It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Nokia focuses on Windows Phone 7
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

ADVANTAGES OF ANDROID..OVER SYMBIAN.
1) Great processing power based on modern processors. Androids use Cortex-A8 based processors which deliver a much better performance than Symbians with Arm 11 CPUs. Excellent examples are HTC Snapdragons (currently with 2nd generation) and Samsung Hummingbirds, both running at 1 GHz speed (versus 680MHz speed in Symbians). The gap in processing power is even larger with the newest dual-core CPUs based on Cortex-A9 architecture (like in Motorola Atrix). That makes Symbians to fall even farther behind Androids.

2) Screen resolution. Androids use higher screen resolutions with 800(854)x480 compared to Symbians (640×360). This allows more details to be displayed on screen, which is especially handy with web browsing (the extra information on screen saves the trouble to scroll too much). Furthermore, the recently announced Atrix brings even a higher qHD resolution (960×540)! That means 2.25 times more pixels on the phone display than those found in Symbian phones.

3) Memory (RAM). Everyone hates when the applications in a phone start to crash because of low memory. While 512MB RAM is normal for Androids, Symbians have to leave with 256MB RAM. Despite Nokia trying to optimize the memory usage, “out of memory” messages still happen in Symbian phones. On the contrary, some Androids reward you with even more RAM (768MB in Desire HD, 1GB in Atrix).

4) Graphics and games. Symbian devices use the Broadcom BCM2727 GPU, which while seems to perform pretty well against the old Adreno 200 chips (Nexus One), it falls behind the newest Android GPUs. Current Android devices come with powerful GPUs based on Adreno 205 (Desire HD) or PowerVR SGX540 cores. Furthermore, the newest Nvidia Tegra 2 chips bring even further boost in graphics performance, that is said to show 3-4 times better performance than Adreno 205 or SGX540! Nvidia has opened a special portal called Tegra Zone, where the owners of Android Tegra 2 devices can enjoy high quality gaming (as Nvidia describes the chip: “capable of extreme multitasking with the first mobile dual-core CPU, hardware accelerated Flash, and console-quality gaming with an ultra-low power GeForce GPU).

5) UI and customization. It has been pointed out by many analysts that Nokia UI is not modern enough to compete with Android/iOS. The limited customization of the homescreens and deep menus are all weaknesses of Symbian. On contrary, Androids offer huge customization of homescreens, menus, launchers, widgets that will satisfy vast majority of tastes. Either go with manufacturer customized UI (like HTC Sense with its 7 homescreens and widgets) or create a new one completely suited to your tastes. Popular launchers like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher are handy to create customized UIs.

6) Web Browser. The Android stock browser is the most popular out there because it does the job nicely. Starting form Android 2.2, it can support Adobe 10.1 full flash, that is being used in many websites. This enables full browsing experience, enables flash video streaming and playing flash games from websites like Kongregate. Symbian browser at this moment is a headache to use. For that reason, some users have jumped to use Opera, but it doesn’t support flash.

7) Multimedia. Thanks to powerful hardware and abundance of multimedia applications, playing videos, listening to music or playing with photos is fun on Android devices. Large screens (up to 4.3″), great displays (Super Amoleds), huge amount of media players, support for all popular audio/video formats, HDMI connectivity, DLNA media streaming – all these contribute to the media fun. Symbians have to limit themselves with lesser displays, rely on default media player (because there are hardly any good alternative applications) and miss DLNA connectivity.

8.) Applications Store. While Symbian OVI Store has grown recently (258% in 2010), it’s growth is lower compared to Android market (544% in 2010). The number of applications is also much higher in Android Market (200,000) compared to OVI (40,000). However, what the user notices most is how these app stores integrate with their phones. While OVI seems to be just a disconnected place to download applications, Android Market will synchronize your installed applications, will notify you of almost daily updates, will auto update them all if you wish (even simultaneously) and offer similar apps. Some alternative client applications for Android Market, like AppBrain, take it even further by allowing you to browse the applications on PC and schedule auto installs on your phone or allow customized selection of apps suitable for your needs.

