It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ACT test
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I don't think that they serve this test in other countries, but the Midwestern and some western states in the U.S.A., are forced to have their high school juniors take this test, which in all honestly decides your future. If you do well, you have a greater chance of getting into a better college. If you do poorly, then vice versa. The ACT is scored out of 36 points, and the average score is a 20. I got a 33. My question to you all is this: Should the United States have a test like this that basically determines your future?

"Nukes are like hard liquer-They make people feel tougher than they really are"-CSTORM666

Post subject: Re: ACT test
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

There is always going to be a standardized test until we reach a technology point where we can scan someone brain to understand their motivations mental and learning capacities. It is a generalized set of standards for how college ready you are.

What I dislike is all the prep courses etc. I didn't take this test till spring of my senior year and closed and went to a party the night before, I got a 3x something but I had planned to go to community college(got stuck going to a pricey prestigious private school but anywho)....

Unless you have an alternative this is going to be one of the standards. This is why they also take into account your high school, GPA, extra curriculars, criminal record etc etc.

It is only one of the many things they check not the end all be all that you may hear. However if you got a 20 you better retake this as chances are it'll void any scholarships and drag you down as would carrying a 2.0 gpa.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:12 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Did you know... The creator of the AIM's never graduated high school, yet students are forced to pass the test for graduation in most western and mid-western states.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

we don't ahve this here, we have sometheing called "nasjonal prøver/national tests" but they don't count much

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:11 pm 
Private
Private
 YIM  Profile

What I find funny, is that you scored a very decent score. You must be in the top 10% of the students in the United States that took the test. Yet, you care to ask a question such as this? Really?

The ACT does not determine your entry into a good college, but it does give precedence for the SAT and PSAT.

I never took the ACT. I live in a state that requires all Juniors to take it. Yet, I took my SAT in my Junior year, therefore I didn't have to worry about it.

As to the original question. Should there be tests that determine your future?

My Answer : The tests we take are for our own good. If we score low, we either pick ourselves back up and try again, or fail all our lives. It is up to us to make a decision based on how we excel. If you study, then study. If you don't then don't. Only you can determine your own fate for the Future. Colleges look at all things in your Schooling careers, not just a single admittance test.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:22 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Here's my answer: tests shouldnt exist... They don't work correctly for an ever-changing society...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:18 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I never actually took it , I was older when I recieved my Degree. I had to take the compass which is alot harder than the ACT. I survived and had scholarships, but it helped in placing me if I needed remedials in my core classes. So everything has a purpose, somehow! Do your best and you can study for ACT or SAT.

If anyone don't know and is interested in Military(any branch) study for the ASVAB ....... It shows what Branch and where you are most qualifed in job placement ...... Pretty neat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Aye, I took the ASVAB and got a 96 on it. I'm enlisting next year in intelligence.

Also, yes I got a very high score on the ACT, and I'm very happy I did. But the ACT isn't a pre-requisite to the ACT or PSAT, but I took the PSAT, and did rprety well on it. the ACT is mandatory to take in my state (Illinois) and the SAT is not.

"Nukes are like hard liquer-They make people feel tougher than they really are"-CSTORM666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Compass was easier than the ACT to me (ive took both) and ACT is required in my state of Arkansas....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Well if you are good at anything it shouldn't really be a problem if you took the ACT. You could still score over 20 most of the time. Especially if your a scholarship student you wouldn't score lower than 20 as your a scholarship guy! At least America's educational system is better than England. For all the juniors in England they do not know whether SAT's or not is good. There is a full blown war between them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next