It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic.

Respect other community members and moderators/administrators.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Explaining matchmaking level (from my poiny of view)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

So a lot of you are complaining about matchmaking level and how it is unfair. I want to explain how it isn't unfair and how it still hasn't been perfected, however much it has helped the game.

Players complaining about fighting mechs much higher than their level already dominate at their level. It's VERY clear you should be pushing yourself to fight at a more competative level, instead of bashing noobs. There is no skill in doing so, you are not a "pro" player because your ability to kill fresh players mechs gets you a high win streak/point score.

With the current system, once you start collecting a high ammount of points, you start facing players at a higher level than you. A lot of you complain about this, which is rather selfish. You find it okay to kill the less experienced players at your own level, yet when your skill is pushed to the limits by expanding the level range you fight at, all you can do is complain. Imagine how all the less experienced players feel when they're faced against you and instantly know they're going to lose. It's not fair to them, more than it's not fair that you're finally getting some competition by being faced against higher levels than your mech level.

If you wish to stop fighting higher mech levels than your own, start fighting at level 30. Here is where the true competition should be. I know I'm hypacritical here, because I've wanted to face level 30 for a long and i'm unable to, but i will happily admit to be a noob player when it comes to fighting at level 30. I get no great satisfaction from dominating at the level I fight at, the only reason I fight at the level I do is in the hope that I collect enough SM for item boxes to compete at level 30.

Still, however those fighting at lower levels manage to get enough points to place themselves top of the weekly tournament. I have great respect for these guys, as they are able to fight at levels much higher than their own and are still able to keep their wins up to recieve points. This enough is proof that players at lower levels are able to compete with their mechs at a higher level and there are players willing to give it a go.

For the flaws, as much as I have respect for the players mentioned above, I believe their abilities should be pushed to the extent where they can no longer compete at their level. While they can dominate noobs at their level, a truely experienced player should be looking to dominate level 30 and I believe the current system should push you more to do that.
Another flaw I have found, is players who collect up a win streak slowly (as not to reach +2000 points) can carry on dominating at their level because they will never reach the point where they are faced with mechs too high for their level. While this is slow going, it's fairly easy for a strong mech to collect a large winning streak fighting this way. Players may see this as being a good thing, and it shouldn't be seen that way.

I know this is long winded, but I have tried to cover as much as I can as to explain how the current system is actually very good for the game. If you choose to disagree, then please state why. I will most likely choose to argue against it as I do heavily favour the current system, for the progression of the game, however if there is a major flaw in the system that I seem to have missed out I will happily agree to it.

~Andy

Post subject: Re: Explaining matchmaking level (from my poiny of view)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

DanteTwo wrote:
u just like to debate. You are still not seeing what we are all saying. Get the blinders off.

i think it is u who are, sorry, stubborn and ignored everything he said.

he read all ur posts, and disagreed with that. he said that he disagreed and posted a long and detailed explanations as to why he disagreed. while u can only disagree, yet give no real reason why u did.

U can say that it's a debate, but the fact is that when two ppl disagree with each other, they either debate, or ignore others. And it seems while he chose the first option, u picked the second. That's ok too, but if u're going to ignore everything we said, don't complain when we do the same.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49 pm 
Major
Major

DanteTwo wrote:
u just like to debate. You are still not seeing what we are all saying. Get the blinders off.

If anything I'd say I'm the one more prone to debate than Andy. I could go on to list the issues I see with your comment but I believe Aister has summed it up rather well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:51 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Andy wrote:
So a lot of you are complaining about matchmaking level and how it is unfair. I want to explain how it isn't unfair and how it still hasn't been perfected, however much it has helped the game.

Players complaining about fighting mechs much higher than their level already dominate at their level. It's VERY clear you should be pushing yourself to fight at a more competative level, instead of bashing noobs. There is no skill in doing so, you are not a "pro" player because your ability to kill fresh players mechs gets you a high win streak/point score.

With the current system, once you start collecting a high ammount of points, you start facing players at a higher level than you. A lot of you complain about this, which is rather selfish. You find it okay to kill the less experienced players at your own level, yet when your skill is pushed to the limits by expanding the level range you fight at, all you can do is complain. Imagine how all the less experienced players feel when they're faced against you and instantly know they're going to lose. It's not fair to them, more than it's not fair that you're finally getting some competition by being faced against higher levels than your mech level.

If you wish to stop fighting higher mech levels than your own, start fighting at level 30. Here is where the true competition should be. I know I'm hypacritical here, because I've wanted to face level 30 for a long and i'm unable to, but i will happily admit to be a noob player when it comes to fighting at level 30. I get no great satisfaction from dominating at the level I fight at, the only reason I fight at the level I do is in the hope that I collect enough SM for item boxes to compete at level 30.

