It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Problem of Evil. What do you agree on?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

good discussion? xD
it's a 10 vs 1 xD
and the 1 have made 1,5 post =P

i didn't really see the point of he's post, can someone sum it up quickly for me? =)

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 am 
Captain
Captain

twinks wrote:
Wow you completely skipped over my detailed post I suppose, even tho it was just one below yours T.T

Haha - Yeah i didn't

Too much to read, by the time i got to the end of the 2 sentence i was sleeping. :(

That is why i said Just some Quick points :D hehe

Cheers ~ Son

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am 
Captain
Captain

You may find this interesting on the problem of evil:
Ruddy... Just copy and paste this.
"http://www.premierradio.org.uk/listen/ondemand.aspx?mediaid={13B12B55-9881-4DD3-B1A7-7C92DAD7D88D} "

Personally, I don't think it's a very good argument. It's primarily an appeal to emotion.

The Battle Dawn Staff:
Working with you, to make and maintain
the very best browser based game!

*Lemon-Flavoured, according to Andrew...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:45 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

From a non-religious standpoint, it could be summed up in a sentence:

There is no evil, only a good thing turned evil because humans thought it was.

That said, humans would blindly seek out only the "good" in the world, and branding any horrific or harmful events that should happen as "evil", without pausing to reflect on the fact that the "evils" bring the "good" in the world. For example, natural disasters are widely accepted as horrific events, and very few realize that these same events are what keeps life on Earth going; that without them, life would have ceased long ago.
Another example would be an illness that strikes a population; people think it is a horrible event, and it is, but they fail to realize the good it will bring. Now we have a vaccine for the illness, as well as a chance to regrow and to better ourselves. It is the human mind that rejects the fact that "evil" is an integral part of life and society; without it there would be no "good" for there is nothing to spark the flame of betterment, as well as there will be nothing to define "good". And as they say, too much of a good thing is bad, so the process of "evil" is there no matter what. Instead we think of "evil" as a malevolent presence who's sole purpose is to harm and to wreak havoc, as reflected in human religions, instead of beneficial events with effects that humans just got in the way of.

So in short, my opinion would not be any of the above, I think that we can trace the origins of "evil problems" to the human mind, for we thought of them as such.

So yeah, I'm the guy everyone eventually hates.

[Advice for the New Player Here]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:56 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Son wrote:
Just some quick points in regards to the problem of evil ...

- If God is Benevolent (all loving) then why does he allow his children to be in pain (evil and suffering) God would of wanted good for his children not bad

- If God is Omnipotent (all powerful) then why does he not stop evil and suffering to occur

- If God is Omniscient (all knowing) then why did he allow evil and suffering to occur if God foresaw it comming

Continue Discussing - Very Good Discussion

Son

Let me backfire it for you... Why does he not stop evil and suffering to occur? It is a test of Free Will and Loyalty to God. God is so Benevolent that he gave us free will and allowed us to make our own choices, even though He is so Omniscient that he knows what will happen if he gave it (yep...it's our fault Evil came to this world.)

------------------------
MmCm6 wrote:
From a non-religious standpoint, it could be summed up in a sentence:

There is no evil, only a good thing turned evil because humans thought it was.

That said, humans would blindly seek out only the "good" in the world, and branding any horrific or harmful events that should happen as "evil", without pausing to reflect on the fact that the "evils" bring the "good" in the world. For example, natural disasters are widely accepted as horrific events, and very few realize that these same events are what keeps life on Earth going; that without them, life would have ceased long ago.
Another example would be an illness that strikes a population; people think it is a horrible event, and it is, but they fail to realize the good it will bring. Now we have a vaccine for the illness, as well as a chance to regrow and to better ourselves. It is the human mind that rejects the fact that "evil" is an integral part of life and society; without it there would be no "good" for there is nothing to spark the flame of betterment, as well as there will be nothing to define "good". And as they say, too much of a good thing is bad, so the process of "evil" is there no matter what. Instead we think of "evil" as a malevolent presence who's sole purpose is to harm and to wreak havoc, as reflected in human religions, instead of beneficial events with effects that humans just got in the way of.

