It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:51 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 567
Gender: male
sharpshot233 wrote:
lol if your going to back up your argument with statistics you've totally just through a wrench into this whole thing. 43% of statistics are made up on the spot...no wait 90%....no i'm sure it was 57%...


It goes as simple as this, everyone believes what they want to believe based on what they think they may or may not know. You should know as well as everyone else that the mass majority isn't "always" right. So you can't judge it on saying...oh well alot of people believe it in. Well alot of people believe in god, alot of people believe in animal spirits, alot of people believe spirits don't exist...everyone has their own idea, or outlook on life..and honestly how can we be the ones to judge when u can see how well science has been used for the purpose of national defense, and war. Great technology, used to just aim weapons at eachother...so if thats the mass directions heading not all, but the mass. Then excuse me if I don't follow the crowd and happen to think "you know what, they just might...just might, possible, be wrong." But no, thinking outside the standard limits is a 'no no' in america today isn't it?


Seriously, why do you keep throwing in the fact that it's "just a belief"? You keep evolution to religion, when they are two completely different topics. People think evolution the explanation of how life evolved because they are presented with facts and data. People believe in god because they were taught to believe in god. That, or they just need something to turn to. The reson that the existence of god hasn't been proven is because there are no observable facts that prove its existence.

You obviously are extremely stubborn and just keep spouting out the same arguments over and over again. I have explained this at least 3 times in this thread....

_________________
Image

Image

I can't play for CRAP


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:47 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:50 pm
Posts: 550
Location: America
Gender: male
There is evidence of some christian things as well. Just not the bible's ideology of it. Just locations that exist and old text. But nothing more.


Anyways regardless of what you say there is a large amount of scientist that do not believe in evolution. Many of which studied in the same universities, and work in the same fields. And even if ur statistics are correct, you have to think about that number. An example would be... 10% of people do "whatever"

not alot?

If there are roughly 6.5-7billion people on the planet, that number comes to about 700,000,000 people. Thats still a large number.

What the similarity to religion is if 15% believe something, and 5% believe something else, and 45% believe another thing, they will all produce some sort of information (factual, or not) to base their ideas behind or on.

No matter what you believe you will always find "SOMETHING" to support it. Right or wrong. "Seek and you shall find" < Christians love to take credit for it, but its a popular quote long before Christianity ever existed. Its something that reigns in almost all faiths, and believe systems (religious and no religious.)

Thats what i mean when i was comparing the two.

_________________
Image
BattleDawn Comics
BD Comics on Facebook


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:15 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 567
Gender: male
sharpshot233 wrote:
There is evidence of some christian things as well. Just not the bible's ideology of it. Just locations that exist and old text. But nothing more.


Anyways regardless of what you say there is a large amount of scientist that do not believe in evolution. Many of which studied in the same universities, and work in the same fields. And even if ur statistics are correct, you have to think about that number. An example would be... 10% of people do "whatever"

not alot?

If there are roughly 6.5-7billion people on the planet, that number comes to about 700,000,000 people. Thats still a large number.

What the similarity to religion is if 15% believe something, and 5% believe something else, and 45% believe another thing, they will all produce some sort of information (factual, or not) to base their ideas behind or on.

No matter what you believe you will always find "SOMETHING" to support it. Right or wrong. "Seek and you shall find" < Christians love to take credit for it, but its a popular quote long before Christianity ever existed. Its something that reigns in almost all faiths, and believe systems (religious and no religious.)

Thats what i mean when i was comparing the two.


I'm sorry for giving you my statistics without my source, as I cannot recall it at this moment. Though I am fairly sure that it either came from one of Richard Dawkins' BBC specials or the film Religilous.
After doing some research, I've found that the 7% may have even been an over statement. A poll from 1987 (When more of the American public believed in creationism than now) only 700 relevant scientists out 480,000 advocated creationism according to a Newsweek poll [http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm].
Also, that number hasn't seemed to raise all too much over the years, wit only 761 people signing the Discovery Institute's "Dissent from Darwinism" statement arguing that evolution should not be taught in schools as it is now.

So really, it is an even smaller percentage that do not support evolution than I had originally thought.

And I will say it again, give me empirical data that refutes the Theory of Evolution, with citations. The reason that the support for evolution is so strong is that is evidence, if it even exists, is so minuscule that it just doesn't hold up in light of all of the evidence to support evolution. Plus, even if you do find certain scarce exceptions, there are exceptions when it comes to most scientific theories. Take the octet rule for valence electrons according to the Atomic Theory. Mostly all atoms attempt to get 8 valence electrons, yet Boron is stable with only six. Exceptions like this occur in a few other atoms as well, such as Helium, Beryllium, and Lithium (I won't even get started on Hydrogen).

