It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

True or False?
True 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
False 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Decline either vote. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: Assumptions About The Bible
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 pm 
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

mrducky wrote:
alright let me rephrase.
"NO ONE, ON EARTH AS OF YET, CHRISTIAN OR NOT, SIMPLE FARMER OR DECORATED SCIENTIST, HAS YET DOCUMENTED/OBSERVED AND PRESENTED EVIDENCE FOR A RABBIT CHEWING CUD."
is that a little clearer? scientists represent the epitome of human understanding of the natural world. sorry if i rely on experts who dedicate their entire life to understanding and collating facts to get a clearer understanding of the bigger picture of how this universe works. next time, ill refer to an uneducated preacher to tell me EVILution is of the satan and is a lie made up by scientists. btw there are many christian scientists. while they might not be perfect, they are currently the only way i can experience the world around me, of course i have to trust them, to not trust them means im either insane or well... thats about it, to not trust your memories and senses is not an option.

I wasn't calling into question who has observed or not observed rabbits chewing cud; I was asking how you know either way. I agree that you have to trust your senses and memory in order to function or be rational at all. The problem is, admitting that does not explain why you should be able to trust them and how your worldview accounts for their reliability. Although, while we're talking about scientists, did you know that science couldn't exist in your worldview?

mrducky wrote:
wt.f is this? the matrix? let us assume humans are falliable and leave it at that. no need to conclude that we should take the blue pill cause all of our senses are so unreliable that you are either reading a bible or you might be defecating onto a neutron star while firing a laser out of your mouth.

Well yes, it is reduced to a matrix-type situation, in your worldview (not mine). It's true that we have to assume that our senses and memories are reliable and actually correspond to the way reality is, but that's not the question. The question, like I said above, is about how your worldview accounts for this. It's arbitrary to assume that our senses are generally reliable but fallible, because this conclusion is inconsistent with your worldview. Therefore, it's irrationality of a high degree.

mrducky wrote:
get me a person who is sharp and collected and one whose senses are dulled/distorted eg. alcohol impaired/LSD hallucinated/marijuana joy. now lets put them in an evironment where there is danger ever present. im putting my money on the unimpaired sensory guy.

This argument is circular. In order to be able to know whose senses are reliable and whose are not, you would have to assume that yours are. Furthermore, you would have to assume this to conclude who actually survived this theoretical situation. Your argument is basically, "I know that my senses are generally reliable because if they were not I would not survive. I know that I would not survive because a person with sharp senses is more likely to survive than a person with dull senses. I know that because I can use my senses to observe this." Therefore, you arbitrarily assume that your senses are reliable even though this is inconsistent with your worldview.

mrducky wrote:
but they are. everything is a chemical reaction. i either dont understand your point or you lack coherant understanding in both biology and chemistry.
nerve signals are merely the Ca+ ions jumping from either side of the neurons layer, synapses are covered by chemical signals. thinking and actions are all down to chemical (reception causes chemical change) -> charge (change sparks off polarisation of the nerves a "charge" is formed which are just calcium ions) -> chemical (signal reaches end of axon, becomes chemical to pass the synapse gap) -> chemical (received as chemical becomes a charge once more)

I admit that here the fault was mine for not communicating clearly. What I meant to suggest was that what you 'see' 'hear' 'feel' and so on could merely be the side effects of a chemical reaction that has nothing to do those things; perhaps a chemical reaction that regulates body temperature, for example. Notice also that all the great scientific information you know about nerve signals, you obtained by using your senses, the reliability of which is unfounded in your worldview.

mrducky wrote:
why not? logical fallacy much? non sequitir? chemical reactions are the base coding for our DNA, DNA alone can hold enough information for the several billion different combinations of reactions that make up life. perhaps humans cant understand it fully, but im pretty sure we can understand it pretty well. speak for yourself when you say that the brain cannot comprehend reality or the universe (if you want, i would write you an essay on the topic of reality. it would be expository, i need practice for english exams anyways, might as well put a bit of philosophical in too <3)

In your worldview, every thought you have is because of an electrochemical reaction in your brain. How do you know that these electrochemical reactions produce thoughts that are actually rational? If you think something is rational or irrational, it's because of chemical reactions in your brain. For example, you think a non sequitir (which my statement was not) does not follow logically from the premises. However, how do you know that the chemical reactions in your brain are telling you what's actually rational? Elaboration on this at the end of my post.

Since our thoughts are merely the products of chemical reactions, there's no reason to think those chemical reactions produce accurate depictions of how things work or how things are.

mrducky wrote:
i throw a spoon at the sand, i can accurately tell you that the sand will give way a little until friction and resistance stop the spoons acceleration and thus force. am i accurate? you bet your kidneys i am. in fact, i challenge your notiong right now. i have a coin, based on past observation and well... common sense, i can tell you that when i flip it, it will be forced to comply with this universes physics,
it will.
rotate until halted to a stop, in this case, my table will act as a solid resistance and air will have a minute effect of slowing the spin.
it will.
land as head or tails as my table is slightly slanted meaning a perfect balance is imporbable to the extreme
it will not.
turn into a fish
it will not become a black hole
it will not become a ggssdfgdfijf (this is a specified humanoid from a different universe)

lo and behold, it was tails. and my understanding, although not complete has allowed me to obtain an accurate depiction of how things really are. please dont tell me it became a fish but my eyes lied to me

This section in particular is full of arbitrariness and inconsistency. First of all, you're trusting both your senses and your memory, and I've demonstrated why that's irrational in your worldview. But you also set me up for a second point, my earlier statement about science not making sense in your worldview. Science is dependent on something called uniformity, the principle that laws of physics remain constant throughout time and space. Because of uniformity, if an experiment takes place under the same conditions, we will get the same results. However, there is no basis for uniformity in your worldview. If the universe is the product of randomness, then you cannot explain why laws of physics exist, much less stay constant. Things change over time; so why don't laws of physics? Things are different from place to place; so why aren't laws of physics? You have no basis for believing that the laws of physics will remain constant. Therefore, science is impossible and meaningless in your worldview.

mrducky wrote:
because you need a dictionary. i know what mutually exclusive is. i use it both in maths (probability events) and english (if i want to sound like a pompous smarty pants, i believe ive used it more then 3 times in this forum). have you read orwell? if you want true to equal false simply because you want to believe that true equals false then this place has no discussion, because even if the bible is inaccurate or false you can simply say it is true and refuse to believe otherwise because everything is a lie. even the cake is a lie. so... if you want to continue to remain adamant and unmoving and state that incorrect = correct and true = false then i dont really want to dumb myself down for you.

