Imho the swords are a difficult topic and I am not sure yet, if I do or do not like them. Some prove to be a nice addition to the game, while others break it to a point, where I do not like to compete against the mech with the sword
I am especially talking about high level games 55+, but I think it scales to the lower levels as well.
My problem is with the swords without knockback, especially the energy draining ones. Lets get into detail:
Due to the improved damage of teleport and hook, combined with their high heat generation or energy drain, the argument of spending (wasting) an action point to close the distance does not hold anymore. The damage dealt is about equal to a stomp. Then the sword hits, dealing about twice to triple the damage of a regular arm weapon and also draining high amounts of energy or heating me up up even more.
In the opponents next turn, he can use the sword again as its cost are very low, if I don't act.
So what can I do in my turn?
- Teleport away, if I have any energy left => Opponent takes no damage or energy drain. I effectively wasted a point, while the opponent does his combination his next turn.
- Walk or jump away => Same as above
- Push the opponent away => With what? There is no short range weapon with more damage than stomp and knockback. So stomp, but that won't stop the opponent from doing his combination the next turn as it does not heat him up or drain his energy.
- That leaves only one option => I have to kick his ass in short range before he kicks mine. This can only be done with bullet type MGs or swords. The winner is the one with more stamina.
So is this really the only option? I have to completely adapt my mech to a short range shoot out? High HP, MG's, Swords? The opponent does the same, so where is the diversity, the counter?
My suggestions for the swords (maybe not all at the same time):
- Further increase their cost, so that one can prevent an sword attack in advance by draining energy or heating the mech up.
- Add knockback to all swords or decrease their damage/drawbacks.
- Maybe have them occupy two arm slots on one side. This would also prevent the crappy look with overlapping weapons and prevent hiding guns underneath.
- Add close range knockback weapons, which surpass stomp in damage output.
What's your opinion?