It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 9/11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:09 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Okay, so first off i dont want anyone to like start thinking im some sort of idiot who does not care for those who died in 9/11....it was an awful awful tragedy, and may those responcible rot in hell, or being a bit of a metal head, rot in umm heaven? anyways...

Why is it that every year there are hundreds of posts about how the people in 9/11 (those who died) where heros, and that they will never be forgotten and all of this stuff.....

there are 2 major reasons i think this is kinda wrong....

firstly; Publicity.
all your all doing by going on about it, and speaking about what a horrible thing it was, and hating on those who did it. is giving the terrorists more of a standing, they did it to produce a reaction, by giving them that reaction this much further on in time, to them, is a victory.

Secondly; other disasters.
Hokay so, why is it that 9/11 where some 2500 people at the most died is remembered more than say the battle of the somme, where 1million people died.... in 9/11 the people who died had no choice it was shocking and horrible, but they did not say 'let me die to save others.' however those million people in the battle of the somme, every single one of them no matter the nationality put their lives on the line so that their loved ones, friends, and even people they had never met would be safe. surely that is more worthy of rememberance than 2500 people who died pointlessly. what is 2500 important but 1,000,000 is just a figure?

:D

"None of us are as smart as all of us."

"Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success."

Post subject: Re: 9/11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:38 am 
Captain
Captain
 WWW  Profile

I'm just gonna watch this topic, maybe add a little, because I'd like to see what other people think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:51 am 
Captain
Captain

unholyavenger wrote:
Hokay so, why is it that 9/11 where some 2500 people at the most died is remembered more than say the battle of the somme, where 1million people died.... in 9/11 the people who died had no choice it was shocking and horrible, but they did not say 'let me die to save others.' however those million people in the battle of the somme, every single one of them no matter the nationality put their lives on the line so that their loved ones, friends, and even people they had never met would be safe. surely that is more worthy of rememberance than 2500 people who died pointlessly. what is 2500 important but 1,000,000 is just a figure?

:D

9/11 appears to be better remembered because it was much more recent, and there were news cameras on the scene, recording the event.

However, the battle of the Somme, and WW1 and WW2 in general, are very well remembered, see Remembrance Sunday. As far as I know, people don't tend to wear poppies or anything with that meaning on the anniversary of 9/11. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:40 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

But then again could you not argue that the war on terrorism is the war that should be remembered, i realise its still going on, and 9/11 was one of the key events..... WW1/WW2 are well remembered however key events like the first day in the battle of the somme where some 20,000 people died for Britain alone, are not remembered.

Granted it was a long time ago, but it was also for a much larger cause.

Carl~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 am 
Private
Private

This may be a guess, but I'm betting that 9/11 is not as important in England and other European Countries as it means to us here in the states. It was like a sucker punch to us. "But once we could see clearly through our big black, man we lit up their world like the 4th of July"-Toby Keith

RIP and Never Forget September 11, 2001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

Well i think i will add a little something here i live in the USA and i think he has a point they the people of 9/11 did not fight for people yet they are called heros just because they died because of the terrorists yet many wars where millions died fighting are not nearly remembered as much as this event. I think we should remember more than just this single event and the other two national events that we celebrate.

i will try to watch as this thread advances i believe this will be a very good debate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:56 am 
Captain
Captain
 WWW  Profile

I think that if there are soldiers in war, who have families that maybe expect them to die one day, the person dying won't have much effect on their life, because they aren't home anyway, and not much will change.

The friends of the soldiers and people they know are usually fellow soldiers. If they and their fellow soldiers die, then only the families grieve. (No offense to the soldier's family, but an average civilian would know and meet a neighbor more than their husband in war.)

In 9/11 there could be people you know that died from the attacks. The people that died could have more acquaintances than fellow soldiers which leads to, technically, more emotional loss than in war. Yes, in the Battle of the Somme, probably 1,000,000 soldier's families and a couple friends felt loss, but in 9/11, every average city person knew their neighbor, their family, their coworkers, their friends, their bosses, their children's friends, their children's friend's parents, and all those people could feel loss of the person dying.

Also, I heard that the attack had many impacts on the area near the terrorist attacks. Many children had to go to psychologists because they felt a threat of security.

Imagine you had a fight with someone you loved, and they left to go to work at the pentagon or the world trade center. They wouldn't come back because of some guy. Think about how you'd feel. 9/11 is more demonstrated because of emotional effects, not physical effects. Buildings fall down and kill people everyday, but this day, the killing was intentional. It is different from normal collapses because it wasn't something natural, it was intentional and made people toss and turn in bed for the night.

I think I type too much :mrgreen: and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:38 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

I dont know if this is on topic. But, this kinda gives you an idea about the role of media in 9/11, and its aftermath. Probably the media was a reason?

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes ... 15920.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Im not going to quote because im tired and bleh ahahaha :D

Firstly just because a dad/Husband becomes a soldier, does not mean he doesnt effect the peoples lives, ESPECIALLY as the soldiers in the somme were not soldiers, but rather volenteers, who had little to no training, and had been drafted in the army, that means they had only been in the army a few weeks..... so therefore i would say a million deaths would cause alot more heartbreak than 3000ish as they were both almost the same circumstance, these men who died, were family men, who saw their families every day untill the last 2-3 weeks of their lives, surely that must be even worse? being tormented with the fact the one you love might die at any second and there is nothing you can do about it?

This point also makes the fact that all the people in 9/11 were just normal people, as most of the soldiers in the somme were also just normal people who had been consctripted/volenteered to join the army, they were bakers, cooks, dock workers that sort of thing not soldiers.

im sure there were very few arguments before their deaths, maybe 40 at most, whereas alot of people volenteered BECAUSE of arguments, considering there was 1million, i would have said at least 1000 of them argued and for that reason went off to fight.....

Another thing that was shocking about the world trade centre, was that it was said to be one of the strongest standing buildings possible, however it fell down very easily compaired to what was predicted, what it showed was that USA (and Britain where i live, for the Kings cross and the busses also happened close by and had the same effect) was not as safe as people thought, it was a blunder.... surly it would be better to hide things that make yourselves look vunerable, if the terrorists thought it did not do much, and achieved nothing then they may not try again, but by making such a huge deal out of it you are pretty much placing a trophy in their arms, as thats what they want.

Yeah i think i do too ahaha :)

Carl~

Edit;
mfreak wrote:
I dont know if this is on topic. But, this kinda gives you an idea about the role of media in 9/11, and its aftermath. Probably the media was a reason?

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes ... 15920.html

Yeah i agree that is one of the things that would be a reason that it is better remembered, the fact that everyone in the world knew what was happening, and there was pretty much live footage of it.... i guess that could have made people feel worse about it, and also alot of the battle of the sommes horrors were kept away from the public to keep people joining up.....But even so now we know the truth should it not change?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:07 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
Yeah i agree that is one of the things that would be a reason that it is better remembered, the fact that everyone in the world knew what was happening, and there was pretty much live footage of it.... i guess that could have made people feel worse about it, and also alot of the battle of the sommes horrors were kept away from the public to keep people joining up.....But even so now we know the truth should it not change?

It was not just the coverage. What I meant, was how the media for the first time was used as a tool for war propaganda. There was a surge of nationalism and patriotism, even in the media, right after 9/11. So propaganda + a very emotional reaction to something - means A LOT of publicity.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next