I certainly do know what mutually exclusive means, and I do understand what a contradiction is; but I'm asking you why a proposition can't be both true and false, or neither. Outside of the biblical worldview, there's no real reason to believe this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:22 pm 
Captain
Captain

GeneralKajafelq wrote:
mrducky wrote:
alright let me rephrase.
"NO ONE, ON EARTH AS OF YET, CHRISTIAN OR NOT, SIMPLE FARMER OR DECORATED SCIENTIST, HAS YET DOCUMENTED/OBSERVED AND PRESENTED EVIDENCE FOR A RABBIT CHEWING CUD."
is that a little clearer? scientists represent the epitome of human understanding of the natural world. sorry if i rely on experts who dedicate their entire life to understanding and collating facts to get a clearer understanding of the bigger picture of how this universe works. next time, ill refer to an uneducated preacher to tell me EVILution is of the satan and is a lie made up by scientists. btw there are many christian scientists. while they might not be perfect, they are currently the only way i can experience the world around me, of course i have to trust them, to not trust them means im either insane or well... thats about it, to not trust your memories and senses is not an option.

I wasn't calling into question who has observed or not observed rabbits chewing cud; I was asking how you know either way. I agree that you have to trust your senses and memory in order to function or be rational at all. The problem is, admitting that does not explain why you should be able to trust them and how your worldview accounts for their reliability. Although, while we're talking about scientists, did you know that science couldn't exist in your worldview?

hmmm how about this, you drop that whole "worldview" nonsense and use a proper term. the method in which you use it both precisely and generally means i have trouble pin pointing its exact purpose other then to make this argument messy and a basic talk not about the validity of the bible but rather "you are living in a make believe world, i dont exist, neither do you, everything is a turtle"

mrducky wrote:
wt.f is this? the matrix? let us assume humans are falliable and leave it at that. no need to conclude that we should take the blue pill cause all of our senses are so unreliable that you are either reading a bible or you might be defecating onto a neutron star while firing a laser out of your mouth.

Well yes, it is reduced to a matrix-type situation, in your worldview (not mine).
again with your worldview thing, who says that your world view isnt mine? who says your opinion differs? how can you be so sure that our "worldview" differs. see what happens if you simply exclude the possibility of definites? this entire post becomes nothing but a farce, a nonsensical talk about how everything is wrong and everything you type is wrong. if you think they are right then you are being deceived. drop it. if your statement is true, that all of our senses are being deceived then it is a matrix situation. so stop firing a laser from your mouth.

It's true that we have to assume that our senses and memories are reliable and actually correspond to the way reality is, but that's not the question. The question, like I said above, is about how your worldview accounts for this. It's arbitrary to assume that our senses are generally reliable but fallible, because this conclusion is inconsistent with your worldview. Therefore, it's irrationality of a high degree.

what is my worldview? why do you keep claiming to know it. i pointed out my opinion which isnt necessarily that "worldview" nonsense you keep talking about
i havent typed out "my worldview is..."

mrducky wrote:
get me a person who is sharp and collected and one whose senses are dulled/distorted eg. alcohol impaired/LSD hallucinated/marijuana joy. now lets put them in an evironment where there is danger ever present. im putting my money on the unimpaired sensory guy.

This argument is circular. In order to be able to know whose senses are reliable and whose are not, you would have to assume that yours are.

i know they are currently not impaired other then by slight fatigue. i know this by my senses telling me. ;) again. one must asssume that senses are reliable otherwise we are in matrix world and then this entire topic is a farce. impairing them makes them less reliable. that is the logical conclusion

Furthermore, you would have to assume this to conclude who actually survived this theoretical situation. Your argument is basically, "I know that my senses are generally reliable because if they were not I would not survive. I know that I would not survive because a person with sharp senses is more likely to survive than a person with dull senses. I know that because I can use my senses to observe this." Therefore, you arbitrarily assume that your senses are reliable even though this is inconsistent with your worldview.

i make the observation that drunk drivers are more likely to be in accidents then unimpaired "normal" drivers. i accept there are some "normal" drivers that do get into accidents but drunk driving greatly increases the chance of death or injury. as i cannot relatively compare, i must assume that my eyes are not jellyfish and that they are actually what they are. eyes. eyes cannot lie to me, they merely convert light energy into chemical energy. if my brain is faulty then who cares, everyone's is to a degree. once more, eff off with that world view nonsense, i have yet to meet anyone who uses such a term. and yet you want to end all your paragraphs by pointing out something about me that you dont know about is wrong

mrducky wrote:
but they are. everything is a chemical reaction. i either dont understand your point or you lack coherant understanding in both biology and chemistry.
nerve signals are merely the Ca+ ions jumping from either side of the neurons layer, synapses are covered by chemical signals. thinking and actions are all down to chemical (reception causes chemical change) -> charge (change sparks off polarisation of the nerves a "charge" is formed which are just calcium ions) -> chemical (signal reaches end of axon, becomes chemical to pass the synapse gap) -> chemical (received as chemical becomes a charge once more)

