It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What is the Problem?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:22 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

OK, so lately we've all been seeing several thread suggesting new ideas to improve the quality of the game, and i think that's great. But i also noticed that on these suggestion threads, SOMETIMES the problems are not being addressed properly or the suggestion doesn't actually help get rid of the problem because the problem isn't properly identified.

So I'm suggesting we all write our ideas on what is wrong with the game, and we discuss why the problems are problems in addition to What is the Problem?

So no solutions will be provided here, nor am i or you to suggest ways to fix the problems, you can make another thread for that. Here, i would like us to identify the problems and no more. If you disagree that something isn't a problem then say so. Don't give 1 word answers. Please try to be specific about your responses and no going off topic (mods delete these posts).

I will update the beginning of this thread with problems that people agree are real and need to be addressed.

OK, so one problem i would like to point out is the fact that unless you have a ridiculous amount of activity, it's almost a guarantee that you won't win, this is less evident these days but you get the point. So one of the problems is too much activity needed to win. Most of the players are students, if im correct. That'll be all for now.

Post subject: Re: What is the Problem?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:20 pm 
AANC Mentors
AANC Mentors

agents=overpowered defense=less wars
sub empires
energy scarcity=less war
and overall as much as we try to balance this game so the nubs can be on par with the pro veteren players just isnt right, i had to learn how to play BD the hard way, i didnt even have a teacher. why cant these new players do the same?

Hero 2nd
RFW 2nd
3rd E5 SOLO
FPM 1st
TFF 2nd
ToXc 1st
BoS 1st
OC 1st
TFF 1st X2

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lilconquer wrote:
sub empires
energy scarcity=less war
and overall as much as we try to balance this game so the nubs can be on par with the pro veteren players just isnt right, i had to learn how to play BD the hard way, i didnt even have a teacher. why cant these new players do the same?

Defense SHOULD be overpowered. I do think there should be a few additional offensive spy actions (in the area of, one that attempts to kill all enemy agents and nothing else ignoring spy protection and one that adds spy prot the moment you capture an outpost. Things like that come into mind) but defense should always have an advantage. Wars should be encouraged by increase of profit from victory, not by easing the actions of a backstab or weakening the chance of the smaller alliances.

Further, I believe there should be significantly more offensive spy traps. I am even leaning towards saying Spy Protection adding without spies should be removed.

Sub empires have always been there. They are not a problem. The game mechanics are. In fact, Sub Empires are the prime method for new players to learn this game and prove themselves, right now.

I've never heard of a team who refused to war because they didn't make enough E. The scarcity might be encouraging subs, helpers and such but from my experience it's not discouraging warfare. Further I think managing supplies is one of the few challenging things left in this game. Would prefer that to stay.

As for the last piece... YOUR time wasn't perfect either. This game has always had serious problems retaining new players and it has actually gone a very long way towards fixing it, believe it or not. The skill level has dropped - so has the influx of new players. But the game has done a good job making it easier to get into for those who do stick.

The idea that a game can not be both, accessible for new players AND interesting for the older veterans is absurd. And your own work by no means is a reason for it to be that way.

The removal of any and all "bugs" that were basically the tricks of this game, the complete kill of the community-game integration and the removal of game elements that made the game appealing to the more strategical groups of people is what is causing these issues.

There is a path forward, but I believe that we should be looking towards a new client. Because the amount of development required to both, make it significantly more accessible and attractive (to drive in more players) and to simultaneously add more late-game elements, tricks and encouragements would be quite large and a bit of a waste considering the platform this game is built on is burning down.

One does not build a skyscraper on a sinking island.

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

lilconquer wrote:
sub empires
energy scarcity=less war

I recognize sub empires might seem like a problem but i think at the core they are not. Why is it that people have subs?

Energy Scarcity: i do not believe this is a problem at all. Managing your output is needed on your part.

at your last point, not everyone is the same as you. I played similar to to you way. it took me about a year or so to really know how to play this game, for some it never happens.

I will reply later to yours alexander

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 pm 
Private
Private

-Topic moved to BD Gameplay Discussion-

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

When you enter a world in the opening message should be a link to the aanc mentors so noobs can get help and hopefully stay... Also if hugging is a problem I'd say add ways to discourage it...like no tokens for finishing in 2nd or 3rd place as an alliance...

Check out RupertAngier's Wonderful Community Suggestions ;)
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25755

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:02 am 
Major
Major

Alexanderkitty wrote:
lilconquer wrote:
sub empires
energy scarcity=less war

Defense SHOULD be overpowered. I do think there should be a few additional offensive spy actions (in the area of, one that attempts to kill all enemy agents and nothing else ignoring spy protection and one that adds spy prot the moment you capture an outpost. Things like that come into mind) but defense should always have an advantage. Wars should be encouraged by increase of profit from victory, not by easing the actions of a backstab or weakening the chance of the smaller alliances.

