It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Updates - June 29th
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 pm 
Captain
Captain

Quote:
-This hurts people with lots of outposts.

Actually, it doesn't. This change helps people with lots of outposts (I mean, Kane wanted this change... and he has like, 50 of them) - having outposts before increased your pop by 10, so each outpost meant that you were missing out on 10 workers. Now, instead of having a "roof" - it's now possible to get more outposts, but it's gonna cost ya. Think about it this way: 1 conquer = 1 outpost. You can get more than one conquer with one outpost...

Quote:
-It hurts alliances that have not pursued crystals as much due to their low tangible value.

They still did have value. Alliances always go after crystals, simply because of their score value.

Quote:
-It hurts people who have already built all or most of their structures (especially lvl 1-3 structures)

It doesn't hurt them. It just doesn't help them. At the time, everyone had to pay that amount for the structures - so you're not losing anything, the only thing you're losing is against the new people to the world which, with the worlds at this phase already, won't pose much of a threat anyway.

Quote:
-It hurts people who were planning to build one of the upgraded outposts

No it doesn't. It helps them if anything, as upkeep is the same regardless of type.

Quote:
-It hurts people who aren't defending their upgraded outposts well, beacuse they were cheap and their wasnt a delay on the upgrade taking effect

People not defending their upgraded outposts well is hurting them, not us. The fact that we didn't have the timer implemented (Which, by the way, was in the old client and in this situation REALLY OVERPOWERED: Imagine you dropping an OP next to someone, making it a gate and then charging in without a chance for the defenders to respond).

Quote:
Sure the changes are all good and will help balance the game. BUT COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE SOME WARNING OR NOT PUT THEM INTO A GAME THAT IS ALREADY RUNNING. Changing major rules of a game, while it is running and without any warning makes impossible to strategise. If nothing else you guys could have given us two weeks notice on the updates, so we could tweak our strategies accordingly and plan ahead.

Firstly, we don't know when the updates are coming. We get small bug fixes and balance changes here and there and big updates like this one. We try to give you the change log as quick as we can but we simply don't know when it'll be released (because bugs spring up all the time, problems with implementation...)

I know that it's frustrating to have these changes implemented mid round. I do play myself semi-seriously. However, we have said on multiple occasions that balance changes WILL come. Because in it's current state, the client and the values aren't perfect. We want to get as close to that as possible.

As for "Not putting them into running games.." - it'll be a good 8 weeks until any server is reset, which would severely stunt the development process (Or cause us to create a new server every update - which is unfeasable)

Sorry for your inconvenience, but I hope you understand we're working for a better battledawn. Things will change, yes. Some things may help you, some things may not.

Hope that helped!
St.Even - Battledawn Staff.

The Battle Dawn Staff:
Working with you, to make and maintain
the very best browser based game!

*Lemon-Flavoured, according to Andrew...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:41 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

i find something wrong with this update.. you dont see any control ticks on the colonies like they were before the update.. and you dont see the rebellion ticks either.

can that be fixed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:44 pm 
Captain
Captain

Lord of War wrote:
Oh and by the way - be careful how much you let "BD veterans" determine how the game is balanced - especially when they are playing in the round and have the success of their alliances at stake. But I have no idea who you have been talking to so... ignore me if this is already being taken into account.

The balance changes so far have been done by a team of staff (myself included). Trust me that I don't let the vets in our team balance the game in their favour ;) Note that the new worker production update favours the new player, the structures do, too.

Trust me that I'll be sticking up for all of the players, Casual gamers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose (because you're not playing too seriously!)

St.Even

PS. Also note that this update contained alot of bug fixes and some back-end work.

The Battle Dawn Staff:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

Dukey wrote:
i find something wrong with this update.. you dont see any control ticks on the colonies like they were before the update.. and you dont see the rebellion ticks either.

can that be fixed?

The ability to see control ticks of non-allied colonies has been removed, as with rebellion ticks for non-allied, non-allied conquered colonies. We believe that this was the best thing to do, as we thought that this number would be "Sensitive information" and could give too much detail to a potential attacker.

The general rule of thumb is "We don't let you get anything 100% accurately" - Think military scans and their inaccuracies.

Thanks alot,
St.Even

(I'll stop double posting now. *slaps self on wrist*)

The Battle Dawn Staff:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:53 pm 
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

Yeah, I understand that the new version of this game is currently being beta tested and the changes sofar have been good.

However, as you said yourself these changes were discussed ahead of time with a number of people. And even after these changes were agreed upon they still had to be implemented and then tested on a backend server. I don't see a reason why they can't tell us a week or two ahead of time what the changes will be while the updates are being tested on their backend servers.

I understand that exploits are a different story and have no problem with emergency updates for those, but I don't see anything here that I would categorize as an exploit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm 
Captain
Captain

Quote:
However, as you said yourself these changes were discussed ahead of time with a number of people. And even after these changes were agreed upon they still had to be implemented and then tested on a backend server. I don't see a reason why they can't tell us a week or two ahead of time what the changes will be while the updates are being tested on their backend servers.

Sure. The update went live on the Release Candidate on Sunday night. and a few more changes were made after that to fix emerging bugs. We really cant give you a week or two ahead, trust me, i'd love to. It'd stop me having to do this on the forums every time (:P) and would make the community happier... The idea is, eventually, when we've got everything sorted. We will have an "Update day" on a schedule, which will allow us to keep you in the know as much as possible.

Unfortunately, at the moment... it's all a little hectic.

The Battle Dawn Staff:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:59 pm 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

I <3 no more workers for outpost.

The crystal/relic update = 21 M/O x 48 = 1008 metal/oil more for each day ^.^ , or 5 units :P

i hate the power update tho , i've always hated the first 3 power ranks (Rederoin <3 high power ranks)

Total amount of crystals/relics obtained 2500~/11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:11 pm 
Captain
Captain

Note: Sorry for the discrepency about boost % s. It has been reverted to 50%/100% - This may be subject to change. Currently only the minimum has been implemented. This may, again, change at a later date.

Thanks alot,
St.Even

The Battle Dawn Staff:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

any possible way its back to normal for resources.. i mean.. it just dropped from 5900/2950 on e3 for metal to 5000/2500 for packages.. shouldnt it be higher than that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Captain
Captain

Dukey wrote:
any possible way its back to normal for resources.. i mean.. it just dropped from 5900/2950 on e3 for metal to 5000/2500 for packages.. shouldnt it be higher than that?

Try logging back in. We've made 3 changes to the metal/oil boosts in the last 20 minutes after deciding that we liked the old 50%/100% system better :P

the 2500/5000 is down to the minimum amount of resources that are possible to get from a boost.

Thanks alot,
St.Even

The Battle Dawn Staff:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next