It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 am 
Corporal
Corporal
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:55 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Taipei City, Taiwan
Gender: female
Quote:
Taipei, Dec. 29 (CNA) Taiwan's Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) reiterated Thursday that the "1992 consensus" serves as the one and only bedrock for solid exchanges between Taiwan and China. The foundation made the comment in response to a remark the previous day by opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen, who said cross-Taiwan Strait relations will move forward if she is elected. Tsai, whose party denies the existence of the "1992 consensus" -- under which the two sides of the strait agree that there is only one China, with each side free to interpret the meaning of "one China" -- said that under a "Taiwan consensus" she has proposed as a democratic mechanism in which different opinions can be fully presented and evaluated, new dialogue with China will take place to improve mutual ties. However, speaking at a year-end press conference, SEF Vice Chairman Kao Koong-lian blasted her idea as "empty" and a "blank check" that could eliminate the mutual trust nurtured by the Ma administration between Taiwan and China. "Tsai should be very careful because her agenda will have an impact on not only internal affairs but also on the global community," Kao said. "A responsible political party should not risk people's wellbeing with unclear policies," he added. Instead, he said, the "1992 consensus" is the only way to maintain peace and current exchanges. "You can call the consensus an 'understanding,' or a 'tacit understanding,'" he said. "Like it or not, it's a historical fact and no improvement in cross-strait relations will be made without acknowledging it." The most important significance of the "1992 consensus" is that it allows discussion about political controversies to be shelved, Kao said. "It came into being because Taiwan does not accept the mainland's 'one China' principle," he added.
(By Lee Hsin-Yin)

_________________
Image

Join the great war!

Y o u - l i k e - g a m e s?
It will be worth it, it is fun. Click for some awesome fast-paced action!!!

Please excuse my fragmented English.
-- Ai Meili


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:16 pm 
Captain
Captain
User avatar
 YIM  Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:42 pm
Posts: 1151
Location: Ocala
Gender: male
There seems to be much controversy. It will hopefull straiten out over time.

_________________
You Will Never forget Me I am The Light and The Dark.
Image
IGN Fallen Angel, Mr. Leader, Vincent
Skype: fallen_angel0825
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:34 pm 
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 2369
Location: Stalker!
The wars tore things up. Maybe someone should war China and Taiwan so they'll be together again, like during the Japanese war lol
MikiMikiU wrote:
"It came into being because Taiwan does not accept the mainland's 'one China' principle,"

The people don't accept it, or the ones at top...?

_________________
没有恩怨,只有胜负。胜者生,负者死。

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:06 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Fuyuki City
Gender: male
I think the main problem with this is, like Korea, the hatred and unacceptance of the opposite side.

most Taiwanese don't like joining China and be called Chinese, while most of the Chinese always think Taiwan is a self-governed district of China, so of course, when join, Taiwan must be called Chinese...

Unless we solve this problem, the two can't be joined easily without a war...

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:56 am 
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 2369
Location: Stalker!
aister wrote:
most Taiwanese don't like joining China and be called Chinese, while most of the Chinese always think Taiwan is a self-governed district of China, so of course, when join, Taiwan must be called Chinese...

Then... explain the SAR's?

We don't often call HongKong people Chinese do we? We usually call them Cantonese or HongKongnese

And take a look at Tibet...

_________________
没有恩怨,只有胜负。胜者生,负者死。

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:38 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Fuyuki City
Gender: male
yes Chinese don't call Hong Kong ppl Chinese... but we do. Almost all of the world do. All they know is Hong Kong now is in China, so everyone there is Chinese, no exception. Unless they asked us to call them differently.

The acceptance of both side is very important. Take a look at Vietnam, we were once 2 different country and just like China and Taiwan right now. The North was Communism while the South was Capitalism. We were united becuz of the war. Without the war, I must say, we are still different countries.

Why? Ppl in the North see the South as part of Vietnam. But the ppl in the South see themselves as a different country. Unless we agree on some point or ignore this issues, the problem is very hard to solve...

I tend to see everyone, not as a Vietnamese see a Chinese, Taiwanese, Australian, American, etc. but as friend to friend. I see Dawnice as a friend first, then a Chinese second. That's how I can still be friends with my Chinese classmates although we are fighting each other on the sea.

