It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Libya...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Laughed into my glass of coke and spilt it everywhere when I read 'nuking Libya'

Learn what a missile is

Quote:
I personally think we should stay the crap out, since for one it's none of our business. Two, if we fail to stop Gadaffi, we could have yet another war on our hands, JUST when we started recovering from our economic crisis.

Firstly, you're massively oversimplifying things. Military spending does not equal economic crisis.

Secondly, millions would have been massacred had we not intervened. People say it's "their business" but I fail to see the difference between them and us. We are all people, why discriminate who you help based on nationality? How is that different that doing the same thing for, let's say, race?

If somebody needs help, I will offer it. I believe this and I'm glad my government does too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I think oil is certainly a factor in this. Not to take it per se, but so that the prices of a barrel do not increase any further. The faster Libya is under a new democracy, the faster the production of oil is back to normal, the faster the prices stop increasing like they have been doing since the start of this revolutionary act.

I am not saying oil is the only reason why the West are helping, but it has most definitely been taken into account in making the decision to interfere. I'm sure the ulterior motive is to save the citizens from an inevitable massacre.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Pretty sure that even if we are 'oil thieving imperialists', the rebels are glad just to be alive. Oil's a reasonable payment for service rendered.

NB: Not saying I think we actually will monopolise their oil. Frankly I think drawing those parallels between Iraq and Libya is ridiculous.

Fundamental differences:
Libya: UN
Iraq: USA&co

Libya: Invited
Iraq: Uninvited

Libya: New government already in place - no outside intervention needed for regime change.
Iraq: Total intervention to the extent that Iraq effectively became a puppet state - This is what caused so much backlash against occupying forces.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:43 pm 
Captain
Captain

Anarchist69x wrote:
Personally the only thing I like about Gadaffi is that he has 400 virgin assassin women by his side at all times. That sounds awesome and I'm envious of that idea despite they're most likely forced into that job and do things they probably do not like either.

^^--- This.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The House of Commons (UK parliament) is having a debate on this right now, and they are expected to vote heavily in favour of the action. This basically means that David Cameron has done the right thing.

Anyway, my opinion: I think that the no fly zone is a good idea but where the military action should finish is up for debate. Should we target Gadaffi? Or are we just defending civilians? Personally I'm in the second camp, and I feel that is all the UN resolution allows.

IGN: jooke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Location: Look behind you. Theres a shadow. Look at where it is. It isnt me
FIrst of all there using smart bombs. That dictator is said to be the FBI (Federal Bureau I forget) 7 most wanted man. Osama Bin Laden :twisted: is the 1. No innocent people have been killed so far. I believe as long as they use smart bombs its ok. THESE ARE MOST OF THE FACTS. It has nothing to do with oil. Nothing to do with land. Barack Obama could've blown up Libya but hasn't for one thing, Not to kill innocent people. Im not sure about England. Im listening to the News right now for a matter of fact.

Retired player, trying to come back again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Quote:
No innocent people have been killed so far.

Hundreds, if not thousands have. Hell, most of Gaddafi's militia are forced into fighting for him. Many with threats against their lives or the lives of their families if they don't.

Quote:
THESE ARE MOST OF THE FACTS. It has nothing to do with oil. Nothing to do with land. Barack Obama could've blown up Libya but hasn't for one thing, Not to kill innocent people. Im not sure about England. Im listening to the News right now for a matter of fact.

Clearly you don't know that many of the facts. Obama's hesitation to come to a decision on the UN resolution delayed nations like the UK and France who tried to push it through earlier.

Obama has a lot of blood on his hands already.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 am 
Corporal
Corporal

i believe the allied response was wrong.
they fire missiles at anti-air defenses and civilians got killed
they could have just mediated between Gaddafi and the rebels

(but gaddafi is as stubborn as a rock but still i believe they should not have done what the have did)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

firesail wrote:
they could have just mediated between Gaddafi and the rebels

They tried, Gaddafi ignored them and continued with his plans to massacre the rebels. If the UN had not stepped in, there would have been a genocide by now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Rereading all this I have come to two conclusions:

1. maxattack, either learn reality or stay out of these threads.

2. I think I change my opinion on this. Now that I think about it, Gaddafi killing off innocent people seems just wrong. I just hope we don't go overboard on this. Once Gaddafi is out, so should we.

No signatures will be made.

Spam Day RPs have been thrown away.

Tittle as Maintenance Team and GM as been abandoned.

Good luck with the forums, you'll need it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next