I admit that here the fault was mine for not communicating clearly. What I meant to suggest was that what you 'see' 'hear' 'feel' and so on could merely be the side effects of a chemical reaction that has nothing to do those things; perhaps a chemical reaction that regulates body temperature, for example. Notice also that all the great scientific information you know about nerve signals, you obtained by using your senses, the reliability of which is unfounded in your worldview.

reliability is effing obvious. a bright light has nothing to do with temperature. a sound has nothing to do with temperature, of course you feel a temperature change, you are grabbing at straws here, concede that you have no point. there is no information that supports the contrary, nothing either of us have learnt or experienced that wires touch sensitive nerves to optical nerves. if you want to simply work off unbased assumptions then i and i think many others contend that the bible is a drink bottle. any arguments against such a notion will be dismissed as simply as "they are wrong". FYI, next time dont put the topic as the "bible" if you are going to be this offtopic and address something vague, put something vague in the topic

mrducky wrote:
why not? logical fallacy much? non sequitir? chemical reactions are the base coding for our DNA, DNA alone can hold enough information for the several billion different combinations of reactions that make up life. perhaps humans cant understand it fully, but im pretty sure we can understand it pretty well. speak for yourself when you say that the brain cannot comprehend reality or the universe (if you want, i would write you an essay on the topic of reality. it would be expository, i need practice for english exams anyways, might as well put a bit of philosophical in too <3)

In your worldview, every thought you have is because of an electrochemical reaction in your brain. How do you know that these electrochemical reactions produce thoughts that are actually rational? If you think something is rational or irrational, it's because of chemical reactions in your brain. For example, you think a non sequitir (which my statement was not) does not follow logically from the premises. However, how do you know that the chemical reactions in your brain are telling you what's actually rational? Elaboration on this at the end of my post.

lets see your logic.
brains are just chemical reactions
chemical reactions cannot comprehend universe blah blah blah
brains cannot comprehend universe blah blah

A are just B
B cannot comprehend X
A cannot comprehend X

Humans are just animals
Animals cannot comprehend <how a toaster works>
Humans cannot comprehend <how a toaster works>

premise is over simplified, cause is unjust, conclusion is borderline mentally (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..). non sequitir. oh and its a strawman because you yourself know the brain is somewhat more then merely chemical reactions, its structure and makeup point to something a bit more then
2 H2 +O2 ---> H20

youll elaborate at the end, ill guess ill respond at the end.

*edit, you didnt elaborate
and no, i dont know if they are rational/irrational, thats why some people in the mental institutions still maintain that are not insane despite seeing people and things and killing people and things. once again, the assumption is that this is not a matrix world, my senses are reliable enough to tell me that im still rational. even if im not.

Since our thoughts are merely the products of chemical reactions, there's no reason to think those chemical reactions produce accurate depictions of how things work or how things are.

mrducky wrote:
i throw a spoon at the sand, i can accurately tell you that the sand will give way a little until friction and resistance stop the spoons acceleration and thus force. am i accurate? you bet your kidneys i am. in fact, i challenge your notiong right now. i have a coin, based on past observation and well... common sense, i can tell you that when i flip it, it will be forced to comply with this universes physics,
it will.
rotate until halted to a stop, in this case, my table will act as a solid resistance and air will have a minute effect of slowing the spin.
it will.
land as head or tails as my table is slightly slanted meaning a perfect balance is imporbable to the extreme
it will not.
turn into a fish
it will not become a black hole
it will not become a ggssdfgdfijf (this is a specified humanoid from a different universe)

lo and behold, it was tails. and my understanding, although not complete has allowed me to obtain an accurate depiction of how things really are. please dont tell me it became a fish but my eyes lied to me

This section in particular is full of arbitrariness and inconsistency. First of all, you're trusting both your senses and your memory, and I've demonstrated why that's irrational in your worldview.

its rational because i have nothing else to trust with. what is irrational is trusting nothing and killing yourself. and next time you post, ill ignore the word "worldview" as the way you use it means i have trouble actually responding to it.

ive backed up and supported my senses and my memory, they just complemented each other when chance wise and possibility wise, they should have been conflicting. that coin could have become any known object to me (perhaps even unknown) but it came up as tails and remained a coin. i flipped it again and once again it is tails, of the trillions of possibilities my senses could have returned, i got tails.

But you also set me up for a second point, my earlier statement about science not making sense in your worldview. Science is dependent on something called uniformity, the principle that laws of physics remain constant throughout time and space. Because of uniformity, if an experiment takes place under the same conditions, we will get the same results. However, there is no basis for uniformity in your worldview. If the universe is the product of randomness,
since when? it is obviously held to physical laws which are constant. there is randomness and there is chance but every one knows that even in systems deep into entropy there are still pockets of order just that the overall general trend is disorder.
then you cannot explain why laws of physics exist, much less stay constant. Things change over time; so why don't laws of physics?
again, baseless assertion. based on ignorance rather then anything else.
things change over time.
laws of physics is a thing
laws of physics change over time

ill counter with
things change over time
god is a thing
God changes over time. (he now goes by the name "satan") suck that baseless assertions, god is actually satan. not my 'worldview' as i believe neither exist but an assertion i doubt you can ignore other then in ignorance in order to maintain your "worldview".

Things are different from place to place; so why aren't laws of physics?
because they are a constant.

