It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ferr3t made a post!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:45 pm 
Major
Major

Is he back?! (im calling him out)

Post subject: Re: Ferr3t made a post!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:46 pm 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

just checking in XD

Most Crystals: 121
Highest Power: 212

Sensual bath time feat. Ferr3t
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Major
Major

Ferr3t wrote:
just checking in XD

Awww lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

wanna proof read my history essay? =D

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm 
Major
Major

Sure lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 pm 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

Yayyy. Thank-you bub.

Before the mid 18th century and the Industrial Revolution, general living conditions and the way in which people lived were hugely different to how they were afterwards. People were just starting to think out of the box to create some incredible technology and new ideas, and the typical life of somebody living in those times was very predictable. This essay aims to cover some of the most substantial and life-changing differences between the Industrial Revolution and Medieval Times, such as; The Enlightenment, education, general medical services available, how countries were governed and freedom of speech. Before discussing the changes, it is necessary to understand how people lived before the Industrial Revolution.

Before the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, people lived in small towns and villages, scattered sparsely across Europe. Most of these towns were self-sufficient. Goods and services originated from local families, eliminating the need to travel any distance regularly. It was uncommon for somebody to ever journey more than 20 kilometres from their birthplace. Mass production was on a very small scale, limited by market size in each town and technology available, leaving most things to be handmade by local residents. The general living conditions inside these villages were very poor by modern western standards, but, were definitely better than during the Industrial Age. A major reason for the change in life was because of The Enlightenment, a movement of science, independence and free thinking.

The Enlightenment was a movement of rational thinking, republicanism, humanism, individualism and secularism. These were all new ideas and developments that were regarded with much scepticism amongst those who had a strong belief in the mindset laid down by the church, that God controls all of the universe and everything inhabiting it. Rational thinking was a huge leap forward in the terms of science and reasoned thinking to create some ground breaking technologies and discoveries which were vital for the Industrial Revolution to have existed. Some of the new technologies and scientific discoveries that resulted from rational thinking are the steam engine, the spinning jenny, astronomy and chemistry. Republicanism was an idea which sprouted from the French Revolution. It stood for an elected government and was against power by birthright. Republicanism was one of the biggest differences between the Industrial Revolution and what came before. Democracy as we know it today would not have been possible without this major change. Humanism stands for the fact that human beings are just as powerful as God himself and that the future of the world is just as much in our hands as it is in his. Individualism is a term used to express the idea that each person on earth should have equal rights to freedom. Individualism was another huge step out of Medieval Times and still has an enormous impact on how the western world works today. Secularism means that the church should have no influence in the terms of how the government is run. This was very different thinking than what people were used to, since the church used to control almost every aspect of people’s lives. The Enlightenment encouraged a lot of people to learn about how things worked and why and explore the unknown, which lead to education becoming more valued.

There was very little formal education during the pre-Industrial age. Only the extremely rich were able to find the time and money for an education. It was uncommon for females to be thoroughly educated regardless if they were from a rich background or not, since the females’ primary role in pre-Industrial times was to raise children, keep the house clean and cook. A huge percentage of men were also unable to read or write, since they could simply not afford an education. The church and governments of the pre-Industrial era were very paranoid about the populations gaining an education, since literacy might encourage free thinking and thoughts about revolution. Medicine and health also progressed greatly during the Industrial Age.

Before the Industrial Age, medicine and how doctors conducted their business was very basic and lacked almost all of the techniques and technologies that were used during the Industrial Revolution. Pain killers and anaesthetics were not yet invented, so during surgery whoever was being operated on would almost always be forcibly restrained and given large amounts of alcohol as an alternate for pain relief. Little was known about how infections developed and spread, and there was no training available for doctors before the Industrial Age. This lead to quite a high chance that surgery would result in death or serious injury for the patient. Dental services in those days were also very primitive, with almost all operations simply consisting of the patient being held down and the sore tooth being pulled straight out of its socket. Countries were ruled very differently before the Industrial Age, having a huge effect on how people lived.

Before the Industrial Age, almost all law and land was ruled by the church, king and a council. The council was a very basic form of government, where laws were passed. Unfortunately, the council was very unfair, with over fifty percent of the decision about what got passed or not, resting in the hands of the very wealthy people. Also, the king could easily override these laws and create new ones without the council’s permission if he wanted to. Most of the laws passed by the council were often terrible for the poorer people and highly beneficial for the rich. This inevitably led to poorer people feeling powerless and angry, which sometimes resulted in rebellions. An example of a successful rebellion is the French Revolution which occurred during 1789, where the French peasants rose up out of anger and toppled the King and the then current council. Freedom of speech and expression was highly frowned upon by the government of that time, and those who spoke out against ideas by the church, king or council were almost always put to death for ‘treason’. This made people feel that they could not express themselves, contributing to the the general feeling that revolution was necessary.

In conclusion, life before the Industrial Age was generally meagre for the poor and first-rate for the rich. When compared to technology that was being used during the Industrial Age, technology was very primitive, standards of education for general population was extremely low by modern age standards, health services were very primitive and was not efficiant and the system that controlled how people lived was extremely unfair, causing the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I hope you indented those paragraphs! These lines:

Republicanism was an idea which sprouted from the French Revolution. It stood for an elected government and was against power by birthright. Republicanism was one of the biggest differences between the Industrial Revolution and what came before. Democracy as we know it today would not have been possible without this major change. Humanism stands for the fact that human beings are just as powerful as God himself and that the future of the world is just as much in our hands as it is in his. Individualism is a term used to express the idea that each person on earth should have equal rights to freedom. Individualism was another huge step out of Medieval Times and still has an enormous impact on how the western world works today. Secularism means that the church should have no influence in the terms of how the government is run. This was very different thinking than what people were used to, since the church used to control almost every aspect of people’s lives.

I feel you could've brought them together a bit better. Your conclusion on that paragraph seemed kinda disconnected to me (get a second opinion, but consider it). Something like, "these ideals encouraged blah, blah, blah" then that sentence.

Also, I see some opinions on your part, but I see they're backed up, so I think you're good.

So yeah, I'm the guy everyone eventually hates.

[Advice for the New Player Here]

Last edited by MmCm6 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Dead Ferr3t, you posted your homework instead of your post this time :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

BD can be a great resource tool. Why, last year I wrote an essay about the necessity and advantages of conquering for both parties, and it included the line, "It keeps the noobs down and gets me the tax for ranged".

So yeah, I'm the guy everyone eventually hates.

[Advice for the New Player Here]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Quote:
Before the Industrial Age, almost all law and land was ruled by the church, king and a council. The council was a very basic form of government, where laws were passed. Unfortunately, the council was very unfair,

I'm really picky when it comes to things like this... so bear with me :lol:

You said "a council" at first, then switched to "the council", I'd keep one or another. Also, sometimes you capitalize "king" and sometimes you don't.
Quote:
poor to get poorer.

I'm stuck on this one. I would say "more poor", but I guess it's up to you.

One last thing. At the beginning, you say "this essay is about..." or something along the lines of that. Might just be me but I don't like writing those types of things. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next