It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: assisted suicide
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

doctor assisted suicide is when someone who is elderly or terminaly ill can request a doctor's help in peacefully and painlessly ending their life

i live in michigan where such a thing is illegal and the doctor can be charged with murder for doing it which is what happened to Dr. Jack Kevorkian who claims to have helped over 140 people commit suicide although he wasn't convicted until he aired a video of him preforming one on national tv with a revoked medical licence

i think that doctor assisted suicide should be legal if the patient wants it and there is nothing to help them

Gate of Babylon
Top rank 18
Top alliance rank 2

Post subject: Re: assisted suicide
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:26 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

People have a right to life.

Just like the right to remain silent, I believe people also have the right to give certain rights away, although I (and most other people, by my experiences) believe it is quite stupid to do so.

Specifically in this case, the patients may be in extreme pain, or they may be a huge expense for others, such as family. I believe that it is the right of those people to be allowed to terminate their own lives in a painless way, and if that requires a doctor to do so, then by all means, let it be done that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:45 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Slippery slope. How do you confirm that the doctor was indeed killing him because he asked or if he was doing it cut hes insane, or monetarily motivated.

Then what if the patient isn't in the right state of mind. My god, what would the life insurance companies say about the entire idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:54 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sylis wrote:
Slippery slope. How do you confirm that the doctor was indeed killing him because he asked or if he was doing it cut hes insane, or monetarily motivated.

Then what if the patient isn't in the right state of mind. My god, what would the life insurance companies say about the entire idea.

Actually, very unslippery slope.

All you need is a competent witness to sign off on it, that works with wills anyways.

As for the money, it is less money to the doctor if they have no patients.

If he's insane, he won't have a witness, he will just kill them.

Easy stuff there.

As for the patient being in the right state of mind, I am no expert, but I do believe there are ways of telling (such as if they continue with this state of mind for a certain length of time.)

When it comes to life insurance though, that is up to the companies. Believe it or not, many of them are not-for-profit, and that generally means they actually care about the people a little bit more than most businesses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

It'll take some convincing for me to believe there are life insurance companies that care less about money and more about people. Not in the US anyway.

As for right state of mind, if someones in insane amounts of pain theyre on pain killers. If theyre on pain killers they arent in there right state of mind, and are unable to sign any legal documents or be considered competent in any legal transaction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:22 am 
Captain
Captain

im all for it.

in Australia, a landmark case meant a man could deny being force fed and can starve to death. its not euthanasia, but it shows it is necessary to prevent this happening again.

if something is terminal. if it causes you pain with every breathe, with every beat of the heart. a noble exit seems nice rather then the gradual loss of dignity and self respect until eventually our technology cant keep you alive to suffer more.

euthanasia only happens in cases which are terminal but take too long for the patient to die. sylis, the life insurance companies need to cough up. they just have another 6 months to keep the money while the person has a tumor slowly pushing the life out of them.

perhaps having tubes going into your nose to feed you
perhaps having tubes going into your mouth to breathe for you
prehaps having tubes coming out the other end because you cant get out and go to the toilet yourself isnt demeaning for you.
perhaps having to live doped on morphine just to relieve the pain and unable to properly communicate with friends and family who only look on in sadness isnt that bad for you.
but quite frankly, i rather be shot in the testis, have my hands cut off and drawn and quartered as long as it happens within a day rather then withstand and create such suffering. at least death brings closure.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]