It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: (PIPA) and (SOPA)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Millions of Americans oppose SOPA and PIPA because these bills would censor the Internet and slow economic growth in the U.S.

Two bills before Congress, known as the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House, would censor the Web and impose harmful regulations on American business. Millions of Internet users and entrepreneurs already oppose SOPA and PIPA.

from the US google

Post subject: Re: (PIPA) and (SOPA)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Yes, that's from Google. Did you sign the virtual petition? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

yes i did

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 pm 
Private
Private

I've always hated Obama, but I respect the man so much for this.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/tech/2012 ... port-sopa/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

will this effect anyone else or just americans?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

it will effect other countries because the bill will let the government close websites that are based in america but people all around the world use

(´・ω・`)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 pm 
Major
Major

apollo wrote:
I've always hated Obama, but I respect the man so much for this.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/tech/2012 ... port-sopa/

Hes trying to get votes, xD

I have been waiting for Ron Paul to respond to it... hopefully he does soon because this is something he wouldn't want to pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Location: Look behind you. Theres a shadow. Look at where it is. It isnt me

SOPA = PIPA(PRO-IP). SOPA, which stands for Stop Online Piracy Act, is the House of Representatives version of a potential 'solution' to online piracy. PRO-IP, or the Protect IP Act, is the Senate proposal for how to halt online piracy of media. Both of these initiatives are funded by the entertainment industry which feels that it is losing large volumes of money to digital piracy, this being primarily TV, movies, and music, though games and print are in there to a lesser extent.

What SOPA and PRO-IP do is give powers to copyright holders to force a site down for infringing copyrighted material. The weapons that these potential bills give are varied and dangerous, though the wording is far too loose to be safe. The biggest reason that these are dangerous is that they would give copyright holders the power to decide what is infringement, instead of following minor things like freedom of speech and fair use.

What could happen is that copyright holders (say a record company) decide that they do not like the video you posted of yourself whistling one of their songs in the shower on YouTube. YouTube is told that they must take the video down, or else. The law says that if YouTube tries to do so, they are immune to further retaliation from the copyright holder. If they do not, the copyright holder can tell the people that post ads on YouTube not to do so, they can make the company that processes payments stop, they can tell Google not to link to them, they can tell your service provider not to allow the domain to translate. All of these would kill a website very quickly, unless a method to get around these were used.

There are already several programs and plugins that do just that, since they do not have the power to actually bring YouTube down, just burn the roads there. You would still be able to directly connect to the website with an IP address (that crazy string of numbers that you use to connect to a Minecraft server sometimes) if you knew it, and there are some programs that already bypass the US domain servers. This would also not stop piracy, because they would just do the same thing they have always do.

Something stupid is that provisions against individual piracy already exist, like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which is what is used by YouTube if you decide that your sweet Minecraft video would be cooler with Daft Punk in the music. When you do this, you will be told that your video contains copyright material and is not allowed. This is not the sort of thing that needs to be attacked as piracy. Piracy that should be attacked is where a site would have instances like that that were original content, that being a few among many, instead of where the original and fair use content was the many among the few.

Because of the powers provided to special interest groups and the absence of due process and checks and balances, not to mention the potential undermining of the security of the internet backbone that would be required of the DNS system to allow this sort of work, this set of initiatives cannot be allowed to pass. As you may have already heard, Wikipedia and Reddit are both going to be dark on 1/18/2012, which is the day that there will be a discussion within the capitol regarding these proposals.

The voting will not take place until approximately 1/23/2012 and neither of these have passed at this time. Specifically, the portion regarding modification of the Domain Name System has been criticized by the White House and is set to be removed from the proposals. The most likely outcome if they do manage to become bills to be voted on by the House and Senate instead of simply being created in committees is that the two proposals would be combined in some form.

In support of the protests for something that is not nearly well enough thought out to safely be made into a law (they have no-one thinking like the bad guy about this), I am going to be shutting my Minecraft and Terraria servers down for the day this Wednesday. I request that all server owners join and host some sort of protest of this act, whether it be shutting your servers off for the day, changing your Message of the Day, or hosting a building contest, please do something to fight this potential legislation.

TL;DR: SOPA = PIPA, Both can break the internet without oversight, they are not well-thought, my servers will be down Wednesday, join me

^Not made by me, friend forwarded it to me, but i edited.

Anyways, im against it. I say SOPA

Sethex wrote:
it will effect other countries because the bill will let the government close websites that are based in america but people all around the world use

Ofc it will, but there overlooking it.

Retired player, trying to come back again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 pm 
Major
Major

the co-leader supporting these bills has dropped out it's going to die especially when if you look at it it's
comcast & verizon vs google mozilla wikapedia safari and many many others the government is just pawns in this since verizon and comcast went to them and asked for it because well, it's simply just about the money but with very very powerful companies against it especially google it will most likely be shut down and lets not forget about the people (have done things in the past ;) ) that are all about freedom of information that will be giving them major hell for this. let the war begin

XIRX 4th
TTE 1st
RFW 2nd
Hero 2nd
3rd E5 SOLO
FPM 1st
TFF 2nd
ToXc 1st
add me on supermechs 8069321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:09 pm 
Private
Private

The US department of Justice took down megavideo and megaupload (RIP my friends.)

15 minutes later, anonymous took down The US department of Justice, RIAA, and Universal Music.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next