It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: SoLD: Review of Age Three
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

We started age 3 in our old position in New Zealand again, with some colonies being placed in Thailand and Antarctica. Since we lost several players from age 2 (and because we had few members who would boost), we initially had a rather low rank. This encouraged some noobish alliances to think they could challenge us for New Zealand or Australia, hampering our build up somewhat. Additionally, DROW, our close allies from age 2, also lost several of their main players, leaving them considerably weaker than before. Despite this, we managed to capture 2 admin relics early on.

War against GRR

It quickly emerged that the strongest ally around was GRR, starting in Europe and Madagascar and quickly surpassing all others in rank and crystals. Some previous FRXX members players (who still had an axe to grind with us for beating FRXX in Age2) played in GRR as well. We knew that GRR wanted to wipe us out early, and sure enough, they soon turned up in Thailand. Our hive there was wiped out and GRR proceeded into Australia. At this point, GRR had roughly double the score of SoLD and considerably larger armies. However, our home defense stood solid, so they bypassed New Zealand to attack our infrastructure in Antarctica first and take over one of our relics there.

After moving the relic to Australia, in what turned out to be a game deciding moment, they staged an attack on New Zealand with the captured relic. What GRR had missed, was that after GRRs retreat to Australia with the relic, we had rebuild several silos in Antartica. Then bad strategy coupled with bad luck for GRR: We attacked their relic with nukes, while they kept moving closer to NZ. Finally, they send away some of their armies to attack one of our colonies (with our nukes still in the air). At that point, the server froze for some hours. So not only did our nuke hit their relic, but we also logged on in time to kill the nuked half of their armies before the attacking half came back. GRR lost about 5 full armies in those battles and lost 2 more soon afterwards in Australia.

With momentum now on our side, we pushed GRR back all the way from Australia to Saudi Arabia. However, the crystal count was still strongly in their favor. GRR soon rebuild and heavy action ensured for many days. Tootje deserves a special mention for single handedly keeping us at bay with his huge armies for 2 days. In the end, stronger activity and better tactics on our side won the war. Several of their players became demoralised after repeatedly losing their army and stopped contributing to GRR's war effort. We killed the remaining fighters and the way to Madagascar stood open.

War against DGB

Earlier, while GRR was still in Australia, DGB (based in Greenland) had moved several armies into Australia trying to (in Kamina's words) be "vultures" and take some of our crystals when GRR would defeat us. This expedition ended with several DGB armies killed after they did not head our warnings to leave Australia.

When it became clear that GRR was defeated, DGB staged a more successful relic/crystal raid on Madagascar. With GRR's approval, they took most of GRR's crystals, literaly hours before our armies arrived there. Some GRR players also relocated to Alaska and joined DGB later. This moved DGB into the No1 ally spot. Additionally, they took over 3 of the 4 GRR relics and tried to escape to Greenland. Obviously, we would not have someone steal the spoils from a war that had been waged for a good 2000 ticks from under our noses. So we decided to go to war with DGB.

DGB's skill and especially leadership was nowhere near the level of GRR's, so the resulting war was relatively short, compared to the campaign against GRR. We dislodged DGB and subs (minus the one that deserted them right at the start of the war) from Europe and also their hive in Greenland. They relocated and hid, together with the remaints of GRR and aided by NWO and subs, in Alaska. So we moved in there as well and finally beat them, taking most of their crystals. Given that our home base was New Zealand, this is probably one of the biggest campaign ever in terms of area covered.

End game

Our wars left us with 7 relics, while our close allies FEAR had 3 (1 of these war booty from GRR). With about 1200 ticks to go, SoLD and FEAR started discussing a fun war to decide the relic holders. However, FEAR didn't like the idea of having their members lose ranking, while SoLD's members where not particularily keen on a third war (having been in major warfare for about 3000 ticks straight). So in the end FEAR handed over the relics to us without the need to fight.

AFF
I cant finish before (briefly) mentioning AFF and Jase of Dog city. Claimants to the titles of "most overhyped ally" and "biggest coward" of Age 3 respectively.

AFF was located at the southern tip of South America and quickly emerged as the second strongest ally of the early game (after GRR and before SoLD and FEAR). They recruited high ranked players left and right and looked set to be a major player for the rest of the round. Then some of their minor wars against a mid ranked ally in Africa went wrong, with some of their players losing their army. This lead to a revolt against their ineffective leader (leaving him conquered). That in turn lead to a civil war between AFF and their sub (leaving some AFF players conquered, others fleeing to GRR). AFFs' now high rank lead to their leader thinking he could, after defeating AFF, clearly defeat FEAR (positioned in SW Antartica) as well. That lead to the quick and thorough dismantling of AFFs and everything left of AFF.

In all this, Jase was a mid ranked AFF player, who rose to rank1 by taking the crystals of other AFF member in their messy destruction. Afterwards he fled to GRR. When GRR was defeated, he fled to DGB. When we defeated DGB, he fled into vacation mode. In the end, he gave away his crystals to FEAR. Melmik last round was bad, but at least he worked for his No1 spot in the first place. Jase, just was bad.

Shouts

SoLD: You guys make me proud! Beating the ranked 1 ally not once, but twice in a round is awesome.
FEAR: Great working with you once more, I am looking forward to Age 4 =)
ReB, AuAu, FOE, SIMM: You have been very loyal allies. Was a pleasure to be allied to you.
GRR: You were by far the best opponents I have ever fought in BD, winning against you was a close call. Special mention to Tootje & puppy leader, you kept us worried for long long nights.
DGB: You confused crystals with skill and paid the prize.

The lesson of this age is old, but still disregarded by far too many:

Rank does not win games, skill does.

- Xeeron

PS: Be sure to check out my bonus battle reports at viewtopic.php?f=88&t=5421. Best fun I had on the board this age ;-)

Post subject: Re: SoLD: Review of Age Three
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

loved the bonus report xD
good round SoLD :)
didn't play e3 much after i left for a period, but from what i know you guys deserved it ;)

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Great round SoLD, by far u guys have been the most active alliance i have ever fought, i think I ever found like 2 inactive time periods that we could take advantage of and it was when we pushed u out of saudi after that we crashed our armies into a big portion of yous since we had spied most of the units knowing we would not win, but expecting to do heavy damage, from there we went down. The gap between our activity levels alliance wise, as well as bad decissions by my part gave you guys the well deserved win. Congrats it was very fun, I would love to compete agaisnt u guys again some day.

Raulillo, Thunderpuppy

Proud member of:
Grr

Alliances in the past:
MES, SCB, SSS, KAD, xKTx, SV,Grr,Prr, VVV, Meow, DGB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:46 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

good game sold(s)(i forgot how you speell all of them) :D thanks for not killing us in asia...and sorry we didn't help in any wars :|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Did'nt you guys start In europe E3 A1?

Or does SoLD date back to old client?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Lol that "mid ranked alliance" in Africa was us, BRS. We aren't some random newbs either. It was a bunch of experianced players who were having fun, and succesfully proved money doesn't beat experiance. When we crushed AFF, They boosted and boosted, and still we destroyed them.

"Nukes are like hard liquer-They make people feel tougher than they really are"-CSTORM666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Good round to everyone :D best round for a while for me

(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•.¸¸¸,¤ºBD TESTERº¤,¸¸¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 am 
Private
Private

I loved SoLD teamplay :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:29 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

good round guys. Uni and Xeeron did a good work maintaining us togheter.

GRR you gived us a good fight specially my hometown Raul and Toot. Really good players but the others wasnt like them.

DGB your guys doent have courage to fight and Jaze you are the biggest coward in BD history.

SoLD working to win another round again

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]