It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic.

Please respect other community members moderators and administrators.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

A suggested change to the SM ranking system
Yes 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Tweak 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
I don't understand :S 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: New ELO system
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I quite like the current scoring system right now, however I feel it's missing things. Just like before, it's still a system that favours those that play more. On top of this it also rewards physical builds as their fights are quicker than others so allows them to win more battles at a quicker rate. So I've created a little something to focus on the two flaws that I think would help balance the scoring of the game to make it fair for more.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE FORMULA!!
This only covers the general idea of what I'd like to see. I'll be working on a complete formula, but I'd ideally like to know what you guys would think about it and if it would really be worth it (although I'll end up doing it anyway).

The formula above is what I propose. Detailed explanation with examples of it working are shown below:

Spoiler:

There are 3 stages in this formula.

To begin with you've got the K*S-(1/10^((-d/f)+1)). This is the basis behind the ELO scoring system. I've written quite a bit of detail in to this one on the spreadsheet, as this would be tweaked the most in order to balance out points received after each win or loss.

Next you have the 250/100+x. This part of the formula reduces the amount of points earned slightly after each battle you fight. For those with 800 wins, it will start to reduce the score gained quite a bit. Gives those with the better build more of a chance of reaching the top spot, even if they aren't the most active players.

The last part to the equation is 0.16*N. This part determines how much score you gain depending on how long the match is. At 6 turns (3 for you, 3 for your opponent) you will end up with a multiple of 1 to your score. However if you have someone quit on you in the first turn it will reduce your score gain. On top of this, if you find yourself in a long battle as this suits your mechs play style more, you won't be penalized like you currently are. This I think is the most important part that needs to be changed, which is the main reason I attempted to create the formula. Balancing this with the loss of points after each battle (previous step) would be absolutely necessary, as it could turn out that extended games actually prove to be a better way to gain ELO score. A balance would need to be made so the it doesn't give this advantage.

Of course this can easily be tweaked/changed to suite the game more as I can't say I'm an expert at this. However with some testing I've found this example to be successful.

Spoiler:
Side Note
As this now implements an elo system instead of a star system for players lower than rank 1, I have a suggestion for this. Make a bar, similar to the EXP bar, that fills as you gain your ELO and depletes as you lose your ELO. For example a rank 14 with an ELO score of 1249 would have a bar 50% complete ~(49/99)*100. As a player passes 100% they will rank up.

For the rank 1 players, you still have the option to hide your elo. However I'm against hiding it, as knowing what the players in front of you have allows you to set goals and understand how far behind/ahead you are. It only pushes you to play the game more.

If you understand this, any feedback would be appreciated! :) If you've got questions go ahead and ask away.

Updated
Spoiler:

Less of an impact for ELO loss for the lower levels. Can be stretched across more if necessary.

Update two
If necessary add winstreak reward.
2 win streak (x1.2)
3-4 win streak (x1.4)
5-9 win streak (x1.6)
10-19 win streak (x1.8)
20+ win streak (x2)

Update three
Took a look into the earned per battle and battle duration and how they work as a multiplier together. They start off fairly even, however after a while it starts to benefit the mech that fights the quickest. Will look in to it and rewrite this part of the formula (tomorrow, once I've had some sleep...Knew creating an elo system in 10 minutes wasn't the best idea) xD

Will also look in to the effects of a win streak multiplier for mechs that fight for a longer or shorter duration. Will perfect this formula!! :D

Post subject: Re: New ELO system
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I assume this resets every week so that it's not a cumulative leaderboard (like chess). If so I'm 110% behind it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

jtothepowerof8 wrote:
I assume this resets every week so that it's not a cumulative leaderboard (like chess). If so I'm 110% behind it.

I'd like it to reset, however not place everyone at the same rank. Instead reset you to your current ranks lowest ELO. Else it would be a waste of games for players having to grind back up to the top ranks and receiving less ELO score when they reach there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:55 pm 
Captain
Captain
 WWW  Profile

Andy, im a freshman in highschool. Im taking Algebra 1, i, i, i can't understand this at first glance. Im short on time so i can't read this. But from first glance your massive use of variables just completely overwhelmed me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]