However, sad thing is that not everyone can look at ppl like that, some ppl in my country even go to the extreme that they hate every Chinese. I don't know if the same thing happens between China and Taiwan or not, but it's an example of the importance in the acceptance between the two.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:14 am 
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 2369
Location: Stalker!
aister wrote:
yes Chinese don't call Hong Kong ppl Chinese... but we do. Almost all of the world do. All they know is Hong Kong now is in China, so everyone there is Chinese, no exception. Unless they asked us to call them differently.

I never knew.
Quote:
The acceptance of both side is very important. Take a look at Vietnam, we were once 2 different country and just like China and Taiwan right now. The North was Communism while the South was Capitalism. We were united becuz of the war. Without the war, I must say, we are still different countries.

We were sort of united at one point. I wasn't alive, I can't say.
Quote:
Why? Ppl in the North see the South as part of Vietnam. But the ppl in the South see themselves as a different country. Unless we agree on some point or ignore this issues, the problem is very hard to solve...

Korea got torn up by war. If you ask either side, you wouldn't usually get very good reactions. My parents are still calling Korea by their old names, and I go wtf before realizing they're talking about either North or South. Will Korea be united again?
Quote:
I tend to see everyone, not as a Vietnamese see a Chinese, Taiwanese, Australian, American, etc. but as friend to friend. I see Dawnice as a friend first, then a Chinese second. That's how I can still be friends with my Chinese classmates although we are fighting each other on the sea.

Right, now shall we go by nationality or heritage? Or what the person believes he/she is? If we go by what the person believes they are, then do the rest of the world agree?
Quote:
However, sad thing is that not everyone can look at ppl like that, some ppl in my country even go to the extreme that they hate every Chinese. I don't know if the same thing happens between China and Taiwan or not, but it's an example of the importance in the acceptance between the two.

There's always people in Taiwan that want to unite with Mainland. There's always people in Mainland that want Taiwan as a part of China. Then there's people on both sides (mainly Taiwan) that oppose.

The two governments are different, the people on both sides are different, the culture is different, the written script has a minor difference, the spoken language is different (depends how you see it).

But we have all those differences within that large piece of land to the East, called China. 56 ethnic groups, 5 SARs and countless dialects all within one country. SARs are self-governmented, they aren't under the complete power of the Chinese Government. These SARs are Hong Kong, Macau, Tibet, Chongqing and... I can't remember

Who knows? Maybe Taiwan could fit in. But would the people give?

_________________
没有恩怨,只有胜负。胜者生,负者死。

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:04 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Fuyuki City
Gender: male
Quote:
Right, now shall we go by nationality or heritage? Or what the person believes he/she is? If we go by what the person believes they are, then do the rest of the world agree?

I usually make friends not based on nationality, appearance, gender, fetish or religion. Call me weird, but I have lots of black friends, and lots of bi, les or gay. I don't have any Muslim friend yet but I'm sure I don't have any trouble with them.

I'm a Vietnamese, I'm straight, I'm a lolicon and I'm an atheist, if someone respect those things, I will respect everything of him.

Sadly, not everyone on the world thinks so.
Quote:
There's always people in Taiwan that want to unite with Mainland. There's always people in Mainland that want Taiwan as a part of China. Then there's people on both sides (mainly Taiwan) that oppose.

And that's the main point, if most of the ppl on both side agree then it's not a problem. However, they don't.

The longer the situation lasts, the harder it will be, since the definition of "Taiwan is a seperate country" will be written deep inside the Taiwanese heart.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:56 am 
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 2369
Location: Stalker!
Yeh. Sometimes I wonder what would become of Taiwan if they established a new country. And what would become of relations between Mainland and Taiwan...

_________________
没有恩怨,只有胜负。胜者生,负者死。

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Taiwan-China ties issues: Can we be friends?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Fuyuki City
Gender: male
See? U still think Taiwan as a part of China, while the Taiwanese think that they are already a seperate country.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Copyright Tacticsoft Ltd. 2008   
Updated By phpBBservice.nl