It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic.

Please respect other community members moderators and administrators.

No spam.

Post subject: The First Turn / Choose Distance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 am 
Private
Private

Hello everyone.

I want to make a suggestion on the first turn mechanic and consider especially the higher levels 45-60. I haven't player the lower levels in a while, so please correct me, if the suggested changes are problematic there.

At high levels, it happens to me very often, that I spawn in the optimal range for the other players strongest weapons. Furthermore, the other player often gets the first turn, leaving me with about -294hp before my turn (Combination of "Chief" and MG at lvl 50). Considering a mech with 400-600hp at this lvl, this can be problematic, as it forces kit usage or repositioning in my turn, which effectively costs me one action point.
I don't see an "imbalance" on the stats of the mechs or weapons, which are extraordinarily well balanced in my opinion. I see the problem in the randomness of the positioning.

My suggestion is therefore, to allow the player who starts second, to choose the distance both mechs have at the beginning (Compare a soccer match for instance) Both mechs are placed centered in the arena. The size of the arena is suited dependend on the choice made.

This would allow more interesting matchups in my opinion, as the starting player has to correct its position on the battlefield while still given the first two actions.
The second player also gets to influence the startup of the match and is not left unprotected to the random will of the positioning god, which can place him in blaster heaven or hell.

I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Hossman

Post subject: Re: The First Turn / Choose Distance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:44 am 
SM Maintenance Team
SM Maintenance Team

I have also thought about this option.
Every player can choonse between 2 fields in the beginning.
With the precondition that you always have at least one field in between
you can chose if you want to be closer to your enemy or not.
However this would require some kind of "position" turn which can be executed in parallel and also has 20 seconds. If somebody doesnt choose the start position is random.

Post subject: Re: The First Turn / Choose Distance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 am 
Private
Private

I would suggest to give the choice only to the player starting second with his/her turn. Letting both players choose (lets say with a timer) in parallel will cause a dare, as noone will want to pick first.

The second player only chooses the separation distances between both mechs, not the individual position of each mech. I suggest a minimum separation of 1 field and a maximum of 4 fields. The player should have 10s time, otherwise the separation will be random.
Both players are then positioned symmetrically around the middle of the map.

The first players advantage of starting first with two actions will still overcompensate the positioning of the second player in my opinion.
The player can use a point to reposition in its favor (teleport/move/jump), reposition the opponent (hook, charge, knockback weapons), attack with weapons working over the given distance or toughen his/her defences with shields and prepare for a long fight with drones.

Hossman

PS: And please make all maps, at least after a certain player level, larger than 8 fields. I have experienced it very often, that players relying on heavy weapons at close range can't be beaten, as you cannot outrange them.
Why should I buy Rockets or Artillery with range 5-9, when the opponent can reach me anytime with a mediocre laser at range 5-6.