You have no basis for believing that the laws of physics will remain constant. Therefore, science is impossible and meaningless in your worldview.

my basis is that all evidence known to me, limited, flawed as it is, points to a constant universe with science as sound. just because my experience is limited or flawed, doesnt mean it is wrong. it means i am human

i do have basis for believing they are constant, everything around me points to them being constant. that is a basis to maintain that they are constant. there is no basis to believe they are not constant. indeed you need 'faith' to believe otherwise.

mrducky wrote:
because you need a dictionary. i know what mutually exclusive is. i use it both in maths (probability events) and english (if i want to sound like a pompous smarty pants, i believe ive used it more then 3 times in this forum). have you read orwell? if you want true to equal false simply because you want to believe that true equals false then this place has no discussion, because even if the bible is inaccurate or false you can simply say it is true and refuse to believe otherwise because everything is a lie. even the cake is a lie. so... if you want to continue to remain adamant and unmoving and state that incorrect = correct and true = false then i dont really want to dumb myself down for you.

I certainly do know what mutually exclusive means, and I do understand what a contradiction is; but I'm asking you why a proposition can't be both true and false, or neither. Outside of the biblical worldview, there's no real reason to believe this.

BECAUSE THEY ARE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE
do i need to draw a Venn diagram? if they arent, then there is overlap where both sides can co exist but MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE means... nah, i actually ceebs. if ignorance is your forte, ill let you claim the number one spot. to quote orwell "WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

asking why yes doesnt equal no has earned you the title of moron

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm 
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

It seems that the vast majority of your response is merely questioning the definition of 'worldview.' I'll take responsibility for this, since I didn't define that term ahead of time. However, you'll see that my argument snaps into place once I define this term. A worldview is a network of our most basic beliefs about reality in light of which all observations are interpreted. A person's specific worldview can be difficult to label because similar worldviews can very slightly from person to person.

The second most important aspect of your response seems to be that you think I accept the absurd conclusions that your worldview leads to (for example, that knowledge and science are impossible). However, my worldview is very different from yours. I hold a biblical worldview. I believe that the Bible is completely true, that there are certain laws of logic that govern our thinking, that there is uniformity in nature, that our senses and memories are basically reliable, and that our minds are capable of understanding the universe, at least to a degree. Laws of logic are a reflection of the way God thinks. The universe is being upheld by God, who is immaterial, omnipresent, unchanging, and self-consistent. Laws of logic are also immaterial, universal, and invariable. Since God is truth and all truth is in God, truth must be self-consistent (non-contradictory). For similar reasons, we can expect the way God upholds the universe to be consistent and law-like. God has also promised us explicitly that there will be a degree of uniformity in nature (Genesis 8:22; Jeremiah 33:20). Since we are fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image, we can expect our senses and memories to be generally reliable, and we can expect that our minds will be able to understand the universe to a degree.

However, your worldview is a secular one. You also believe in laws of logic, uniformity of nature, the reliability of our senses and memories, and that our minds can understand the universe to some degree. However, your atheistic/secular worldview cannot account for these things. You likely believe in things like materialism and empiricism (both of which make knowledge impossible), which further riddles your position with inconsistencies and arbitrariness.

There are a couple of specific points worth addressing in your post.
mrducky wrote:
things change over time.

ill counter with
things change over time
god is a thing
God changes over time.

This is a false analogy. I have a good reason to believe that God does not change; He said so in His word, and if His word were not true, then we couldn't know anything. I also have a good reason to believe that laws of physics do not arbitrarily change, because an unchanging God is upholding the universe by His power, we would expect the universe to have uniformity to it. Furthermore, God has promised that this will be so. However, you cannot explain why laws of physics remain constant. Moreover, you cannot even know that laws of physics remain constant. To do so, you would have to assume that there is uniformity in nature, that the future will reflect the past. But for you, this would be an arbitrary assumption.

mrducky wrote:
its rational because i have nothing else to trust with.

Unfortunately, this is not a justification. You are indeed forced to rely on your senses and memory, on laws of logic, and on uniformity in nature in order to know anything, but this doesn't justify your beliefs. You are arbitrarily and inconsistently borrowing biblical principles when you rely on these things, because they are inexplicable in your own secular worldview. Thus, you're reduced to equality with the critic of air. The critic of air must use air to breathe and trust that his voice will be carried through the air so that his argument can be heard. In order for him to be able to make an argument against air, it must be wrong. Likewise you're relying on biblical principles when you argue against the Bible. In order for you to be able to make an argument against the Bible, it must be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:37 am 
Captain
Captain

GeneralKajafelq wrote:
It seems that the vast majority of your response is merely questioning the definition of 'worldview.'

not really, just like you add onto the end of each paragraph that my worldview is incorrect, i get confuzzled each time and reply with that i am confuzzled

I'll take responsibility for this, since I didn't define that term ahead of time. However, you'll see that my argument snaps into place once I define this term. A worldview is a network of our most basic beliefs about reality in light of which all observations are interpreted.

but the point you make is that the worldview can never be trusted since "blah blah all senses are just chemicals lulz so that means nothing can be trusted I LIEK NON SEQUITIRS"

but you are right, the definition does help considerably.

A person's specific worldview can be difficult to label because similar worldviews can very slightly from person to person.

The second most important aspect of your response seems to be that you think I accept the absurd conclusions that your worldview leads to (for example, that knowledge and science are impossible). However, my worldview is very different from yours. I hold a biblical worldview. I believe that the Bible is completely true, that there are certain laws of logic that govern our thinking, that there is uniformity in nature, that our senses and memories are basically reliable, and that our minds are capable of understanding the universe, at least to a degree. Laws of logic are a reflection of the way God thinks. The universe is being upheld by God, who is immaterial, omnipresent, unchanging, and self-consistent. Laws of logic are also immaterial, universal, and invariable.

cool, but using your argument, says who? who says they are immaterial, universal and invariable, that is merely your world view, even if it is mine, who is to say that they are. i notion that the laws of physics are immaterial universal and invariable, note that this "everything is subjective" leaves everything to interpretation.

indeed i notion that i am immaterial, universal and invariable. independant of my worldview and just as a statement, there is no counter to the above.

