It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

1.) No trolling. If you cant have fun without being a jerk to others, find some other forum to QQ
2.) No inappropriate/vulgar/sexually explicit posting. Staff reserves the right to deem anything they see fit as inappropriate.
3.) Have fun and don't post anything not geared at having fun!
4.) Please respect staff members and their decisions at all times. If you cannot accept a staff or moderator decision, please appeal to admin Seth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ways to get teens and pre-teens to read
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Note to myself: I've a feeling we're not in New York anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm 
Major
Major

dylsupreme1 wrote:
Note to myself: I've a feeling we're not in New York anymore.

lolwat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm 
Private
Private

The thing Jake, is that it isn't always true. Barely anyone reads anymore. Hell, some people don't even know when the civil war was. I had to tell my friend who we fought in WWII. This one girl didn't even know what the Army National Guard was. I was just like... what? They don't care about their future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm 
Major
Major

apollo wrote:
The thing Jake, is that it isn't always true. Barely anyone reads anymore. Hell, some people don't even know when the civil war was. I had to tell my friend who we fought in WWII. This one girl didn't even know what the Army National Guard was. I was just like... what? They don't care about their future.

Hmm, its true in my community but if it that wasn't the case, I guess I would push it on to the schools to offer extra credit to read certain books like if you read how to kill a mockingbird, take a test and do good on it you get (x) extra credit in school. If that's how it was in my school I would be acing English :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm 
Private
Private

YEah, but that's just school book. Kids will read books for school because they want to pass. I'm talking about reading for FUN.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

apollo wrote:

Civil war - Don't know the exact date, hmm. Lincoln was assassinated in 1865, hmm. War of 1812.... wow. Lol. I'm disappointed in myself. Well it was between the north and south obviously, Ulysses S. grant and Robert E. Lee. North won.

WW2 - Allied powers vs. Axis powers. America, Russia (eventually), Britain and some other countries vs. Germany, Italy, and Japan. Some famous battles include D day and the battle of the bulge. Italy was captured first, (allied forces originally captured Sicily and moved onward), then Germany, and finally Japan surrendered after months of trying to kill some allied soldiers with Kamikaze/suicide attacks. Enola gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and then we got Nagakaski, I believe. Killed originally about 100,000 people combined, although more later died from radiation and such.

Army national guard - ....... *Facepalm*

Funny thing is, I rarely read. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

true, I think most people never touch the book becuz they are afraid, or think, that reading a book is a proof of a nerd, and that reading is a waste of time.

I remember the time when I spent 3 days read a story that I like (around 2000 pages), and even though I'm a computer guy, I have to say that it was better than any other kind of games and movies.

and it was Soviet Union at the time of WW2 dyl :) The war started first with Germany attacked Poland I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I've spent more time reading than I have on the computer. I stayed up waaay past midnight starting when I was in 4th grade with a flashlight reading books in bed. My mom once was going to wake me up in the morning when she found a book and a flashlight on the bed. I was so screwed. That didn't stop me though. :lol:

I have no clue why some people won't read... I've always liked reading. I still read all the time, a book usually lasts me 2 days (including nights). :lol:

Maybe its just that there's no pictures. Idk lol.

But I usually don't read anything other than fantasy. Sometimes I read a bit of historical fiction in English. That's it for English books...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

aister wrote:
and it was Soviet Union at the time of WW2 dyl :) The war started first with Germany attacked Poland I believe.

Soviet Union, USSR, Russia, That big ass country over there, it's all the same thing.

Dawnice wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I've spent more time reading than I have on the computer. I stayed up waaay past midnight starting when I was in 4th grade with a flashlight reading books in bed. My mom once was going to wake me up in the morning when she found a book and a flashlight on the bed. I was so screwed. That didn't stop me though. :lol:

I have no clue why some people won't read... I've always liked reading. I still read all the time, a book usually lasts me 2 days (including nights). :lol:

Maybe its just that there's no pictures. Idk lol.

But I usually don't read anything other than fantasy. Sometimes I read a bit of historical fiction in English. That's it for English books...

Historical fiction and biographies are my favorite. And the classics, have all of them. Pride and Prejudice, treasure island, War and peace, A Christmas carol, Wuthering heights, Great expectations, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, ALL of them.

EDIT: WAIT! To kill a mockingbird. Best book ever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

not quite, Soviet Union is larger than the current Russia.

Russia is one of the biggest "state", well I'll call it country but I think it's the same as states, in the Soviet Union :)

I remember there was a time when I spent weeks reading Ancient Chinese stories, Three Kingdoms for example...

gosh and becuz of that Three Kingdoms I had to stand outside for a whole month...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next