It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to use the forums?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:19 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- General Navigation -

All the forums are split into 3 main categories: BattleDawn Administration, BattleDawn Embassy, BattleDawn Boards, and Non-BattleDawn Boards. Some boards have subforums, like the Announcements, Alliance Recruitment, BattleDawn Game-Play Discussions, and Spam. Within those forums, there are more specific subforums for their own purposes.

- Viewing Topics -
To view a topic, you can either click on its title, a page number ( Image ), or the view first unread post button( Image ) next to the topic's title.

On the top of each forum page, there is a navigation bar.
View unanswered posts shows you all the topics which have no replies to them.
View active topics shows you all the topics which have had posts on them within a specific time.
View new posts shows you the newest topics within the last day.
View your posts shows you all the topics you've ever posted on.

The icon next to the topic title tells you the status of the topic, or if you've read it or not. If the icon is grayed out, that means you have already read the topic.
Global Announcements will appear at the top of each forum and board that you go to. Sticky'ed topics will stay at the top of its board no matter what. If a topic is locked, you can view it, but you will not be able to add a reply to it.

Post subject: Posting, replying and voting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:35 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Posting, replying and voting -

- Posting -
To post a new topic, go to a board or a thread with the location that you want to create the topic in.
Then click on Image

At the top, you can select a topic icon which will appear next to your topic's title when posted. It would look this this
Type in a topic title, and the message you would like to appear. To the left, there is a wide variety of smiley faces you can add into your post. Click on the smiley face you want to use to add it in. You can also use BBCode to format your text. BBCode will be explained later on.
At the bottom you can choose to disable BBCode, smilies or signatures. You can also choose to not automatically parse URLs, meaning any URLs won't be linked automatically. You can also choose to be notified when someone adds a reply to your topic.
If you choose Preview, you will be shown how your post will look, but no one else will see it, and it is not saved.
If you choose Submit, your post will be posted, everyone else can see it and add replies to it.
If you choose Save, your post will be saved as a draft and you can find it in your User Control Panel (UCP).
If you choose Cancel, nothing will be saved, and your post will not be posted.

- Replying -
Click on Image at the top or bottom of a thread.
Replying is the same as posting, except that you won't need to enter a topic title and that the selected icon will on appear on your post.
- Voting -
At times there may be polls where you can cast your own opinion.
If you see round radio buttons ( Image ), you can only vote once. If you see square checkboxes ( Image ), you can vote more than once. After you have voted, the option(s) with the [x] next to it is the one that you've voted for.
Sometimes you will be able to change your vote after you've voted.

Post subject: Using BBCode
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:54 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Using BBCode -

You can use BBCode to format your text, add images, YouTube videos, and do a lot of other things.
At the top, when you are posting, there is a formatting bar. Likewise, there is a color bar at the right side.

Most things you can do just by hilighting the text you want to format and clicking on the button. An opening tag and a closing tag will be added around it.

So if I wanted to make my text italicized, I would hilight the part I want italicized, and click on the Image.

It will look like this:
Code:
[i]Tralalalalalaa I like flying cows.[/i]
And when posted, it will look like this:
Tralalalalalaa I like flying cows.

You can always type in the code, once you get to know it.

- Pictures -
To insert a picture into your post, you first need to host it on a website somewhere. It can't be on your computer. Some common image hosting sites are ImageShack, Flickr, Tinypic, and imgur. Of course, these aren't all of them, there's a lot more out there.

After you host your image, your image should now have its unique URL. If you can't find it anywhere, right click on your picture and select "Copy Image Location".

Paste your image link and put the img tags around it.

Just like this,
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/eWQFm.jpg[/img]

Would look like this:
Spoiler:
Image :o He's watching you!

- YouTube Videos -
For those fortunate enough to be able to access and view YouTube, you can post YouTube videos on the forum.

When you have the URL of the youtube video, take whatever is after watch?v and put it in between youtube tags.

So x3U6BCUQqG8 is after watch?v= in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3U6BCUQqG8.

