It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please stay on topic at all times in this board.

Please be respectful to other members and administrators.

No spam.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: SuperMech Tournament
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

As far as matchmaking goes, i'm supporting the fixed lvl cap over regular matchmaking range.

Why?
It's simple.
While using fixed lvl cap, everything above the cap can't be used and thus, mechs are quite evenly matched (that leads to a long, internesting battles).

But when the matchmaking range is used, the mech lvl difference can be up to 4 levels. And that 4 levels is enough range where one mech can be clearly outmatched.
For example: if i'd use my lvl20 mech (with Solider torso) i can be matched up against lvl24 mech (with Lucifer torso) and winning such battle is next to impossible.
Same goes when i'd use my lvl35 mech (with Shielded torso) and i get matched up against lvl39 mech (with Gladiator torso). I'd be in disadvantage in HPs, kit slots, module slots and i'd also have weaker weapons.

Lil'bit offtopic:
One thing i don't get is why to call new players as noobs :?:
Why not to call new players as newbies?

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

sorry it's a gaming phrase that drilled into me :ugeek:

Check out RupertAngier's Wonderful Community Suggestions ;)
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25755

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:12 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

RupertAngier wrote:
sorry it's a gaming phrase that drilled into me :ugeek:

You do realize that noob is a slighting word?

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 am 
Major
Major

Noob=derogatory term usually used for someone that has been around and just chooses to act in an annoying way. Newb=a new player that doesn't know any better and is learning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

The lvl20 area isn't the only spot where the matchmaking range becomes an issue.

E.g., if i'd say that i'd choosed matchmaking range of 31 (that means range 27-35) while i'll be using my lvl35 mech with Shielded torso, any opponent that uses lvl32 or below mech would easely loose to me since Shielded torso is lvl33 rare torso and only another Shielded torso would be an equal match to me.

So, as far as tournament goes, i'm supporting lvl cap.
Also, if this (1st) tournament with it's lvl cap doesn't work out, the next (2nd) tournament could use the regular matchmaking range just to see if it's better than having a lvl cap.

As for noob and newb terms go, not all players who are annoying are noobs. There may very well be skillful players who are annoying. That doesn't mean they're noobs.

Newbs are those who are new to some task and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage.
Noobs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it. Many of them may have been playing the game for a while, but still suck at it. They usually have no hope.

--
Aeacus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

SideOneDummy wrote:
Aeacus wrote:
The lvl20 area isn't the only spot where the matchmaking range becomes an issue.

E.g., if i'd say that i'd choosed matchmaking range of 31 (that means range 27-35) while i'll be using my lvl35 mech with Shielded torso, any opponent that uses lvl32 or below mech would easely loose to me since Shielded torso is lvl33 rare torso and only another Shielded torso would be an equal match to me.

How would that be any difference if there was a cap? Really, I am just confused. A cap of 35 could still allow a person to play at level 32 or below. And if the matchmaking range is level 31 and the player chooses a level 32, that is their choice, just as it would be if the cap was 35 and they choose to play at 31.

It all sounds so good and bad here. But i will keep ma finger crossed. Who knows which one end up far mere better then other one. You never know.

JUST A GAMER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I don't care about the rules! My 2 killer mechs will get the job done! Just name my first victim! :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

SideOneDummy wrote:
How would that be any difference if there was a cap? Really, I am just confused. A cap of 35 could still allow a person to play at level 32 or below. And if the matchmaking range is level 31 and the player chooses a level 32, that is their choice, just as it would be if the cap was 35 and they choose to play at 31.

I'll try to explain matchmaking range and lvl cap differences again.

Matchmaking range
Example: When opponent chooses to use his lvl31 mech, then that means his matchmaking range is 27-35. It also means that his opponent can use mech in range of 27-35. (Not very fair if opponent chooses to use higer lvl mech against him, but in this case who would use lower lvl mech?)

Level cap
Example: When opponent chooses to use his lvl31 mech, then that means his opponent can't use a mech that is lvl32 or above. In level cap, opponent can use mech in range of 1-31. (This way, both mechs can be evenly matched and there's no chance that opponent will use higer lvl mech.)

Did this cleared things up a bit?

--
Aeacus

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next