It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Rule #1 - Be respectful at all times.

Rule #2 - Obey rule #1

Rule #3 - No nudity, excessive foul language or lewd sexual discussions. Common sense rules apply.

Rule #4 - Obey any reasonable request of an administrator or moderator.

Rule #5 - Have fun! =)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Alex' Game Suggestions of the Week
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So i've been playing a lot more different games recently, partially as research (I am studying Game Development) and partially for fun.

So I figured, I am going to share the gems I find. Both, modern and old games. I am going to give tips as to how to get access to these games, and descriptions of them.

Maybe no one will give them a shot - but if one person does - that's enough for me!

Week 1

Game of Now

Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest DLC
Spoiler:
While not technically a new game, the brand new Viking Conquest DLC adds a much needed refresh to the amazing Mount & Blade: Warband game. It improves the graphics, adds naval warfare and a full storyline. Furthermore, it features vikings! That's right, expect to encounter the other Alexander, Aashis, Simen and many other scandinavian BDers. Or well, their ancestors...

It's quite buggy right now, so be advised. It's improving rapidly, however.

For those unfamiliar with M&B:W, you essentially travel around a map doing diplomatics both inside of your faction and outside of it, starting with a rag tag band of peasants and possibly ending up with your own kingdom (or dead). It has a terrific online mode and battles are fought in glorious 3D, with you as both a warrior and commander!

It's pretty amazing.

Who should play this game?

Fans of medieval-ish RPGs, viking fans, RTS fans, people with frustrations who would like to pretend to drive a sword through some scrawny scandinavian guys. Or Routhy (you can find his ancestor in the pub in Nottinglaham or however you spell it)

So who shouldn't?
People obsessive about graphics or music, people who can't stand any bugs or imperfections, people without any patience or love for the medieval era, anyone with dyslexia. There's some seriously hard sentences in this game.

Que: Cool Videos. AKA: The TL;dr section.

A gameplay trailer!

*WARNING: BAD LANGUAGE*
Who better to showcase a game, than the swede from the "Unarmed Viking Badass" skyrim viral hit?

OK Cool, so how do I get it?

While torrenting is of course an option (ask Gaurav for the link of Warband - he has to give it daily to Allen anyway!), I do not recommend this.

Instead, buy it through TaleWorlds or Steam. Simply because they're a small indie developer - they need everything they can get. Not some big corporation trying to cheat you out of your every penny.

Game of Yore

Mother 3
Spoiler:
Mother 3, to put it simple, is a wonderful story about the impact a mother has on the people in a small village. As industrialisation slowly creeps up to the people of the largely empty nowhere islands and the world changes, you see the background and changes to multiple characters caused by the mother in question and the everchanging world. It's beautiful, utterly sad and hilarious.

Sounds odd? That's because it is. Mother 3 is an extremely unique game and an all around improved sequel to "EarthBound" (also known as Mother 2). From beautiful, inspiring, flowing music to cute graphics and some of the best jokes and moments ive seen in any game, this game got it all. It will make anyone that isn't heartless laugh, cry and rejoice.

Who should play this game?

(J) RPG fans, gaming music fans, story enthusiasts, the kind of players that feel a great game should also be a great book. This is also a terrific (J) RPG to start with, being surprisingly easy to get into compared to other games.

So who shouldn't?
If you play games for fighting, violence, competition or graphics, this is not your game. It's ugly. Real ugly. And peaceful. Real peaceful. Don't bother.

Que: Cool Videos. AKA: The TL;dr section.

The intro, quite nicely done and showcases just how unique it is.

An example of Mother 3's amazing music.

OK Cool, so how do I get it?

Well, this is on the difficult side... you see, Mother 3 was never released in the West.

That said - thanks to the dedication of fans, this can be done!

First, you'll need a rom. I am not linking one, as Simen would ban me. But lets just say a bit of googling will get you certain files named Mother 3 (J).gba at about 10MB...