Still, however those fighting at lower levels manage to get enough points to place themselves top of the weekly tournament. I have great respect for these guys, as they are able to fight at levels much higher than their own and are still able to keep their wins up to recieve points. This enough is proof that players at lower levels are able to compete with their mechs at a higher level and there are players willing to give it a go.

For the flaws, as much as I have respect for the players mentioned above, I believe their abilities should be pushed to the extent where they can no longer compete at their level. While they can dominate noobs at their level, a truely experienced player should be looking to dominate level 30 and I believe the current system should push you more to do that.
Another flaw I have found, is players who collect up a win streak slowly (as not to reach +2000 points) can carry on dominating at their level because they will never reach the point where they are faced with mechs too high for their level. While this is slow going, it's fairly easy for a strong mech to collect a large winning streak fighting this way. Players may see this as being a good thing, and it shouldn't be seen that way.

I know this is long winded, but I have tried to cover as much as I can as to explain how the current system is actually very good for the game. If you choose to disagree, then please state why. I will most likely choose to argue against it as I do heavily favour the current system, for the progression of the game, however if there is a major flaw in the system that I seem to have missed out I will happily agree to it.

~Andy

I agree with general established direction, however not with the current implementation. As I have commented in another thread the match making should not be based on purely mech. equipment levels and/or ladder points. It should take into account other aspects such as damage that can be dealt in a turn (including drone damage), heat/energy capacities, HP, resistance drainers (where applicable), resistance modules, etc in the formula that determines which 2 mechs. should be matched up. The trick is to make it fair for all players - new as well as established.

The current system is flawed in that newer players are mismatched by having equal mech. level equipment, but not as powerful as perhaps the equipment of a more established player.

The other contention point is that as you gather more ladder points, the matchmaking level difference grows which in some cases could be overcome, except when you face the currently highest level mechs. (30) since they have resistance drainers which are not available at any other level and this enormously skews the odds in their favor, not to mention the already inherent weapon, heat, energy and HP differences. The point here is that you are trying not to give a free lunch (so to speak) to a successful player (in terms of a winning streak/ladder points), but are instead giving it to a less-successful player at a much higher level.

The next issue exists at level 30 and it has mainly to do with how many action points are awarded at the 1st turn of the match and which player begins the match first. Giving 2 action points to similarly equipped mechs. would most certainly result in the player that started second losing the match. Here I propose to always begin the match with 1 action point and/or limit the 1st turn to being able to deploy drone and/or shield, but not strike (for similarly matched opponents). Also, the starting match contention point could be alleviated if the starting player is determined via a coin toss (for similarly matched opponents). For mismatched opponents (based on mech. characteristics) could continue to get the current benefit of starting first and with 1/2 action points.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Niko1313 wrote:
Andy wrote:

~Andy

I agree with general established direction, however not with the current implementation. As I have commented in another thread the match making should not be based on purely mech. equipment levels and/or ladder points. It should take into account other aspects such as damage that can be dealt in a turn (including drone damage), heat/energy capacities, HP, resistance drainers (where applicable), resistance modules, etc in the formula that determines which 2 mechs. should be matched up. The trick is to make it fair for all players - new as well as established.

The current system is flawed in that newer players are mismatched by having equal mech. level equipment, but not as powerful as perhaps the equipment of a more established player.

The other contention point is that as you gather more ladder points, the matchmaking level difference grows which in some cases could be overcome, except when you face the currently highest level mechs. (30) since they have resistance drainers which are not available at any other level and this enormously skews the odds in their favor, not to mention the already inherent weapon, heat, energy and HP differences. The point here is that you are trying not to give a free lunch (so to speak) to a successful player (in terms of a winning streak/ladder points), but are instead giving it to a less-successful player at a much higher level.

The next issue exists at level 30 and it has mainly to do with how many action points are awarded at the 1st turn of the match and which player begins the match first. Giving 2 action points to similarly equipped mechs. would most certainly result in the player that started second losing the match. Here I propose to always begin the match with 1 action point and/or limit the 1st turn to being able to deploy drone and/or shield, but not strike (for similarly matched opponents). Also, the starting match contention point could be alleviated if the starting player is determined via a coin toss (for similarly matched opponents). For mismatched opponents (based on mech. characteristics) could continue to get the current benefit of starting first and with 1/2 action points.

I have to agree with all the above . I am a level 25 [but i have played at level 30 with a previous account], and i am currently fighting with a level 23 Mech. I plan to stay at 23 until i reach and acquire the gear to compete at level 30. I have to say that when i am matched up with a higher level player, i enjoy the challenge. I have a competitive spirit as a person and if i was to dominate and always win, i would actually get bored and quit. If I am defeated, i can learn where my weakness lies and even tweak my mech to do better next time against that level of a player. i actually look forward to getting to level 30 and being competitive at that level myself.

also owner of M-1 Zeus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:03 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So let me get this straight this is from your `point` of view haha :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]