It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex marriage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:44 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

sorry to interrupt but can i make a point?

Within the catholic church a marriage is defined as "a binding of one man and one woman for the purposes of pro-creation"

indicating that the idea of a marriage was actually to legalise reproduction between specific partners. My issue is this, in a same-sex partnership how are the two partners meant to pro-create with each other only? They will only have 1 of the constituent parts required for reproduction and as any persons acting from outside this partnership to aid in pro-creation will be breaking this definition i do not feel that the binding of 2 people of the same sex can constitute as a marriage

Colonel Yanick (the original)
Rabid Panda

TC alliance member
,,,, Army of Darkness SPC-current member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:04 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Marriage does not have anything to do with religion or law. Its got nothing to do with reproduction either. We just choose to associate marriage with religion and reproduction. Why is marriage even needed ? Just to reproduce? LOL. Thats a stupid definition.

Marriage is a relationship between two people (Heterosexual or homosexual). I would consider a husband and wife that don't communicate with each other, don't support each other, as not married, whereas say two people living in, but still show love and understanding for each other as married.

Now homosexuality is just a preference, but I don't think it changes the basics of a relationship that much. People would still need and expect the same things from each other as in a heterosexual relationship. And therefore marriage if legalized, would still be valid. And it should be. People should not have to go through suffering and bias because of their sexual preferences, its no ones business.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 am 
Private
Private

Marriage is an institution to solve the problems together which one alone never had...

So let's make sex and more workers!

(btw., Strawberry, u have time?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

pivo wrote:
Marriage is an institution to solve the problems together which one alone never had...

So let's make sex and more workers!

(btw., Strawberry, u have time?)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm 
Private
Private

I just remembered this was here. whoops.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 am 
Captain
Captain

Lets look at it this way. The main opposition to same sex marriage is the Church. The way to solve this is for both sides to grant concessions. You have same sex marriage but you call it something difeerent, civil unions. This way marriage is kept "pure" in the eyes of the church.

Personally I find marriages to be just a public display of affection, something you do for attention. There is no real benefits it gives you that you cannot get through other methods. But if others still want to do it, I dont see why they cant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:04 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I know i'm replying to a really really old topic but I just wanted to say something:

It is the right of any person to do what he or she pleases with their own body. If we believe in the right to speech, the right to religious tolerance, then drawing the line at something as materialistic as lust is barbaric and purely childish. Some people don't like video games....are we outlawing those? (No because they tried and it was deemed unconstitutional because video games are protected by freedom of speech)

If we are to progress as a free, and civilized society, we must learn to accept others. We must not shrink from controversy, for a nation who does so, will cease to exist and become stagnant in an ever changing world.

Personally I think homosexuality is rather disgusting (but I'm a hypocrite when it comes to lesbians...shame on me), but who am I...who are we pretending to be by saying SOMEONE ELSE cannot have a different ideology than us?

If its not the gays, its the blacks, if its not the blacks is the Hispanics, if its not the Hispanics its the Jews, if its not the Jews, its the Muslims, if its not the Muslims, its Satan, if its Not Satan its God....when are we going to realize its "us".....

MORE BD Comics on Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

This is a terrible argument, top to bottom.

Elric wrote:
It is the right of any person to do what he or she pleases with their own body.
It is not my right to strap bombs to my body and run into a crowded train station. It is NOT the right of any person to do what they please, even with themselves--only when such actions do not affect the society on the whole does that apply, and that is a pretty crucial addendum.

Elric wrote:
Some people don't like video games....are we outlawing those? (No because they tried and it was deemed unconstitutional because video games are protected by freedom of speech)
Freedom of speech is a flawed concept. If we have freedom of speech, then why is hate speech illegal? There is a giant asterisk next to "Freedom of Speech", and it dictates what "speech" is "free". In fact, upon a quick reread, I don't even think you have an argument here. You're saying that because we have certain rights, those rights extend automatically to certain things that are completely unrelated? I mean, heck, how does that make sense? That's tantamount to saying

Women have the right to education
Since women have the right to education, they also have the right to abuse of their husbands

???

Elric wrote:
If we are to progress as a free, and civilized society, we must learn to accept others. We must not shrink from controversy, for a nation who does so, will cease to exist and become stagnant in an ever changing world.
Fluff. Here is a controversy for you: Giving every person in the world a gun. What a controversial decision! But we must embrace it! Yeah, this paragraph is a bit asinine.

Elric wrote:
Personally I think homosexuality is rather disgusting (but I'm a hypocrite when it comes to lesbians...shame on me), but who am I...who are we pretending to be by saying SOMEONE ELSE cannot have a different ideology than us?
Weak. To use a comparison, think about how having sex and going nude in public is illegal under 'public indecency'. Your argument here does not apply. "Personally, I think that going nude in public is rather disgusting, but who am I...who are we pretending to be by saying SOMEONE ELSE cannot have a different ideology than urs?" I mean, do you see how this doesn't hold any water? 'Different ideology', as demonstrated by the current laws and those of history, does not grant you a universal right to do whatever you want. The opinions of society must be taken into account.

Elric wrote:
If its not the gays, its the blacks, if its not the blacks is the Hispanics, if its not the Hispanics its the Jews, if its not the Jews, its the Muslims, if its not the Muslims, its Satan, if its Not Satan its God....when are we going to realize its "us".....
I don't even know what you're talking about here.

Liam wrote:
Rise my minions, VOTE FERR3T #1 FOR HEAD MOD!!

Simmen wrote:
How are you not a admin Hal?..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

NECROOOOOOOO is bad stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

lifenstuff wrote:
NECROOOOOOOO is bad stuff.

Stuff it, thanks. There's enough bad moderation running amok already.

Liam wrote:
Rise my minions, VOTE FERR3T #1 FOR HEAD MOD!!

Simmen wrote:
How are you not a admin Hal?..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next