Since God is truth and all truth is in God, truth must be self-consistent (non-contradictory).

oh so the bible (word of god) isnt wrong because of contradicting evidence, evidence is wrong because of contradicting bible... oic. thanks for enlightening me one step closer to a rage quit

For similar reasons, we can expect the way God upholds the universe to be consistent and law-like.

step one of upholding consistency in a consistent way
DO NOT GIVE THE PEOPLE A BOOK FOR THEM TO INTERPRET. all interpretations are different due to different "worldviews" as such, there are often conflicting interpretations (see the approximately 38 000 denominations of christianity)

God has also promised us explicitly that there will be a degree of uniformity in nature (Genesis 8:22; Jeremiah 33:20).

degree =/= is

Since we are fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image, we can expect our senses and memories to be generally reliable, and we can expect that our minds will be able to understand the universe to a degree.

we are also omnipotent, omniscient and invisible too. oh wait, circular logic here, must i point it out? surely if you could spot mine, you can spot yours.

However, your worldview is a secular one. You also believe in laws of logic, uniformity of nature, the reliability of our senses and memories, and that our minds can understand the universe to some degree. However, your atheistic/secular worldview cannot account for these things.

O RLY? which ones cant they account for? Uniformity is because the universe has set laws, to argue otherwise would be to ask why there isnt a universe, im sure elsewhere there isnt this universe. Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings based on argument accountability, reliability of our senses and memories is based upon the fact that humans survived due to brain not brawn so the ability to remember when to run and what not to eat has importance. senses i have already covered are incredibly important and without them, survival is obviously impeded (common sense) natural selection weeds out impotent senses. understanding the universe is quite abstract a concept, if it is "how things work" then even the most basic animals know that spraying your gametes everywhere is important.

You likely believe in things like materialism and empiricism (both of which make knowledge impossible), which further riddles your position with inconsistencies and arbitrariness.
again i beg to differ, how? explain how rather then make crude statements like me. im not as bright as you make me out to be.

There are a couple of specific points worth addressing in your post.
mrducky wrote:
things change over time.

ill counter with
things change over time
god is a thing
God changes over time.

This is a false analogy. I have a good reason to believe that God does not change; He said so in His word,

things change over time
god's word is a thing
god's word changes over time.

even if he said it was unchanging, even if he said he was unchanging, i can still use that argument as long as time exists. regardless whether or not god is affected since last i checked laws of physics dont have an inbuilt self destruct after X hours

and if His word were not true, then we couldn't know anything.

your worldview. and once again wrong, it doesnt follow, if bible is not true, humans cant know anything.

I also have a good reason to believe that laws of physics do not arbitrarily change, because an unchanging God is upholding the universe by His power, we would expect the universe to have uniformity to it.

unless he feels like floods out of no where or starts throwing fire at gomorrah. until then, there is uniformity. wait. lol i just figured out a counter. miracles point out that god doesnt like a uniform universe and enjoys prodding it. *poke*

Furthermore, God has promised that this will be so. However, you cannot explain why laws of physics remain constant.

and as you can see above, neither can you. ill give it a shot nonetheless.
arguing that the laws could be different or not be constant is arbitary as this universe wouldnt be here if it were not so. one could point to the multiverse theory which despite having zero supporting evidence is interesting enough to be considered. perhaps there is a universe where gravity is not constant, but that universe is no more and anything in it cannot ponder such things as "why arent our laws of physics constant?"

Moreover, you cannot even know that laws of physics remain constant. To do so, you would have to assume that there is uniformity in nature, that the future will reflect the past. But for you, this would be an arbitrary assumption.

no, the nonsensical assumption is to assume that despite the past being uniform in nature, the future will be fantastical and magical and we all get to fire lasers from our mouths while defecating on a neutron star.

mrducky wrote:
its rational because i have nothing else to trust with.

Unfortunately, this is not a justification. You are indeed forced to rely on your senses and memory, on laws of logic, and on uniformity in nature in order to know anything, but this doesn't justify your beliefs. You are arbitrarily and inconsistently borrowing biblical principles when you rely on these things,

oooh, do tell me which biblical principles i rely on. because when i have a principle and the bible has a principle it has to be the bible's principle. just like the 10 odd religions before christianity noting the golden rule, because the bible has the golden rule within it, the golden rule is a biblical principle, oh do tell me how the bible lays claims to principles, i want to know how bronze age goat herders lay such copyright claims on something as abstract and vague as principle. OH DO TELL.

because they are inexplicable in your own secular worldview. Thus, you're reduced to equality with the critic of air. The critic of air must use air to breathe and trust that his voice will be carried through the air so that his argument can be heard.

the critic could be a fish, sound travels better in water. dont bother responding to this, i just want to be a fish

In order for him to be able to make an argument against air, it must be wrong. Likewise you're relying on biblical principles when you argue against the Bible.
as i said before, im not too bright, tell me which principles i use, this is the same as with the worldview thing, you are not specific and too general, its excellent if you want to have escape paths from argumental failures since due to its generality you can claim and interpret otherwise.

In order for you to be able to make an argument against the Bible, it must be wrong.
again, specificity. please. i beg of you. the sentence above is fraught with so much nonsense im scared.
i contend that in order for you to make an argument with the bible, it must be wrong. do i explain how? do i explain why? no. i stick to my polemic unwaveringly and refuse to believe otherwise.

the O RLY owl will pop up anytime you make an extreme baseless claim or you say something exceptionally stupid. the two groups are not mutually exclusive.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 pm 
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

Before I respond specifically to a few points, it seems that some clarification on the place of evidence and worldviews would be helpful. First of all, evidence means nothing on its own. It cannot 'speak for itself' as many seem to believe. Evidence must be interpreted through a person's worldview. To say that evidence contradicts something is really to say that your interpretation of evidence contradicts something. So your statement "oh so the bible (word of god) isnt wrong because of contradicting evidence, evidence is wrong because of contradicting bible" is a bit misleading. Since the biblical worldview is the only worldview that can make sense of rationality and science, then yes, an interpretation of evidence that contradicts the Bible is necessarily a wrong interpretation.

