It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic.

Respect other community members and moderators/administrators.

No spam.

Post subject: melee weapons
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

hey, what do you think about melee weapons? those sword types. they are cool or what? you can make your mech look like a samurai :D, also they are devastatimg :D

Post subject: Re: melee weapons
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 am 
SM Maintenance Team
SM Maintenance Team

Do you think they are too powerful?
I made them pretty powerfull because most of the time you have to waste an action point to get close which will reduce the overall damage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

no, the weap are perfect, just complimenting the idea :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 pm 
Private
Private

I think the balance is about right, but it makes other short range weapons underpowered, maybe they could get a bit more heat or something, they look cool, especially in the victory dance and bring a new element to the game.

However practically all of them are tokens only, which seems unfair on free players. I understand this needs to be funded but missing out out on a major section of weaponary because you can't afford or are unwilling to pay is likely to just make free players annoyed and likely to stop playing, which seems counter productive because what would really make this more fun is more players. It must be very difficult deciding what to charge for and what you can offer to paying players while attracting free players to the game, the premium account is great because it allows one to progress at a faster rate rather than giving a direct advantage at any given level. A way to earn tokens through achievments would be fantastic even it it was a slow process. Something like an improved interface for premium players would be more likely to tempt me to open my wallet though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I think they are too strong.
(Very)High damage in combination with energydrain/heatgeneration is not so good. other weapons with similar effects(flame thrower, cooker, shieldbreaker...) have limited amount of shoots and aren't that overweight.

The small range for me doesn't count because you have enough possibility to get close (teleport, charge, hook -> in higher levels multi use).
And like DrFabulous0 said "it makes other short range weapons underpowered"
I totally agree.
(Of course, they have to be a little stronger, otherwise there is no reason to pay, but if they are to strong "non paying players" have no reason to play. They will always be disadvantaged)

And by the way: they don't look like swords or blades, more like a club.

A grotesque scenario: A trillion dollar highend mech with laser weapons and shield is beaten by a lower level one with a club :P

But: The idea is fantastic. After rebalancing it would be a great additional elemet for the game. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Private
Private

Hello everyone

Imho the swords are a difficult topic and I am not sure yet, if I do or do not like them. Some prove to be a nice addition to the game, while others break it to a point, where I do not like to compete against the mech with the sword :!:

I am especially talking about high level games 55+, but I think it scales to the lower levels as well.
My problem is with the swords without knockback, especially the energy draining ones. Lets get into detail:

Due to the improved damage of teleport and hook, combined with their high heat generation or energy drain, the argument of spending (wasting) an action point to close the distance does not hold anymore. The damage dealt is about equal to a stomp. Then the sword hits, dealing about twice to triple the damage of a regular arm weapon and also draining high amounts of energy or heating me up up even more.
In the opponents next turn, he can use the sword again as its cost are very low, if I don't act.

So what can I do in my turn?
- Teleport away, if I have any energy left => Opponent takes no damage or energy drain. I effectively wasted a point, while the opponent does his combination his next turn.
- Walk or jump away => Same as above
- Push the opponent away => With what? There is no short range weapon with more damage than stomp and knockback. So stomp, but that won't stop the opponent from doing his combination the next turn as it does not heat him up or drain his energy.
- That leaves only one option => I have to kick his ass in short range before he kicks mine. This can only be done with bullet type MGs or swords. The winner is the one with more stamina.

So is this really the only option? I have to completely adapt my mech to a short range shoot out? High HP, MG's, Swords? The opponent does the same, so where is the diversity, the counter?

My suggestions for the swords (maybe not all at the same time):
- Further increase their cost, so that one can prevent an sword attack in advance by draining energy or heating the mech up.
- Add knockback to all swords or decrease their damage/drawbacks.
- Maybe have them occupy two arm slots on one side. This would also prevent the crappy look with overlapping weapons and prevent hiding guns underneath.
- Add close range knockback weapons, which surpass stomp in damage output.

Enough whine!
What's your opinion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm 
SM Maintenance Team
SM Maintenance Team

@HossmanOriginal
Thank you very much for your explanation :)

I will reduce the energy drain / heat generation for swords.
Damage is already nerfed a little.
Changes will most likely come to the live system tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Why only swords? I want a hammer!

For the low and mid levels, they're fine, for high levels, I agree with Hossman.

        ★   ★ ★ ★ ★  ★
        ★   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★★★
         ★★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★★★
         ★   ★ ★ ★ ★  ★
         ★   ★★★ ★★  ★★★
          ★   ★ ★ ★ ★  ★
           ★★  ★  ★ ★ ★★★

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

and dont forget to put back +3 knocback on the Meteor sword, like it was at the beggining....i think the most powerfull sword must have that ability, not just the low level swords...and yes, ME WANT A HAMMER :D...a SPACE MARINE HAMMER :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 am 
Corporal
Corporal

fake wrote:
Why only swords? I want a hammer!

Dam. I was going to wrote this...