Further, I believe there should be significantly more offensive spy traps. I am even leaning towards saying Spy Protection adding without spies should be removed.

Sub empires have always been there. They are not a problem. The game mechanics are. In fact, Sub Empires are the prime method for new players to learn this game and prove themselves, right now.

I've never heard of a team who refused to war because they didn't make enough E. The scarcity might be encouraging subs, helpers and such but from my experience it's not discouraging warfare. Further I think managing supplies is one of the few challenging things left in this game. Would prefer that to stay.

As for the last piece... YOUR time wasn't perfect either. This game has always had serious problems retaining new players and it has actually gone a very long way towards fixing it, believe it or not. The skill level has dropped - so has the influx of new players. But the game has done a good job making it easier to get into for those who do stick.

The idea that a game can not be both, accessible for new players AND interesting for the older veterans is absurd. And your own work by no means is a reason for it to be that way.

The removal of any and all "bugs" that were basically the tricks of this game, the complete kill of the community-game integration and the removal of game elements that made the game appealing to the more strategical groups of people is what is causing these issues.

There is a path forward, but I believe that we should be looking towards a new client. Because the amount of development required to both, make it significantly more accessible and attractive (to drive in more players) and to simultaneously add more late-game elements, tricks and encouragements would be quite large and a bit of a waste considering the platform this game is built on is burning down.

One does not build a skyscraper on a sinking island.

energy means a lot considering how much SP you have to use when attacking
and defense shouldnt be as overpowered as it is, leads to boring eras aka battlehugs, and i never said my time was perfect, im seeing a lot of new features i like that i dont complain about but in all honesty the newer players are being so babied its rediculous

oh another problem is not being able to get xtals at 20 power
but you know for those people that complain about farming xtal income doesnt really do that much

XIRX 4th
TTE 1st
RFW 2nd
Hero 2nd
3rd E5 SOLO
FPM 1st
TFF 2nd
ToXc 1st
add me on supermechs 8069321

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

RupertAngier wrote:
When you enter a world in the opening message should be a link to the aanc mentors so noobs can get help and hopefully stay... Also if hugging is a problem I'd say add ways to discourage it...like no tokens for finishing in 2nd or 3rd place as an alliance...

i appreciate your input but no solutions of any kind are to be discussed here merely problems. That being said, can i safely say that you think there is a problem with noobs being too unfamiliar with how to play the game and so on? Because i don't think that's really the problem as it's been that way forever and it wasn't a problem before.

@LC: let me say this about the defense stuff. It's been this way and i really don't think it's a problem. people have found ways to go around it and it's my belief they will continue to do so.

about the crystals thing. I've thought about this for a while and i was actually on your side just a week ago or something, but conversations with others have made me realize crystals are okay the way they are. Look at the OC, most ocers brag about how it was so competitive and all that, now look at the crystal count. It's very small.

at alexander: i was going to reply to yours but i really have nothing to say.

also i have another suggestion. Alexander has pointed this out and it's been bugging me for the longest time and i would just like to clarify and have you guys see if it's really a problem. One of the problems i believe is the simplicity of the game. I think it's come down to solely activity. I hear about all these great players that are great and so on, and to be honest i don't get it. I think what makes these great players great for the majority of the time is their insane activity.Just think of those great players that come to mind when someone says great BDers, what are the top reasons that come up? if a player is crazy active with enough knowledge of the game they can be "great". Now i know there are some other factors that contribute to this but in the end i feel like it's really all about activity. Another related thing is wars. During wars, it's really all activity, and spies. Now, i realize there are some little near tricks you can use here and there to catch an enemy off guard but these tricks can only go for so much and the majority of the time it's just about who is onine and who can send all 10/12 of their members' army at one op and kill off the opponent's armies in divides. I would also like to note that when i say players i am not referring to leaders, i'm referring to the members of an alliance that isn't a leader. Leaders need skill, they need good diplomacy skills, knowing what to anticipate in backstabs, who to trust, how to get their alliance members' morale up and all that good stuff but the above refers to those who are not doing those.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:06 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

too many thread makers and not enough repliers
bump

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Major
Major

The problem is looking to the past and not to the future. We need to look forward for ways to positively improve the game and to help our new players. If all we do is constantly kill the new players they will not stick around and learn the game which we need. Stop looking to the past and complaining and start looking to the future and do something to help.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next