It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No vulgar, or inappropriate material.

Always respect others, especially moderators or administrators!

No advertisements.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 8th Grade LA Research Project
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:15 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

(MY NAME NOT IMPORTANT)
(TEACHER NAME NOT IMPORTANT)
English Language Arts
May 29, 2014
Finland
Have you ever heard of the most northern country in Europe? One of the world`s most successful countries, Finland has had many influences on it`s past and present states from it`s climate and geography, foreign rule, and modern independence.
Due to Finland being so north on the globe it has a very different climate than most other places in Europe. The longest season in Finland is winter, which lasts from 105 to 120 days a year, in the south. Precipitation in the south usually reaches 700 to 800 millimeters a year, which is mostly rain. The country is mostly made up of forests (2/3) and inland bodies of water (1/10). Finland is surrounded by Norway to the north, Russia to the east, and Denmark to the south, and Sweden to the west. The warmest months in Finland are July and August, while the coldest months are January and February. Finland`s climate and geography have been a very important influence on it`s national status.
Since 1155 Finland has had either it`s own government or been under foreign rule. King Erik of Sweden led a series of catholic crusades to Finland in 1155; this led to Swedish rule in Finland for more than 600 years. In the early 1800`s, during the Napoleonic wars, Russia captured Finland easily because of the poorly organized Swedish defenses. At the beginning of Russian rule the Finns had a lot of freedom but by the late 1800`s when independence ideas began spreading, the Russians took away self-rule and freedom of speech in Finland. In the 1930`s Finland gained it`s independence, in 1995 it joined the European Union, and in 1999 it adapted the Euro (European currency). Finland`s past rule has majorly impacted it`s current culture and the ethnicity of it`s inhabitants.
Because of Finland`s current independence and it`s recent modernization it has been one of the most advancing countries in Finland in the past years. Famous people of Finnish origin include Alvar Aalto and Jean Sibelius. Alvar Aalto is a famous architect who`s building style can be found all over Finland in some of the most important buildings in the country. Jean Sibelius is an extremely well known composer who has been labeled as one of the best musical composers ever. Successful companies in Finland include Linux and Nokia. The capital of Finland is Helsinki and other major cities include Tampere, Turku, and Oulu. Finland has a population of 5.4 million people, more than 1.1 million Finnish citizens live in the capital. Life expectancy for people in Finland is 83 for females and 77 for males. The independence and modernization of Finland`s people and government make it a very successful nation in Europe.
Overall Finland has had many influences on it`s past and present states from it`s climate and geography, foreign rule, and modern independence. The climate and geography of Finland make it very cold with neighboring countries both in Europe and in Asia. The foreign rule of Finland in it`s past have many influences on it`s current relations with other countries and the ethnicity of it`s present inhabitants. The modernization and independence of Finland has happened because of all the hard work it`s first settlers have done to make the country successful. Today Finland is one of the world`s most accomplished nations because of it`s inhabitants which have conserved it`s past and will insure a prosperous future for the nation.
-This is my semester exam research paper for Language Arts
Hope you enjoy

Works Cited
"Finland Country Profile BBC Europe." 5 May 2014. Web. 21 May 2014.
"Finland Country Report Library of Congress." 27 July 2010. Web. 21 May 2014.
"Finland." Kwintessential. Web. 15 May 2014.
"Finland." OECD Better Life Index. Web. 12 May 2014.
Hutchison, Linda. Finland. San Diego, CA: Lucent, 2004. Print.
McNair, Sylvia. Finland. New York: Children's, 1997. Print.

PS no finns were hurt in the making of this (although some deserve to)

Post subject: Re: 8th Grade LA Research Project
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:35 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Because of Finland`s current independence and it`s recent modernization it has been one of the most advancing countries in Finland in the past years.

mistakes spotted

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:44 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Out of all places why Finland :roll:
I already know but I just want to see your responce

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I read it all.

You constantly made the mistake of using the contraction "it's", meaning "it is", instead of the possessive pronoun "its", meaning belonging to.

"Most northern" should be changed to "northernmost".

Don't editorialize. By claiming a country is "successful", you're making an assertion you're incapable of proving. You claim Finland is a successful nation a number of times without giving a reason why.

This sentence...

"Finland has had many influences on it`s past and present states"

...doesn't make any sense. Finland influences itself? What states are you referring to?

"Finland`s climate and geography have been a very important influence on it`s national status."

Have had a very important influence. Something has influence, it doesn't be influence.

"Russia captured Finland easily".

How do you know it was easy?

"At the beginning of Russian rule the Finns had a lot of freedom but by the late 1800`s when independence ideas began spreading".

Try to avoid run-on sentences, or at least put a couple of commas in there. You stop to breathe when you talk, right? Think about when you pause for breath during speech and place your punctuation appropriately.

" in 1999 it adapted the Euro"

Adopted the Euro.

" famous architect who`s building style"

Similar to your earlier mistakes. Whose, not who's.

"Overall Finland has had many influences on it`s past and present states from it`s climate and geography"

You said the exact same thing at the start of your paper. Don't repeat yourself.

Sorry for picking apart your paper, Giga, but I hope you can use some of my editorial advice to get a better grade.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Soulja why did i choose Finland out of all places? I guess you won`t know so stop acting like a know it all cuz u`r not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

cuz u're a suomilainen?

(did I get it correct?)

(Mina en puhu suomea?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:28 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

GigaLava wrote:
Soulja why did i choose Finland out of all places? I guess you won`t know so stop acting like a know it all cuz u`r not.

I never said I was a "Know It All"
I wanted to see your response to confirm my guess as to why Finland

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]