It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sort of lame Champion Era?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 am 
Major
Major

lifenstuff wrote:
the population caught me off guard. I thought for sure it would be twice as much as a normal e1 era but i think the normal players didn't realize the importance of this era?

I think the issue was the normal players heard championship era and figured why bother, they stood no chance. Also in my opinion we didn't get any of the noobs really because it was not the first world. That is the reason why E1 gets so many players, it is the first world you see. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:27 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Korupt wrote:
There was not a large number of teams but the level of competition was a bit higher imo. At least for a little while. After CBop faded away and GML lost 120 squads it was more of "Who did VND kill today?" not "I wonder if they have survived the night."

agreed on this, the only war worth watching was CBop vs VND

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I agree with you on many points. I asked to have this era done on E1, for several reasons. The first being that as predicted there are big empires and subs. For a newbie that is joining, I would say that an era like this is ideal. There are many alliances that need extra firepower and have subs, so there would be high chances that newbies that actually want to play are taken into alliances and taught how the game works.

The second reason is that E1 also often has some newbie alliances. These alliances of course don't necessarily go for the win but they are always an interesting force to take into account.. And even if not in alliances, random newbies etc that have joined and gotten active can be a pest, therefore make the game more interesting in my opinion as it makes territory control more difficult.

Third of all simple because of the income of course. E1 has way more conquers to take, way more OPs to take and that brings higher income to alliances meaning more squads for wars, more incentive to control your territory and more reason to actually expand into other continents.
Which brings me to my next point..

Quote:
Yeah, that's kinda how the competition was when I enjoyed it. Getting 2 continents was incredibly difficult and done only after a major war.

Quote:
I expected a lot more wars over territorial disputes. I only expected one alliance to be able to have presence over one continent and that is what they would have to fight for.

Apart from me simply not knowing what it was like in the OC, I think there are good explanations to give for this.. Continents are way easier to take nowadays, indeed. But there is also much less reason to actually heavily defend a continent or stick to one. In the past you would have perhaps 3 times the number of conquers there are on this world and every conquer would give more income. That gives a very good incentive to take a continent and try to control it completely. At the same time it is more difficult to control it both because of the larger population on your continent leading to more resistance and due to the fact that this promotes territorial wars.

But alas, that is a whole other thread.. That you find here. http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=24028

Either way, that is not to say I didn't see the CE as a special era. Some might disagree with me on this but VND is simply a very impressive team. Yes, our team has boosted, and yes it has been quite a lot, but I would say it is not as much as people think we did. We have been warring since tick 10, and good luck finding a Battle Report in which we lost. It has brought a lot of boosting to Battledawn, very intense gameplay for hundreds of ticks on end and brought many good players back to Battledawn. GML, many in CBop, SAGE, ARM..

Of course the sad part about the CE is that it will be won by a coalition, VND. I would have liked to see it differently but that is "Current Battledawn" (again, check the thread I linked). It is the logical way of winning given the current mechanics of the game. Despite the fact that VND won largely thanks to a coalition I'd still wager we could have taken on any alliance 1v1 and won. But that's a whole other discussion.

So yes, partly I agree with you that the era has been a disappointment for me. I was hoping for more conquers, more OPs, more newbs, more kills, more opponents, more old legends returning, and a longer era. On the other hand I have also met a lot of great players on this era, had an absolute blast hunting and killing units and have defeated lots of great players.

This era for me has mixed feelings, as you can see.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

aister wrote:
the only war worth watching was CBop vs VND

If your talking about the CBop vs VND war near the start of the era being the only war worth watching then I couldn't disagree more.

It was good to watch but...

I thought the GML push very interesting. Here's this big alliance that looked like they were going to steamroll up through South America and beyond. Big enough for some of the main alliances (who might have otherwise been fighting each other to band together into a Grand Allience. GML then get stopped cold before eventually being pushed back south by the Grand Alliance.

Then there was the jump into AA to go after GML that was good to watch. There was a very good screenshot that someone took with what looked like a waterfall of squads and missiles.

There has also been a very long ongoing war that started in West Africa and slowly moved East through the middle East, into India and seems to have wound down now. This battle involved a number of teams on both sides.

Those are just the main wars that I have been able to observe.

Id be very surprised if there weren't other wars in other parts of the world that i didn't see that weren't worth watching. (that last sentence seems a bit of a mouth full but I cant be bothered to re word it) :lol:

Guess what I'm saying is different people are getting different experiences from this era and it might be best to come to the championship with no preconceptions as hard as that might be to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

the GML war was just because they have tons of silos and packed alliances, so the big amount of units were not a big surprise. However, they didn't provide any good reactions, all I can see is GML getting slaughtered and being pushed badly.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

In reply to the above, i personally only felt excitement when the cbop vs vnd war happened.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I came up with the same sentiments the other day, just wasn't going to rain on anyone's parade. Since, its a topic i guess i ll comment. xD

The game had just evolved into something different from what I used to love. I had to question myself if it was just me. Maybe a little of both. I remember when fighting battles on one continent was tough and fun, wasn't even thinking about controlling the whole board. I am not even going into the game mechanics, I do not even know where to begin. Ill let the professionals do that, though I think someone is falling short.

I would like to point out though, If i remember correctly Milanos that you were one of the driving factors in having the championship round. The idea is an honorable one and would be fun if you had alliances that were actually competing as a champion. Your alliance is filled with good players (noticed i said good and not great :P) Nah, I've played with them, they are the best that BD has to offer. But this coalition thing, friends, family, subs whatever you want to call them causes a major problem and I see you recognize that. This is actually worse than subs because your taking away the other best players that BD has to offer which means less competition. So championship round? meh

Everyone is either friends with someone else or wants to be friends. As a human beings we have a higher affinity in maintaining our friendships than beating each other in a game. Maybe its not the game, maybe its this communication tech wave, social media euphoria world we now live in. Anyway, I don't know where I am going with this. These pain meds sure keep me loopy.

Ofcourse, I like to give a big ups to the guy who mentioned AI. Those guys were sure awesome xD

Congrats for good intentions and you guys still played a great round. And anything I say is not to be taking away from the game. Maybe that's why I (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..) so much, I remember how much fun this game can be. I have enjoyed BD for many years, I have gotten my moneys worth out it regardless. Even though like Ken used to say, I'm paying Michael's yacht payment. hehe

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 am 
Private
Private

as for the the point of what war was best to watch, I would also say CBoP vs VND. GML and SAGE Died too quickly. Sure, SAGE is still alive, but has made MANY mistakes. CBoP were amazingly active, and gave VND their only real fight of the era. Watching (and participating) in the dance with CBoP was great fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

were you in any of those battles?

Oh you did say participating but didn't mention your alliance, think.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am 
Private
Private

aazaadx wrote:
were you in any of those battles?

Oh you did say participating but didn't mention your alliance, think.

I was in VND for a time, but had to leave due to some family issues that came up, and was in a few battles with CBoP while in VND.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next