Also, a rational worldview must contain something called an ultimate standard. An ultimate standard is a belief that all other beliefs rest on. I will demonstrate why this is necessary. If you have a certain belief (p), and I ask you how you know that p is true, you will appeal to another proposition (q) to support that belief. If I ask you how you know that q is true, you will defend that proposition with another (r). If I kept questioning, you would eventually have to come to your ultimate standard; your most foundational belief which all your other beliefs rely on. We'll call it s.

Now, the killer question I could ask is, "How do you know that your ultimate standard (s) is true?" There are three bad ways to answer this question. First, you could say, "I know that s is true because it follows from t," However this would mean that s is not really your ultimate standard. The second way you could try to prove your ultimate standard would be to say, "I know that s is true because it implies that r is true," However, this is fallacious because it is affirming the consequent. The third bad way to answer would be to say, "I don't really know that s is true, I just accept it," However, if you do not know that your ultimate standard is true, then you cannot know anything at all. We are forced to conclude that an ultimate standard must somehow prove itself. Without going in-depth, the Bible can do this, because it is the only ultimate standard that makes knowledge possible, while others are arbitrary or self-defeating. To make an argument against the Bible you would have to presuppose that it is true.

mrducky wrote:
cool, but using your argument, says who? who says they are immaterial, universal and invariable, that is merely your world view, even if it is mine, who is to say that they are. i notion that the laws of physics are immaterial universal and invariable, note that this "everything is subjective" leaves everything to interpretation.

Apart from the biblical worldview we could not know that laws of logic are universal and invariant. However, if laws of logic are not immaterial then they are material; we could eat them, trip on them, or change them, and because of entropy, they would be wearing down slowly. Furthermore, they would not be universal, since they would just apply to where they physically are, effectively rendering them useless. Laws of logic must be universal in order for them to be useful; otherwise, we could not know that they apply in places that we have not tested them in. If someone said they had found an island where contradictions are possible, we would have no logical reason to dismiss their claim. Additionally, if they were not invariant, then we could make no rational predictions about the future, because the laws of logic might change, and if someone said that contradictions had started happening to them, we would have no basis for dismissing that claim. So in order for us to really be able to reason, the laws of logic must be immaterial, universal, and invariant. Only the biblical worldview can account for these kinds of laws, whether they're laws of logic or laws of nature.

mrducky wrote:
Uniformity is because the universe has set laws

How do you account for such laws in your worldview?

mrducky wrote:
Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings based on argument accountability

Why should abstract things exist? Furthermore, how could you define 'argument accountability' without presupposing laws of logic? This sentence basically seems to mean "Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings based on logic"

mrducky wrote:
reliability of our senses and memories is based upon the fact that humans survived due to brain not brawn so the ability to remember when to run and what not to eat has importance. senses i have already covered are incredibly important and without them, survival is obviously impeded (common sense) natural selection weeds out impotent senses.

How do you know that impotent senses impede survival? Senses could just be illusions, products of chemical reactions that have nothing to do with eyes or ears or nerves. Plenty of organisms (bacteria) do not really have "senses" as we do, yet they far outnumber us humans. How do you know that we are not bacteria with our senses being an illusory side effect of a chemical reaction?

mrducky wrote:
understanding the universe is quite abstract a concept

Understand meaning, yes, to know how the universe is and how it works. Why should one chemical accident be able to comprehend another chemical accident?

I'll also explain why materialism and empiricism are untenable positions. Materialism is the belief that matter and energy are all we have. If this were true, then we could not have laws of nature nor laws of logic, because these are not material things, as I demonstrated above. So, without laws of logic, rational reasoning is impossible, meaning that if materialism were true, we could not know anything. Empiricism is the belief that all knowledge is obtained through observation. However, we cannot observe empiricism, therefore we could not know that it is true; it does not pass its own test for truth. So both of these positions are irrational and destroy the possibility of knowledge.

mrducky wrote:
things change over time
god's word is a thing

This is still fallacious, because it's applying a generalization to an exception. I have good reason to believe that God is an exception to this; however, you do not have good reason to believe that laws of physics are.

mrducky wrote:
no, the nonsensical assumption is to assume that despite the past being uniform in nature, the future will be fantastical and magical and we all get to fire lasers from our mouths while defecating on a neutron star.

Ignoring the biased language, it's easy to demonstrate how this is circular reasoning. You argue that we can expect the future to be like the past because in the past the future has been like the past, however, in order to think that the future will reflect the past (the past being that the future has reflected the past), you would have to already assume that the future reflects the past. Let me see if I can put it more cogently in a formal argument:
1. If uniformity is true, then the future will be like the past.
2. There has been uniformity in the past.
3. Therefore, there will be uniformity in the future.
You assume uniformity to try to prove uniformity; which is circular and arbitrary. In your worldview, you cannot know that there will be uniformity in the future.

You also seem to object that miracles destroy the possibility of uniformity. However, there are a couple of reasons that this is false. First of all, not all miracles violate the laws of nature (which, in the biblical worldview, are merely descriptions of the way God usually upholds the universe). For example, the parting of the Red Sea was accomplished by the use of wind, and therefore was not necessarily a violation of the laws of nature. Furthermore, we can't really know that any miracles violate the laws of nature, because we do not know all of the laws of nature. However, even if miracles do violate laws of nature, they do not destroy the possibility of uniformity. Miracles are by definition rare occasions, so there's really no reason to think they destroy the possibility of uniformity.

