system place random garrisons around the world every so often with a random number of units and crystals(random but still proportionate to the # of units on the garrison). They would be like wreckages but have defense and show up in the relics tab, once someone successfully captures it their squads will automatically return to origin and the garrison will disappear.

We want to remove all the extra things the admins have to be responsible for so that they have more time to interact with players, enforce rules and plan events.

Hope this insight into some of our plans addresses your concerns guys!

-Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:17 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks Andrew :D

A little bit of info goes along way to making us happy !

E1 Mo of KOA - The Fighting 69th
E3-A5 Mo of Kingdom of Armagh - ARM
E3-A6 Barney Gumble - The Simpsons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:19 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

Some nice additions Andrew, but XP is still top priority... right? lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 pm 
Captain
Captain

XP being fully finished and getting spies overhauled to remove some old bugs are my current top priority list. After that admin tools and automation are next.

-Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:30 pm 
Captain
Captain

Very nice updates. Although, for the second one, will boosting be paused too?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 pm 
Captain
Captain

No, but boost cooldowns wouldn't start till the ticks were no longer paused anyways so supporters can't get an extra headstart during that time.

-Andrew

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]