Second of all, you'll need an emulator to run this rom. I would recommend VisualBoyAdvance (similar emulators exist for all platforms - even for Android!). The advantage of VBA is that its fully legal - it doesn't require a bios or any other proprietary files. It's simple and it works. I will not link it as you can possibly find roms on the site - so Google is your friend.

Finally, you need to make Mother 3 english! Simply use the patcher. Yup, that simple!

Have fun!

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

Post subject: Re: Alex' Game Suggestions of the Week
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:00 pm 
News Team
News Team

Even for a Mount and Blade game there's a lot of bugs in the DLC. You may want to wait until they update the DLC and kill most of the bugs. Otherwise it feels like jumping in a jar of mayonnaise and rolling down a beach.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lolowut wrote:
Even for a Mount and Blade game there's a lot of bugs in the DLC. You may want to wait until they update the DLC and kill most of the bugs. Otherwise it feels like jumping in a jar of mayonnaise and rolling down a beach.

Aye. They did fix a bunch about a week ago though!

Also, you're in Mother 3.

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:35 pm 
News Team
News Team

of course I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:03 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Hmm, mount and blade looks interesting, but I think I'd have to go clean my computer up first before downloading it. Stupid virus' and my laziness of not wanting to do a system restore =_=
But anywho, how much is this game? I could probably look it up, but meh, I'm lazy (as said before).

And I would still suggest Age of Empires II :P I'm still having mucho fun playing with friends there on steam :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

malicewolf wrote:
Hmm, mount and blade looks interesting, but I think I'd have to go clean my computer up first before downloading it. Stupid virus' and my laziness of not wanting to do a system restore =_=
But anywho, how much is this game? I could probably look it up, but meh, I'm lazy (as said before).

And I would still suggest Age of Empires II :P I'm still having mucho fun playing with friends there on steam :lol:

Warband is 20EUR, Viking Conquest is 15 EUR, or you can get the Full Collection including "Mount & Blade, Mount & Blade: Warband, Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars, Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest, Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword" for 40EUR

Warband does not need the original M&B to play. I cant recommend original M&B, Warband is an all around improved version based on the exact same engine. Napoleonic Wars is an online only DLC with linebattles etc, cool if you're into that, With Fire & Sword is essentially Warband with guns in Poland.

:)

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

sweet deal. I think I'd be more into Warband Fire & Sword if I were to do any. Though, if I could strategize on Napoleonic Wars outside of the contemporary back then (line up and shoot) I'd be all for it :P

Guerrilla warfare!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

malicewolf wrote:
sweet deal. I think I'd be more into Warband Fire & Sword if I were to do any. Though, if I could strategize on Napoleonic Wars outside of the contemporary back then (line up and shoot) I'd be all for it :P

Guerrilla warfare!! :twisted:

Napoleonic Wars tends to be played by regiments, who have leaders. :)

Line battles and Captain Battles are amusing for a couple of rounds but not long, the siege warfare however...

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:02 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Hmm, yea that does look pretty interesting ^^

Though I found it SOOO funny how long it took to frickin reload! xD

It's like, shoot once, reload for next 5 minutes, ok ready for another shot! God I hope I don't miss!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

malicewolf wrote:
Hmm, yea that does look pretty interesting ^^

Though I found it SOOO funny how long it took to frickin reload! xD

It's like, shoot once, reload for next 5 minutes, ok ready for another shot! God I hope I don't miss!

Haha yeah. Napoleonic Wars is VERY Realistic - the cannons are slower and even harder to aim, but one hit means 10~ kills oftenly. Fire & Sword also has slow, one hit kill guns, but it combines this with swords, as the guns arent as effective close range, there's no defenses and they've limited ammo and take even longer then reload. So you essentially have your men shoot once, then CHAAARGEEE!

But Warband is most preferred, its satisfying to just go hacking and slashing with the rapid bows etc :)

Alexander
Product Manager
Battle Dawn

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next