It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Army Duty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

how does your contry do army duty?
how long, how do they recruit?

and what is the best way to do it?
got the idea after i got caled into the army (not leaving now, don't worry ;) )

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

Post subject: Re: Army Duty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

The USA doesn't have a draft, it's purely by choice. They run a lot of commercials, take out ads, and hope that people sign up.

We used to have a draft, but that stopped after the Vietnam War I believe.

I personally think that this is the best way to do it. To force someone to endanger their life is a violation of human rights in my opinion...

I can't play for CRAP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

well, with our earlier minister of defence it were "get as many troops as we can", even if they didn't have the facilitys/staff to train them all properly. Now with the new it's a bit diffrent, in norway we got around 60 000 a year who are liable to join the army for "førstegangstjeneste"(which do not mean ur signed up for the army for ever, it's just usualy 1 year military training), earlier norway wanted to recruit atleast 30 000 (the boys), now we are down to 10 000.

But "førstegangstjeneste" is now mainly based on who want to join.
And none are forced to stay after "førstengangstjeneste"(sorry, don't know english term).

Thank you Michael
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:34 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Weeee, A topic I know nothing about, Army duty :D

My country abolished army in 1948 after a civil war. We are currently the only country in the world without army, and I personally think it is the best way.

PEACE FTW!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

javierbs wrote:
Weeee, A topic I know nothing about, Army duty :D

My country abolished army in 1948 after a civil war. We are currently the only country in the world without army, and I personally think it is the best way.

PEACE FTW!!!!

What happens when a dictator decides he wants money from you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

No dictators here. Besides in order to be dictator, there must be an army, which we don't have... In fact, that is why it was abolished, to prevent political abuse from the army. ;) Besides we don't need an army. All the money that other countries waste in useless armies, we use them in better things =P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:12 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

javierbs wrote:
No dictators here. Besides in order to be dictator, there must be an army, which we don't have... In fact, that is why it was abolished, to prevent political abuse from the army. ;) Besides we don't need an army. All the money that other countries waste in useless armies, we use them in better things =P

What contry u live in?

Thank you Michael
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:41 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Costa Rica, little country in Central America, it is in between Nicaragua and Panama, but you probably don't know what I am taking about unless you are familiar with the zone =P

We only ever lead 2 wars before the army was abolished: One against USA, when it tried to enslave all Central America, and the other against Hitler (as a fun fact, we were the first country to declare war on the Nazis). But I still think peace as a better option than war. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:26 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

javierbs wrote:
Costa Rica, little country in Central America, it is in between Nicaragua and Panama, but you probably don't know what I am taking about unless you are familiar with the zone =P

We only ever lead 2 wars before the army was abolished: One against USA, when it tried to enslave all Central America, and the other against Hitler (as a fun fact, we were the first country to declare war on the Nazis). But I still think peace as a better option than war. :D

My comment applied to OTHER dictators. So, what happens when Hugo Chavez decides he wants you to give him all your oil, and you refuse? Armies are a tool of defense, and as such offense as well. Having no army does not mean you are safe from the world. That is a lie and you need to get out of that way of thinking. It doesn't make Costa Rica any safer or different from any country, only that you're now more prone to a madman's demands. :/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:10 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Scorcher wrote:
javierbs wrote:

My comment applied to OTHER dictators. So, what happens when Hugo Chavez decides he wants you to give him all your oil, and you refuse? Armies are a tool of defense, and as such offense as well. Having no army does not mean you are safe from the world. That is a lie and you need to get out of that way of thinking. It doesn't make Costa Rica any safer or different from any country, only that you're now more prone to a madman's demands. :/

I didn't meant we are "safer" in any matter, as you said we technically don't have defense. I am completely aware of it. I meant that we don't need defense, and I am totally aware that is a luxury that not every country can have by X or Y factor. Also, you are basing your ideas in other contexts that don't necessarily apply to all countries, for example, following your idea of dictators, we have nothing a dictator may wish to have, we have no expensive resources (as oil). We have no money, we are a world third class country, we live from tourism (about a 70% of our income comes from here),agriculture and scientific development mainly. All our resources come from outside.

And if you say that we aren't any different from other countries, I differ. Not needing an army for the time we have, is a great accomplishment. Not all can pull that, I am pretty sure that people in Africa and in the middle east, dream for a time where armies won't be needed. Despite of what you say you are the close-minded. You probably know no other example of what not having army can do, their isn't anyone. All you are doing is putting some random examples of what you "think" may happen, and not what actually happens. Maybe in the middles ages, or in the early 19th century armies where needed for defense. But in this age not all (cause there is some countries that need them) need armies.

And for the record, Hugo Chavez doesn't apply any abuse from the army on his people nor on exterior relations. He is "legally elected" after the initially taking power over the country.
And for the record, in order for a dictator to arise in any given country there most be an army in that country, otherwise it would be known as war. A war is not a good idea out of the conflicting areas, cause it will probably drag world wide pressure on that given country having other nations defend it, and it would probably led the UN to sanctioned the attacking country.
Which for the record, only USA is immune to the UN sanctions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next