It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic.

Respect other community members and moderators/administrators.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bigdaddy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Just saying 'hi' and what a great game this is!

My account in game is Bigdaddy, and I am fighting around the 22/23 level.

My question; should I stick at this level, as the graph seems to show very little players at higher levels? Whats the next 'sweet spot'?

I was caught out when playing at lvl 15 for flipmix (?) and got to lvl 21 and found my minimum level for ranking was 20 - my kit was sweet at 15, but reall bad for starting a search at 20! Had to hack through single player for funds...

Finally, does ranking change with just online games, or do vs computer games count?
I had 53 games streak for my first 53 games, but my losses kept changing, so I wondered if it included single player games?

well, 'hi' and thanks for any responses.
Bigdaddy

EDIT to add

At what level does flipmix become obsolete? I just got lvl 30, and yellow snow and spray can look good... despite not being 'rare' while cylon looks tempting too - whats the conventional wisdom about the best drone to replace flipmix?

I realize this ties in to the question about the next sweet spot, as it depends on if I should I hold on until a higher level....
I have a lvl 27 build to play vs computer, with the artilery 1 top weapn (on my lvl 22 Lucifer body) - I am guessing while this is not a great body for PvP at lvl 27 it holds its own (just).

Post subject: Re: Bigdaddy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

Hey, welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest you to build several mechs on different levels, while keeping your low lvl mech.
(You can see my builds/mechs from HERE.)

The reason why your lowest matchmaking starts at lvl20 after you've reached your player lvl to 21 is to protect starting players from high lvl pro players.
Do note that matchmaking is depending on your mech lvl, not on your player lvl. That also explains why high lvl players are able to use low lvl mechs to battle at lvl ranges of 20-40.
And your mech lvl is depending on the highest item's lvl that is equipped to your mech (including kits).

The next "sweet spot" after lvl22-lvl23 would be lvl30-lvl35 since at that range there are also many players online (not always but quite often).
Though, Lucifer can be used quite effectively in ranges of 22-27. After lvl27, new and better torso is needed.

Upgrade of the Flipmix depends on your next build/mech. My lvl20 mech also uses Flipmix but my lvl33 mech uses Spray Can. Jim Beam and Cylon are also used much but i personally don't like the disadvantages they have.

Single player matches doesn't affect your ranking. Though, do note that ranking is bugged and it may not display correct values.

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply Aeacus.

So I get the idea of protecting the lower level players from the pro's, its a good system - can I take it from that, that there are no other bands? a level 100 player can still compete at level 20 as long as he uses only level 20 gear?

Currently I am level 31, so soon I'll be able to start on my lvl 33 build :)
Also around position 30 on the leader boards :)

What are the weaknesses of the Jim Beam and Cylon? cost per shot to use?
I am seriously considering the spray can or yellow snow - 10 to 60 for just 3 heat looks great. I am guessing the disadvantage is that shields reduce a percentage of MAX damage, so cause far more reduction on 10-60 (yellow snow) than they do on 34-43 (spray can)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

BigDaddy22 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Aeacus.

No problem, glad to help out.

BigDaddy22 wrote:
So I get the idea of protecting the lower level players from the pro's, its a good system - can I take it from that, that there are no other bands? a level 100 player can still compete at level 20 as long as he uses only level 20 gear?

Yes, lvl100 player can battle with lvl20 mech at lvl20 range.
Max matchmaking level range is +/- 4 lvls from your mech level (e.g. if your mech is lvl33, you can expect opponents appear from lvl29 to lvl37).

BigDaddy22 wrote:
Currently I am level 31, so soon I'll be able to start on my lvl 33 build :)
Also around position 30 on the leader boards :)

It's not hard to climb up the ranking list. If you never quit the battle then you'll be in top100 in no time. (Rember, quitting the battle will reduce your ranking and quite a lot.)
Btw, i'm at 21th position.

BigDaddy22 wrote:
What are the weaknesses of the Jim Beam and Cylon? cost per shot to use?
I am seriously considering the spray can or yellow snow - 10 to 60 for just 3 heat looks great. I am guessing the disadvantage is that shields reduce a percentage of MAX damage, so cause far more reduction on 10-60 (yellow snow) than they do on 34-43 (spray can)?

