It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: end of the world??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm 
Major
Major
 WWW  Profile

trevor1601 wrote:
not the end of the world just the north pole is shifting it has happened before and wont wipe us all out. just some bad weather in abnormal places.
Pretty much said it all, weather has and will always be changing.. Doesn't mean that the world will end ;)

Most Crystals: 121
Highest Power: 212

Sensual bath time feat. Ferr3t
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:27 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

north pole shifting!?

*dials 1-800-AL-GORE*global warming! ZOMG
im sorry i couldn't resist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm 
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

A lot of stuff is happening besides natural disasters also, we have Libya, Greece, and Britain having unnatural problems. USA has had records in tornadoes, natural fires, and earthquakes for a long time. Were also home to the most murders done by civilians in the world. Detroit (my home town) Chicago, Pontiac, Flint, ect... Also Japan, India, Mexico, and the Middle East are having troubles as always. I don't think the world is going to end by any means I would take a crack at the option of the world needing to change soon though. Things can't go on the way they are for long. Natural disasters hitting while economic times are harsh just means we have more reason to look into how to prevent natural disasters...if its possible I've heard some cool science on how things like hurricanes and such can prevented-but i doubt any of it is really true.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

OmegaXII wrote:
or they ran out of rock to continue the calendar

This is actually one of the most sound arguments I've ever heard. I'm not gonna claim to know much, but from what I've gathered, the Mayan Calendar is simply ending a cycle, and they may or may not have planned to create a new one once the other one ends (they would've believed their civilization would last forever, as is a powerful empire's ego). But then things started to go downhill from there.

As for Nostradamus (again, I'm gonna stress that I'm going by what I know and what I'm interpreting), people say most of his prophecies were foreshadowing major events in our history. Wars, famine, and all that great stuff he predicted will catch our blissfully unaware populace off-guard, and will culminate in a larger set of cataclysms that will undoubtedly end the world. But the problem was his works, like any other literature piece can have its meaning bent and twisted once interpreted. It could be made to fit certain events with their mostly vague and undated predictions, and since famine, plagues and wars happen all the time in history, then they could be made to fit into having 'predicted' that particular event that's happening. Also, Nostradamus isn't the first prophet, there have been generations, whole cultures before him (Revelations anyone?) that have predicted some form of disaster, with similar vague predictions of a world gone mad, and set to happen in the near future (relative to their time). Most claimed either seemingly logical proof of these (Harold Camping for example, though not a good one, and Y2K) or the hand of God playing a part. So his predictions, when seen as a generalized statement rather than made to fit into our times, is made rather harmless but still a good reminder to play nice.

And now we go to the disasters. As I said, Nostradamus' predictions can be made to represent events happening in our era. let's face it, hurricanes and other violent non-seismic events can be blamed on global warming (if you believe global warming is a conspiracy theory, then why are you looking at 2012 as fact? At least it has major scientific backing). And there are at least 500 000 quakes a year; most aren't pronounced, but wouldn't you think that with that many earthquakes, one should prove disastrous at one point?

And of course, news outlets play a hand in this. The world bases its beliefs and view of the world upon either traditional sources or the news. The outlets tend to broadcast things that are seemingly disastrous or shocking more so than benevolent ones, as is their nature (reporting on recent events that may be relevant or interesting to the viewer). So people get the idea that the world is a pretty screwed up place, when if fact these things happen pretty far in between. If you mix that in with theories of 2012 and predictions, then you would absolutely believe that the world's ending.

tl;dr: Stop overthinking it and live your life.

So yeah, I'm the guy everyone eventually hates.

[Advice for the New Player Here]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

The environment of the earth has been changing its whole life cycle, the events of natural disasters are all due to global warming which has ALSO happened before in the earth's history, high levels of co2 in the atmosphere had been escaping through cracks in the ocean beds floor causing the sea's to "Bubble" This can been seen of the coast of north and south america in specific area's.

This does not signal the end of the world, just that the earth is changing. The earth was in a state as bad as it is now back then but for natural causes. But the earth healed itself by releasing salt which basically "Sponged" The gases. from two continental plates when pushing two together... This caused the creation of the Himalayas mountain range. The earth has been through worse and is still fine, don't been fooled into thinking the world will end.

Highest rank achieved so far: 10.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

all these big scientists saying that global warming and blah blah blah say that thousands of years ago the earth went through a climate change and got colder and caused an ice age then got warmer and melted all the ice. but yet these scientists arent smart enough to say that this is what is happening now???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

i can't wait for 2012 when i wake up i'm gonna laugh in peoples faces (if they thought the world was gonna end)

Highest rank 1
Most relics 10

http://www.funnyjunkz.com/funny-cat-pictures/funny-terrorist-cat/
click above to see your worst nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:08 pm 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

What happens if it dos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:10 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

well then i'll be in heaven laughing at the people who didn't believe in heaven =P

Highest rank 1
Most relics 10

http://www.funnyjunkz.com/funny-cat-pictures/funny-terrorist-cat/
click above to see your worst nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

so true

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next