So in short, my opinion would not be any of the above, I think that we can trace the origins of "evil problems" to the human mind, for we thought of them as such.
Nice point. But the problem is we got that thinking from somewhere other than us. Now where? Animals? Try making a puppy sad in 5 seconds if somebody bad is happening to the world. Nature? Not sure?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I would say that we got that certain type of thinking back when humanity was in its infancy, when instincts told us how to survive. Instincts led them to avoid harmful situations, and as humanity grew more sophisticated, these same instinctual responses grew more sophisticated as well, leading to the philosophical thought of "good" and "evil". In other words, our instincts told us what was harmful and what was good for us, and we just formed schools of thought around that.

If you want to go religious on that, I would say that God created evil, so as to really give free will depth. If we only had "good", we would be confined to one set of actions and thoughts, thus rendering free will invalid. So God created evil, with its own sets of consequences, hoping we will eventually realize that we can lead better lives by flying right. As for the natural disasters, I would say that God put them there not only to revitalize Earth to keep it going for a longer time, but also to provoke us to believe in Him in times of crisis, and as a test of faith for those who grieve over losses, like you said.

....Or Global Warming is to blame, either way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:27 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

MmCm6 wrote:
I would say that we got that certain type of thinking back when humanity was in its infancy, when instincts told us how to survive. Instincts led them to avoid harmful situations, and as humanity grew more sophisticated, these same instinctual responses grew more sophisticated as well, leading to the philosophical thought of "good" and "evil". In other words, our instincts told us what was harmful and what was good for us, and we just formed schools of thought around that.

If you want to go religious on that, I would say that God created evil, so as to really give free will depth. If we only had "good", we would be confined to one set of actions and thoughts, thus rendering free will invalid. So God created evil, with its own sets of consequences, hoping we will eventually realize that we can lead better lives by flying right. As for the natural disasters, I would say that God put them there not only to revitalize Earth to keep it going for a longer time, but also to provoke us to believe in Him in times of crisis, and as a test of faith for those who grieve over losses, like you said.

....Or Global Warming is to blame, either way.

I agree...except your last statement, 'cus Global Warming came from our irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:02 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Quote:
I agree...except your last statement, 'cus Global Warming came from our irresponsibility.

That line was sort of a bad joke....My bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 am 
Captain
Captain

i am yet to see the freewill and goodness you speak of in trying it when you go to certain places. places like darfur, sudan where women have their breasts cut off so they cant feed their children, where they are violated WITH GUNS so hard that internal bleeding kills them.

how about the children? the countless millions that die from a slow death?

while evil is subjective, one can agree that suffering is not. i cant see them trying to excercise their freewill when getting enough to eat to survive the week is enough trouble as it is.

Quote:
but also to provoke us to believe in Him in times of crisis, and as a test of faith for those who grieve over losses, like you said.

sorry, but... IMO, EGOTISTICAL BASTARD of a way to get soul slaves, sorry, "WORSHIPPERS", wait. i meant BELIEVERS. dont pull the "Job" card here.

the story of job is a story of how
1. the 'devil' is god's play thing on a leash
2. the leash can be extended as far as god wants it to (dont kill job)
3. god is happy to sacrifice people (his family) to make a point about one person.
4. one of the worst stories of the bible telling you that when god bends you over, you need to scream YES!! I LOVE YOU!

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 am 
Captain
Captain

very interesting debate im a bit religious yet im not I agree with parts of every religion im more of what you'd call a pantheist

any ways Ducky I like how you say something then prove your self wrong and example is this
mrducky wrote:
where they are violated WITH GUNS so hard that internal bleeding kills

now right there thats sayin a man is doing that with FREE WILL and the women can do what ever at Free will from God but the evil man is holding her back not god, god is letting her choose what to do

my point is exactly thou some Religion do go to far I can agree for example this one http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/ real region have 10 commandments, even has a bible for sale, and of course for you Scientist that needs proof it has it for how Google is "god"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next