Cylon uses bullets to fire (5 bullets per shot), once you ran out of bullets, your drone won't fire. You either need to spare 1 kit slot for bullet kit and also spend 1 action point to use your kit or you need to spend 1 module slot for bullets storage if you wish that your Cylon drone has more than 7 shots per battle.
Most regular torsos between lvl27-33 have up to 25 bullets stored in torso (that means 5 shots for Cylon, providing that you don't use a weapon that also uses bullets). Though, by default Gladiator has 30 bullets and Shielded has 35 bullets (that means 6-7 shots per battle).

And as Jim Beam goes, it isn't cost effective. Using 15 energy do deal only 10 energy damage (besides the default damage) is inefficient. Also, it's average damage (30) is somewhat low when comparing it to Yellow Snow or Spray Can.
Oh, my mechs are built up so that they deliver heat damage. Without energy, mech can't use it's teleport, hook, energy based weapons/drones and energy shield is also deactivated. But opponent will regain some of it's energy after their turn ends.
Heat in the other hand has much nicer effect, when mech is overheated, opponent automatically looses 1 action point to cool itself down and sometimes even 2 action points if heat is way high and cooldown value is low (this means opponent skips it's entire turn and his drone won't fire either).

Even though Yellow Snow may do more damage than Spray Can, i prefer weapons/drones who's damage range is as small as possible.
Yellow Snow's average damage is 35, while Spray Can's average damage is 38-39. Also, if you're unlucky, your Yellow Snow may do only 10-15 damage several turns in a row (and if your opponent has +10 resistance then you'll only do 1-5 damage). Oh, Yellow Snow won't do any additional damage as Jim Beam or Spray Can does.

Spray Can in the other hand is cost effective, it uses only 8 heat to deliver 12 heat to your opponent (besides the default damage it does).

And about shields, they reduce a percentage of dealt damage, not the percentage of weapon's max damage.

But it all depends on your strategy and build. My strategy is built up around heat damage, that's why i find Spray Can the most effective. Though, there are some nice builds with Jim Beam and Cylon out there.

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I misunderstood the information on shields, thanks for clearing that for me.
I wrongly thought it reduced by a given percentage of the maximum possible weapon damage, (for a weapon doing 10 to 60, shield reduces by 20% of 60), but now I get it - the shield reduces the actual damage done by its percent. If rolling '50' out of 10 to 60, shield 1 reduces by 20% of 50.

Bearing this in mind, I just shifted my build for my Lucifer from modules from 'all resists +7' and two armours (+120 hit points) to three individual resistance cards giving me +13 on each resist.

If I understand correctly, with an energy shield 1 (thats 20% for shield) then if I get hit for say 50 damage I actually take
50 x 0.8 (for shield) = 40 damage, reduced by 13 for resists meaning I actually lose 40-13 = 27 hit points.
A hit which 'rolled' 50 damage actuall does 27, in this case.

So, I lost 120 HP, but take 6 points less damage per hit taken by increasing resists from 6 to 13.
I 'break even' after taking 20 hits, which is good in longer battles.
I also 'gain' more benifit from a health kit, as it takes longer for the enemy to reduce my health gained from the kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

BigDaddy22 wrote:
If I understand correctly, with an energy shield 1 (thats 20% for shield) then if I get hit for say 50 damage I actually take
50 x 0.8 (for shield) = 40 damage, reduced by 13 for resists meaning I actually lose 40-13 = 27 hit points.
A hit which 'rolled' 50 damage actuall does 27, in this case.

Yes, you're correct.

Do note that shields do get better after 10 lvls (e.g. Shield 1 at lvl10, Shield 2 at lvl20, Shield 3 at lvl30 and so on).

Even though Shield 1 seems to be most cost effective (energy shield blocks 2 points of damage at the cost of 1 energy and heat shields block 3 points of damage at the cost of 1 heat, both blocking 20% of damage) better shields do offer better protection.