9) Applications. As pointed above, there are more Android apps available than Symbian Apps. But what does this give us?
For one, you can do more things that you can’t do with Symbian, because Symbian doesn’t have similar application. For example, I’m using at least 5 Dutch Android apps that have no Symbian equivalents.
Next, there is the variety of applications. Thanks to more developers being involved with Android, we get a huge choice of applications. Try to count the number of applications available for Android and Symbian in a particular interest, say how many music or medical applications are available in each platform.
When we look at the applications outside the Apps Stores, they are most easy to install on Androids: just copy them to the phone and run it there. With Symbian, you have to deal with the complicated Symbian signing procedure. DailyMobile’s Symbian forum has probably a few thousands posts with desperate questions on this matter.
Finally, sharing apps on Androids is a breeze thanks to Apps Sharing applications and QR codes. There are multiple ways to do this, including Dropbox sharing and Barcode scanning.

10) Custom ROMs and Modding. This is a special area where Androids shine above other platforms. Professional modding communities like Cyanogen, XDA-World, or Modaco are immensely popular by creating new firmware with either new OS versions or improving those that come built-into the devices or by adding new features. For people who love to scqueeze the best out of their phones, Android truly offers the best possibilities.

11) OS updates. On average, every 6 month there is a new OS version in Android. While manufacturers have different ideas about updating their phones (HTC does an excellent job updating their phones), you can almost always update your phone to latest version thanks to custom ROMs. The fist Android phone (G1) that was released in 2008, was updated to Android 2.2 Froyo via Vodaphone and via custom ROMs. Symbian jumped from S60V5 to S^3 for touch devices, but none of those S60V5 devices was updated (probably because the hardware was crap).

12) Market trends.Some trends are obvious, like declining popularity of Symbian devices, falling Symbian and rising Android market shares, other manufacturers abandoning Symbian at all (like Samsung and SE), disposal of Symbian foundation, etc… It has come now to “One versus Many” where Symbian is alone (Nokia) against a team of players (Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, SE, LG, etc…). In January, the CES 2011 electronics show was all about Android devices (now even stronger with tablets invading the market), while Symbian was nowhere to be found. Maybe in MWC in February? Maybe… Taking too much time between announcing a phone and releasing it doesn’t help Symbian
at all (typical examples are Nokia N8 and E7). Contrary to this Androids keep it short, between 1 to 3 months (see DHD or Nexus S or LG Optimus 2X).

So, which devices have a brighter future? One doesn’t need to be an Oracle to point it in Androids direction…

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:28 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

There are dozens of Apple sites that will make the argument that Apple’s iOS platform is superior to Android, and they may even be right about a few of them. That being said, there are some really good reasons why I feel Android is better than Apple and the iPhone. In fact, I have five reasons, and you can find out what those reasons are by continuing to read after the break.

Open Source:

This is a very hotly debated aspect of Android, with many people associating this as something negative about Android. Many have argued that Android being open source leads to a lack of control by Google, and thus results in fragmentation. With that being said, however, I think the pros of the open source model vastly outweigh the cons, and here’s why.

Developers and manufacturers are free to implement and change Android in any way that they would like, which opens up the platform to tons of new ideas and innovations. Granted these changes aren’t always for the better, but the potential for a developer or manufacturer to create something unique and customized using Android is there – thanks to the fact it is open sourced.

Take the MIUI Android ROM for example. Thanks to Android being open source, developers are able to produce custom ROMs that look and function amazingly. Having the freedom to choose where and how to implement a platform simply offers much more flexibility, which is ultimately better for everyone.

Adobe Flash:

Many companies (including Adobe, ironically) are beginning to push for HTML5 to become the new standard. However, until that day comes, Flash still powers a lot of the Web’s multimedia. That being said, Android enjoys full Flash support with Android 2.2, whereas the only way to even watch Flash video on an iPhone is to use the recently released iOS version of Skyfire.

In all honesty, I’ve had very little problems using Flash on Froyo. I haven’t noticed any significant decreases in my phone’s performance, and doing something as trivial as watching a YouTube video where it’s embedded on a page is a nice feature. Flash may be a dying star, but while it’s still here, Android has it, and the iPhone does not.