Finally, the principles you borrow are such as laws of logic, uniformity, reliability of senses, reliability of memory, ability of our minds to comprehend the universe, and so on. These are principles that only make sense consistently in a biblical worldview.

Ultimately, when people reject the Bible, they are reduced to foolishness (which is pretty much what I've demonstrated). The critic is not consistent with his worldview when he is rational or presupposes the principles above. Why are critics of the Bible so inconsistent? The critic of the Bible knows God in his heart of hearts, and is self-deceived into thinking he does not. This is the reason for the blatant inconsistency in the critic's worldview: an emotional rejection of God.
The Bible explains and summarizes this quite nicely:
Quote:
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man- and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. (Romans 1:18-23)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

GeneralKajafelq wrote:
Before I respond specifically to a few points, it seems that some clarification on the place of evidence and worldviews would be helpful. First of all, evidence means nothing on its own. It cannot 'speak for itself' as many seem to believe. Evidence must be interpreted through a person's worldview.
OR it can simply be examined, depends on how much you want it to talk. evidence in scientific terms is merely anything that supports/rejects/is neutral to your hypothesis. how you interpret your results (evidence) is actually completely open to discussion until eventually, the amount of conflicting evidence simply renders a position futile/objectively (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..) to uphold.

To say that evidence contradicts something is really to say that your interpretation of evidence contradicts something. So your statement "oh so the bible (word of god) isnt wrong because of contradicting evidence, evidence is wrong because of contradicting bible" is a bit misleading.
no... it still holds true if you still hold true that a biblical worldview is the correct worldview. alright, lets say i have an interpretation and you have an interpretation. how do you get one to be "more correct" (note: i didnt say correct)? you compare it relatively with... WOW more evidence with further interpretation to back it up. as long as you can get correlating links between various pieces of evidence, you can actually build up an interpretation that is logical and sound. and you keep doing so until one side is either drowned in inaccuracies and plot holes or one side simply has too much supporting evidence currently to be toppled. you need to back up your interpretation. you can look at a piece of garlic rotting and go "this smells, this is rotting, i therefore interpret that from these results, the bible is true and cheeses roamed the land on the back of a velociraptor preaching the word"

Since the biblical worldview is the only worldview that can make sense of rationality and science,
(FFS WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MAKING BOLD BASELESS STATEMENTS)
then yes, an interpretation of evidence that contradicts the Bible is necessarily a wrong interpretation.
the bible is true because evidence supports it, all evidence supports the bible because the bible is true. circular circular circular. i rather you actually clarify ^ above.

Also, a rational worldview must contain something called an ultimate standard. An ultimate standard is a belief that all other beliefs rest on. I will demonstrate why this is necessary. If you have a certain belief (p), and I ask you how you know that p is true, you will appeal to another proposition (q) to support that belief. If I ask you how you know that q is true, you will defend that proposition with another (r). If I kept questioning, you would eventually have to come to your ultimate standard; your most foundational belief which all your other beliefs rely on. We'll call it s.

my response is my ultimate standard is me. my senses and memories are what i have to base my beliefs upon.

Now, the killer question I could ask is, "How do you know that your ultimate standard (s) is true?"

i never said it was true, it is merely my standard of belief, my senses and memory are flawed. but are functioning at a reasonable enough level for human level understanding

hope you dont mind if i delete the rabble which i purposely chose my ultimate standard to not be based upon

Without going in-depth, the Bible can do this, because it is the only ultimate standard that makes knowledge possible, while others are arbitrary or self-defeating. To make an argument against the Bible you would have to presuppose that it is true.

but dont you already have to presuppose the bible as true as your ultimate standard? you just created the same circular blackhole you created for me. difference is, i know what perfection is (without fault), and i am yet to see it.

mrducky wrote:

Apart from the biblical worldview we could not know that laws of logic are universal and invariant. However, if laws of logic are not immaterial then they are material; we could eat them, trip on them, or change them,
and because of entropy, they would be wearing down slowly.
SAYS WHO? SINCE WHEN WAS THERE ENTROPY IN ANYTHING-GOES LAND? why is it not disentropy and everything is actually building up into order?

who says you can change logic right now? perhaps later? huh? punk?

"When you propose,
Anything goes...
Anything goes!"

Furthermore, they would not be universal, since they would just apply to where they physically are, effectively rendering them useless. Laws of logic must be universal in order for them to be useful; otherwise, we could not know that they apply in places that we have not tested them in.
says who? what kind of claims are these, you are basing all this off current laws of logic and reasoning. that last line in particular is weak, you dont know, you assume that they apply.

If someone said they had found an island where contradictions are possible, we would have no logical reason to dismiss their claim. Additionally, if they were not invariant, then we could make no rational predictions about the future, because the laws of logic might change, and if someone said that contradictions had started happening to them, we would have no basis for dismissing that claim. So in order for us to really be able to reason, the laws of logic must be immaterial, universal, and invariant.
why the hell would the laws of logic care for our ability to reason?

im loving this, you dont need to think, you just need to question.

Only the biblical worldview can account for these kinds of laws, whether they're laws of logic or laws of nature.

mrducky wrote:
Uniformity is because the universe has set laws

How do you account for such laws in your worldview?
must i account for them? i account for them in the way that if they were different, i wouldnt be able to account for them. circular, yes, but you are just as guilty

mrducky wrote:
Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings based on argument accountability

Why should abstract things exist?
lol you are doing what im doing. how easy is question time? answer time is harder. abstract things can exist because the adjective abstract is independant of existence. its merely a word humans use to describe things. why do blue things exist? and dont say its cause of the wavelength.

