It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: gonna ask yall a serious question...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

aister wrote:
Tenkai wrote:
well some overly technical people need you to clarify if you mean north, south, or central america.

or better, the country or the continent
lifenstuff wrote:
and who knows maybe canadians refer to themselves as the only americans who live in the world as USAians do :roll:

I don't think so... US might disregard other countries in America Cont. but I never see any country disregard US...

ok that's fine but do you think it's ridiculous i asked the question where in america?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Tenkai wrote:
i just realized how dumb the name newfoundland is. it's like the guy who named it had absolutely no creativity whatsoever. he could've chose something cool like texas but noooo.

texas is a lame name, and we have some cool names in newfoundland, like come by chance and.... well i shouldnt say the one i was thinking of :s

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

OmegaXII wrote:
Tenkai wrote:
i just realized how dumb the name newfoundland is. it's like the guy who named it had absolutely no creativity whatsoever. he could've chose something cool like texas but noooo.

texas is a lame name, and we have some cool names in newfoundland, like come by chance and.... well i shouldnt say the one i was thinking of :s

>newfoundland
>comebychance

oh my god, canadians cannot into imagination and creativity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 pm 
Captain
Captain

i need a doctor
cauz i am thinking that america is in europe !!
is it cauz of the end of teh world??
or cauz omega said it??
or cauz aister said it???

i really need a doc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:49 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Tenkai wrote:

lmao !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Private
Private

America is a continent. The American continent spans from all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, covering both North, Central and South America. It was named that way over 400 years ago by the spanish, in honor of italian Americo Vespucio.

Only 50 years ago or so, the USA starting calling that continent "The Americas" in order to justify calling themselves "America". The truth is the country is called "The United States OF America", OF being the important word here, meaning it's a bunch of states that are IN America.

If you ask anyone in south America if they are Americans, they'll say Yes. If you ask the Spanish, they'll tell you America is the whole continent. There are song written to this continent everywhere, for 4 centuries, calling it America.

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..).

I'm from Argentina, and I'm American.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

....ok, answer this question how a normal person would instead of overthinking it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Major
Major

American means the United States. Just like how:

Britain = British
Canada = Canadian
India = Indian
China = Chinese

United States of America = American

What else would the citizens be called? America is in the name of our country, it's not because we are the most mentionable country.

=) Hope I halped :D

almafuerte wrote:
America is a continent. The American continent spans from all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, covering both North, Central and South America. It was named that way over 400 years ago by the spanish, in honor of italian Americo Vespucio.

Only 50 years ago or so, the USA starting calling that continent "The Americas" in order to justify calling themselves "America". The truth is the country is called "The United States OF America", OF being the important word here, meaning it's a bunch of states that are IN America.

If you ask anyone in south America if they are Americans, they'll say Yes. If you ask the Spanish, they'll tell you America is the whole continent. There are song written to this continent everywhere, for 4 centuries, calling it America.

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change *CENSORED*.

Actually you are Argentinian. It's just a name for the citizens of our country, calm down. Like I said what else would we be called?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 pm 
Private
Private

Your replay doesn't make any sense.

You are mentioning countries that have a single, original name. Your country doesn't have a single, original name. Since it was born as a union of otherwise independent, sovereign states, it never had an original name, the states just used a description, that eventually turned into a name, that description being the united states of america.

Let's use an example.

Africa is a continent.

Some countries in Africa used "Africa" in their names, namely the Central African Republic and South Africa. People from the Central African Republic call themselves "Central Africans" while people from South Africa are called "South Africans". They don't call themselves "Africans" because they know their countries have Africa in their names because they are part of the African continent, and they don't call their country "Africa" because they know Africa is the continent where their country is. They are still all "Africans", just as anyone from Kenya is African too.

EXACTLY the same situation applies to the United States.

The name "America" predates the existence of your country by roughly 300 years. This continent was already called America roughly 300 years before your country came into existence.

Further supporting this fact, is the demonym used for your country in other languages. For example, in spanish, It's "Estadounidense". Similar words are used in French, Portuguese and Italian.

The USA is well known for trying to rewrite history, changing facts, then pretending it's always been that way.

Your country is NOT CALLED America. It's "The United States of America". And while your citizens are Americans, that's a quality anybody from this continent shares.

Now, you said I'm actually Argentinian. I am. I'm also American, because I am a part of the continent known as American. You do realize people from Europe are Europeans, people from Asia are Asians, and people from Africa are Africans? Well, people from America are Americans. I live in the continent known as America, therefore I am American.

If you are going to reply, please make sure you first understand formal logic, and can actually discuss under those terms. If you are going to use anecdotal evidence such as "Canadians are from Canada!", please realize you aren't qualified to participate in a logical exchange, and just hold your thoughts.

Jake wrote:
American means the United States. Just like how:

Britain = British
Canada = Canadian
India = Indian
China = Chinese

United States of America = American

What else would the citizens be called? America is in the name of our country, it's not because we are the most mentionable country.

=) Hope I halped :D

almafuerte wrote:

The fact that a single country tried to steal the name, doesn't change *CENSORED*.

Actually you are Argentinian. It's just a name for the citizens of our country, calm down. Like I said what else would we be called?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

^agree on that, but it's so much well-known and widely-accepted now that when u say America, u say US.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next