More Carrier Options:

Many iPhone users can attest to their love/hate relationship with AT&T. As it stands, AT&T is the only carrier that has the iPhone, and I have read countless horror stories about their network. Constant dropped calls, lost service and delayed messages are just some of the gripes iPhone users haves with AT&T.

Even as I sit here writing this, I am staring at an AT&T cellular base station my roommate has to use to get a signal in our apartment. With Android, you have the option of just about every carrier in the US, including some of the little guys. Now granted, we may see the iPhone headed to Big Red sometime in the new year, and AT&T’s upcoming 4G network may solve a lot of the woes iPhone users deal with on a daily basis.

Fully Hackable:

I alluded to this a bit up above when discussing ROMs, but the hacking aspect is one area where Android severely trumps the iPhone. Perhaps it’s the Linux geek in me, but there’s something about being able to install custom recovery software, custom ROMs, and having root access to my device that just makes me feel more comfortable about using the device.

For example, I am using the popular CyanogenMod ROM for my Droid Incredible, but was having a problem with an application crashing and causing my phone to restart. I was unable to uninstall it conventionally (it had become corrupt somehow) but I was able to use my superuser privileges to remove it for good.

Another wonderful element of Android’s hacking aspect is the developer community. Forums such as XDA-Developers are a treasure trove of knowledgable individuals who are able to do some pretty incredible things with these phones. The number of custom ROMs, applications, tips, and tricks I have come across on that forum alone is countless, and it is the spirit of the developer community that is going to take Android to new heights.

Dozens of Phones to Choose From:

The iPhone is a beautiful piece of hardware, but what if you want an iOS phone but want something with a QWERTY keyboard? Or suppose you want something a little bigger, or something a little smaller, or something a little more cost effective?

With the iPhone, you’re stuck with just the iPhone. With Android, however, there are dozens of options available to consumers. You have the low-end phones for customers that want the Android experience but don’t want to spend a lot of money, the mid-range models for people that only want to spent $50 or $100, or power users who want the biggest and baddest devices, and have no problems spending $200 plus dollars.

With new Android phones coming out every week it seems, the potential for outstanding devices is massive. I think we’re only seeing a small fraction of what is possible, and I am very much looking forward to what Android 3.0 and the year 2011 have in store.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

It was not so long ago that the Windows Phone 7 OS came out for the recently released Windows Phone 7 units. But, there is no doubt that the Android OS has been here longer and if we put the Windows 7 OS in comparison with the Android OS, the latter would surely be better. The in fact quite a few reasons that the Android OS seems more competent and is simply still far better even after the release of the Windows 7 OS.

In fact at this time it would seem pointless comparing the Android OS with Windows 7 for smart phones at such an early stage. Windows Phone 7 still actually has to make its place in the market and prove its capability. Thus there is no chance that it could instantly beat the Android OS.

Taking the homescreens of the two OS for instance, Android had always been using the iOS approach for its smart phones where the homescreen could be filled with as many apps as a user could find. Thus in fact the Android phone could even hold up to seven different homescreens each being filled to brink with numerous Android apps, widgets and other useful tools.

The approach Microsoft took for the Windows Phone 7 homescreen was to merely include tiles over the homescreen which themselves would be filled with apps and other such stuff, while they could be updated via the web. This approach does not seem to be too unique; in fact it seems alike what Android has to offer through its widgets. Thus it seems that the OS system by Microsoft is already lacking the innovation needed.

Thus if we begin our further comparison between these OS, there are a lot of factors that make Android the better OS.

* Much more features included in the Android OS:

If we let alone consider the features, the Android OS is in fact overflowing with them and new ones keep on getting developed and are available for the Android users. Even though it is still new, the Windows Mobile 7 OS is at a serious lack of some new and unique features.

* The Android OS is more customizable:

It already seems that the Windows Mobile 7 OS is rather rigid and would not offer the users much flexibility. This means that it could not be matched with the customization options that Android OS users are able to benefit from.

* More apps available in the Android OS:

Having a hundred thousand apps through the Android OS is quite an immense number for Android users to choose from, with new ones regularly being added. When it comes to the Windows Mobile 7, the users would merely have hundred such apps to select from which is quite a minimal number as compared to what the Android OS has to offer. Thus judging from all of this, it is pretty obvious that currently Android is surely the better OS around

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2