Furthermore, how could you define 'argument accountability' without presupposing laws of logic? This sentence basically seems to mean "Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings based on logic"
Logic is an abstract principle applied by human beings-based on sound arguments. most logical fallacies have examples of why such logic doesnt necessarily follow. as such, they are deemed fallacious.

mrducky wrote:
reliability of our senses and memories is based upon the fact that humans survived due to brain not brawn so the ability to remember when to run and what not to eat has importance. senses i have already covered are incredibly important and without them, survival is obviously impeded (common sense) natural selection weeds out impotent senses.

How do you know that impotent senses impede survival?
observation.

Senses could just be illusions, products of chemical reactions that have nothing to do with eyes or ears or nerves.
everything i know, everything you know points otherwise. this question has about as much validity as senses could just be illusions, products of intelligent manatees smoking pot that have nothing to do with nerves.

Plenty of organisms (bacteria) do not really have "senses" as we do, yet they far outnumber us humans. How do you know that we are not bacteria with our senses being an illusory side effect of a chemical reaction?

now i know you are going to question be on the validity of chemicals and what i know about chemicals. but seriously. chemicals as of yet can do no such thing. if we are bacteria, our cytoplasm is extremely limited in the level of hallucination capable, at worst i think you could make the bacterium aroused with heat shock or something. btw. this is currently the matrix, i believe i noted that if it came down to red pill or blue pill discussion, i would bail. you have been forewarned, drop it or i will

mrducky wrote:
understanding the universe is quite abstract a concept

Understand meaning, yes, to know how the universe is and how it works. Why should one chemical accident be able to comprehend another chemical accident?
Why is blue blue? stop presupposing it cant and ill stop presupposing it can

I'll also explain why materialism and empiricism are untenable positions. Materialism is the belief that matter and energy are all we have. If this were true, then we could not have laws of nature nor laws of logic, because these are not material things, as I demonstrated above. actually they are. havent you read what the LHC was for? it was to find the particle responsible for mass. laws of nature is just how matter+energy interacts, its still just matter+nrg. logic, as i have noted, is a human concept.

So, without laws of logic, rational reasoning is impossible, meaning that if materialism were true, we could not know anything. Empiricism is the belief that all knowledge is obtained through observation. However, we cannot observe empiricism,
do you mean the generalisation "ALL KNOWLEDGE" or do you mean we cannot observe ourselves obtaining knowledge?

therefore we could not know that it is true; it does not pass its own test for truth. So both of these positions are irrational and destroy the possibility of knowledge.

mrducky wrote:
things change over time
god's word is a thing

This is still fallacious, because it's applying a generalization to an exception. I have good reason to believe that God is an exception to this; however, you do not have good reason to believe that laws of physics are.
i have a good reason to believe that the laws of physics is an exception to this; however, you do not have a good reason to believe that god is.

how much do you love BOLD BASELESS CLAIMS?

mrducky wrote:

Ignoring the biased language, it's easy to demonstrate how this is circular reasoning. You argue that we can expect the future to be like the past because in the past the future has been like the past, however, in order to think that the future will reflect the past (the past being that the future has reflected the past), you would have to already assume that the future reflects the past. Let me see if I can put it more cogently in a formal argument:
1. If uniformity is true, then the future will be like the past.
2. There has been uniformity in the past.
3. Therefore, there will be uniformity in the future.
You assume uniformity to try to prove uniformity; which is circular and arbitrary. In your worldview, you cannot know that there will be uniformity in the future.

1. If uniformity is true, then the future will be like the past
2. All that i have observed and have come to believe is that the future will be like the past.
3. Therefore I will continue to assume uniformity is true until proven otherwise.

is that better?

You also seem to object that miracles destroy the possibility of uniformity. However, there are a couple of reasons that this is false. First of all, not all miracles violate the laws of nature (which, in the biblical worldview, are merely descriptions of the way God usually upholds the universe). For example, the parting of the Red Sea was accomplished by the use of wind, and therefore was not necessarily a violation of the laws of nature. Furthermore, we can't really know that any miracles violate the laws of nature, because we do not know all of the laws of nature. However, even if miracles do violate laws of nature, they do not destroy the possibility of uniformity. Miracles are by definition rare occasions, so there's really no reason to think they destroy the possibility of uniformity.

oh wow.
1. wind does not push down into a liquid with the density of water and part it like that. unless of course moses was blown around in the wind tunnel until he emerged as a bloody mess on the other side. if you challenge this claim, then back it up rather then merely say it is wrong.
2. it violates all known principles of nature we currently have. if you want a contradicting law, feel free to stab uniformity in the face.
3. miracles, even if they are rare occasions. still punctuate and destroy uniformity. just because a straight line is straight for 10000 nanometres before becoming jagged, does not mean it is a straight line, it means it is a straight line that becomes jagged.

Finally, the principles you borrow are such as laws of logic, uniformity, reliability of senses, reliability of memory, ability of our minds to comprehend the universe, and so on. These are principles that only make sense consistently in a biblical worldview.

ignored since its all addressed elsewhere.

Ultimately, when people reject the Bible, they are reduced to foolishness (which is pretty much what I've demonstrated). The critic is not consistent with his worldview when he is rational or presupposes the principles above. Why are critics of the Bible so inconsistent? The critic of the Bible knows God in his heart of hearts, and is self-deceived into thinking he does not. This is the reason for the blatant inconsistency in the critic's worldview: an emotional rejection of God.
The Bible explains and summarizes this quite nicely:
Quote:
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man- and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. (Romans 1:18-23)

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html
OMNOMNOMNOMNOM bible.

since we are all over the place, you mind if i bring up a new point? your interpretation of the bible makes it false. even presuming that the word is perfect. you are not. you are human and flawed and can make mistakes. your interpretation of the bible therefore riddles anything truthful about it with nothing but you superimposing your beliefs and character into the novel.

~~~cant believe i wasted 45 minutes typing this >.>

really disappointed i couldnt be bothered with the O RLY owls... it cheered me up to scroll down the page and be confronted with O RLY?

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3