For example, my lvl33 mech uses Energy Shield 3 (blocking 40% of damage at the cost of 1 damage for 1 energy). And since i use only heat or physical weapons, i have almost no items that are using energy (except teleport and hook), so, it's quite hard to deplete my energy thus deactivating my shield. Also, my mech gains energy at the end of each of my turn (having 1 energy module also helps alot, i have increased energy capacity and regeneration).

In higher lvls, using energy and heat modules will be more efficient than using armor plating. Since when you have low energy and heat capacity with low regeneration and cooldown values, it's quite easy for your opponent to deplete your energy (thus deactivating your energy shield) and/or force you into heat lockdown (especially when you use heat shield).

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the analysis Aeacus.

At lvl 23 I tend to use the energy shield 1, as I dont have any energy packs (currently 3 modules, all on resists) and using shield 2 I find enemies can deplete my energy. I have a balance of bullet, rocket, heat and energy weapons. I view energy weapons as 'free' and use them if given a choice, in that energy regenerates like a renewable resource.
I tend to rely on pumping out maximum damage while being heavily resistant to damage.

I am just planning out my 33-35 build, and I was thinking to go full resists (3 module slots) and heat/energy for the rest.
I had intended to pump up energy and use energy weapons as well as energy shield, since its a renewable resource. In that case, I'd have two energy or an energy and heat/energy module. But my concern is depleting the energy reserves. (Need 6 module slots...)
But I may reconsider and go for what I assume is a more conventional heat build, using energy only for shield (and specials)as you describe.

I guess I am a geek, as I find the strategy options fascinating, and play around with options for hours :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:18 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, Energy Shield 2 needs atleast 1 Energy Module in order to protect you well.

Building your mech all starts with proper torso.
At your preferred range (lvl33-35), the Shielded torso is the best (i too use this torso on my lvl33 mech).
If you're interested, my lvl33 mech did cost about 780K in total (it has 5 rare items).

But if you need 6 module slots then the Roman is the choise (lvl34), it's also much cheaper than Shielded but it doesn't have any bullets and rockets in it by default, it's regeneration and cooldown values are also somewhat low and you can't equip any top weapons on it (though, you can have 4 side weapons).

But you can test out different builds if you have time to collect all the money needed to build them.

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:41 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have been saving and saving, and today I bought the shielded torso, phew!

It was sweet because the win which got me the money to buy it was against kuek Eu Ea who's ranked number 20 in the game. It was fitting to achieve the goal (shielded) with such a prestigious win (by my standards anyway its an achievement)

</flex>

I drew him again a little later, and he got revenge to put an end to my winning streak.
Now I am saving again to get weapons and modules and so on for the 33 build. Legs first I think, the lvl 33 rare legs will fit nice :)

I was considering Roman, for the modules, but I decided against it, as I'd only get 4 weapons which clinched it - Shieled for the win!

A couple of noobie questions, if you dont mind;
How do I add friends without the ID number (or can it be done)?
Is there a list of the 'ranking symbols' I mean these things by the name
Edit image removed for now

Last edited by BigDaddy22 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

When to think about it, Roman would be quite good, but since i already have lvl33 mech, i won't going to build lvl34 mech. (Probably in far future but not right now atleast.)

BigDaddy22 wrote:
How do I add friends without the ID number (or can it be done)?

The only way to add friends without knowing their ingame ID is via rankings list. Just click on their name to see their current build, a button of "add friend" and a button of "load replays". Though, you aren't able to see the full rankings list but only those who are close to your ranking. And as far as i know, there's no option to add friends during a battle.

BigDaddy22 wrote:
Is there a list of the 'ranking symbols' I mean these things by the name

Well, devs sure have that list but is it officially published? Not that i know of.
Though, HERE's a topic that answers your question.

About rankings list, since it's bugged like hell you won't see me at 21th position when i'm offline. I (like several others here) have to do atleast 1 PvP battle before game updates the ranking and puts players back to the position where they belong.

Edit: Oh, how about resizing your image? Right now, it stretches the topic way too wide.
For image uploads, you could use the same site as i do: http://postimage.org
After upload, pick any of the two Hotlink for Forums from the box below. This way you'll get a nice thumbnail in the topic that leads to your full sized image when clicked upon.

--
Aeacus

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next