This,
Code:
[youtube]x3U6BCUQqG8[/youtube]

Would look like this:

Commonly used BBCodes.
Spoiler:
Code:
[b] bold text [/b]
bold text
Code:
[i] italicized text [/i]
italicized text
Code:
[u] underlined text [/u]
underlined text
Code:
[size=75] tiny font [/size]
tiny font
Code:
[color=#98CDD4] Omg colors! [/color]
Omg colors!
Code:
[quote] quoted text [/quote]
Quote:
quoted text

Code:
[code] removes all formatting [/code]
Code:
removes all formatting

Code:
[url]www.battledawn.com/[/url] Opens links in the same window
http://www.battledawn.com/ Opens links in the same window
Code:
[turl=www.battledawn.com/]www.battledawn.com/[/turl] Opens links in a new window/tab
[turl]www.battledawn.com/[/turl] Opens links in a new window/tab
Code:
[youtube]x3U6BCUQqG8[/youtube]

Post subject: Search System
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Search System -

- Searching, searching, searching... -
To do a quick search for topics and posts, you can scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and search with the bar that is there. Image Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't, don't ask me when it appears, cause I don't know...

Or if you want to do a more advanced search, click on Search at the top right of all pages. It should be pretty self explanatory.

To search for any registered users, click on Members, also on the top right of all pages. At the bottom you have options on how to sort members, or you can just click on Find a member which is on the top right.

Post subject: Private Messages (PM's)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:21 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Private Messages (PM's) -

On the top left, you can see that you have new messages, click on "X new messages" to get to your inbox. Image

If you have any new messages, there will be the Image icon next to the message just like there is next to topics.

On the left side you can go between your Inbox, Outbox, Sent messages, Compose a message, Manage your PM drafts, and your Rules, folders & settings.

Your inbox is where all your new PM's will go to, unless you have settings for them to go to a different folder. Your outbox is where the messages the receiver didn't read are. Sent messages has all the PM's that the receiver read. Compose message lets you, well... compose a message. Manage PM drafts is where you can view, edit and send your PM drafts. You can set your PM settings, filters, and folders under Rules, folders & settings.

- Sending a PM -
You can either click on Compose message when you are at your Private messages, or you can click on the PM icon on someone's profile. Image

To add who to send the message to, you can add usernames on the top left.
Click on either "Add [BBC]" or "Add [To]". You can also select users from your friends list at the bottom right. Simply click on "Add" next to their name. Image All the rest is just like posting.

Post subject: Profile and Usergroups
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Profile and Usergroups -

- Profile -
To edit your profile, click on User Control Panel at the top right, and then Profile at the left side.

You can edit your signature here, but you are limited to 200 characters (not including code). Your signature can be attached to posts that you make, it will also appear in your profile page.

You can also add/delete/change your avatar under your profile. It has to be smaller than 200px x 200px and less than 20KiB. Here you have the choice to either upload your avatar from your computer, or from a link.
- Usergroups -
There are various groups in BattleDawn, some of which you can apply for. Under UCP --> Usergroups, you can select open groups to join. You will not be able to apply closed groups.

Post subject: Contacting Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

- Contacting Staff -

Need help? Feel lost? You can always contact a moderator, they'll help you out. Simply go to the Board Index, and click on The team under the boards, and above the (usually) large list of who is online. You can click on the PM icon Image at the right to contact them.

If you have ban appeals, make sure you PM your admin, don't post it .

Post subject: Re: How to use the forums?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:31 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Okkaaaay I'm done for now. Might tweak a few things here and there. If anyone sees anything needs changing, just tell me and I'll add/remove/fix it. Comments, feedback anyone? :D

Moved to Help Desk due to a large amount of requests.

- Dawn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:37 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

very good and i actually bothered to read it all before you ask i cant see any mistakes or things that need tweaking

well done and how long did that take you

Best alliance finished:1st

The Silent Spammer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:32 am 
Captain
Captain

thats fantastic it doesnt need any changes. (was that octo posts? xD)

Taz

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next