So the challenge is there, I'll be waiting.

_________________
Image

Image

I can't play for CRAP


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: ??? If you find me, you can win a prize
TBH, i'm a Christian.... but the evidence for evolution is very overwhelming... my only problem with it, is that we dont know everything about it.... scientists are still being surprised by stuff they discover in the world, stuff that supports, and both questions the current theories.
I'm not saying that evolution is completely correct, but its definitely not completely incorrect.

And to look at religion as a science, is wrong... because science involves things that can be tested and proven. Sadly, we cannot just call up God, and ask for a miracle to test over and over :P

But to blindly refuse evolution just because you believe the Bible is against it, is strait up ignorant, especially when evolution is natural.

_________________
BD Community Member 7-8++?? years(retired)

My posts are NOT from spam... they are from suggestions :)

Working on new game (contact for info)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 pm 
Captain
Captain
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Posts: 797
Gender: male
i used to be notorious, but left because i couldnt keep up with checking BD on a tick by tick basis.

my 2 cents is that the theory of evolution has withstood SCIENTIFIC, PEER REVIEWED scrutiny for over 150 years. because of the scrutiny, it has been honed, perfected and corrected, ultimately, it is better standing then einsteins theory of relativity. even the theory of gravity is lacking currently because of the lack of pressure to find the graviton. pressures on the theory of evolution have sped research to quell an idiocracy.

the only reason to reject evolution is because of a deep rooted prejudice and rejection of science because "its too hard to understand, godidit is easier". theists can have their theistic evolution (that is evolution which is directed by god). only uneducated blind fools believe humans come from dust + shiny god breath and women coming from ribs...

-Ducky out.

_________________
Image

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:53 am 
Corporal
Corporal
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:38 pm
Posts: 71
Gender: male
Whose to say what a day is to God? Just because we translated it from hebrew, doesn't mean it's correct. the Hebrew word for day also means an unknown amount of time. I believen Natural Selection, but not so much evolution. In my mind, if evolution were true, the apes we evolved from, wouldn't be alive.

_________________
Regards,
Brandon

E4: Brandon of UGA (probably not for long. I dislike 1 tick worlds)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:23 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 am
Posts: 512
Location: England
Gender: male
Ok lets clear some things up. Im half for god and half for evolution. We can go on forever with the simple answer of WHAT CAUSED IT. ok so somethng had to cause the bigbang something had to cause the thing that caused the big bang and so on so yes i belive god did one thing he started the bigbang but then we can all go into what made god lol. It might be simpler just to say that god was always there and was not created he was just there. :ugeek:

_________________
Image
The light at the end of the tunnel is the person who helps you see it.
- Timithy the great turtle


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:14 pm 
Captain
Captain
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Posts: 797
Gender: male
TheKidd wrote:
Whose to say what a day is to God? Just because we translated it from hebrew, doesn't mean it's correct. the Hebrew word for day also means an unknown amount of time. I believen Natural Selection, but not so much evolution. In my mind, if evolution were true, the apes we evolved from, wouldn't be alive.


do you go to school?

and yes, i am well versed in religious debates, the hebrew word is yom, which means eon or day.
did you know genesis was translated poorly?
in the beginning GODS created the heaven and the earth. no one knows why its plural at the start and then moses rants about one god~~

anyways to understand why i insulted you at the start.

Quote:
if evolution were true, the apes we evolved from, wouldn't be alive.

humans and modern apes (includes monkeys) share a common ape ancestor that diverged into the plethora of different genus and species you see today.

homo sapiens did out compete/assimilated neanderthals though

this is the logic you are using (and also why im mocking you)
USA came from Britain, why is there still Britain?
Child comes from parents, why is there still parents?


Twilar wrote:
Ok lets clear some things up. Im half for god and half for evolution. We can go on forever with the simple answer of WHAT CAUSED IT. ok so somethng had to cause the bigbang something had to cause the thing that caused the big bang and so on so yes i belive god did one thing he started the bigbang but then we can all go into what made god lol. It might be simpler just to say that god was always there and was not created he was just there. :ugeek:

what caused it? you say god but have no evidence, i say fairy and i have no evidence, supernatural causes stunt the pursuit of knowledge
to say "godidit" removes the need to actually explore and learn a proper cause.

what causes thunder? god (thor) does it, when he is smithing and hammering away at his mega anvil.
what causes the sun to go across the sky? god (something aztec something) does it and it requires sacrifice, let us cut out human hearts!
etc

btw, before the big bang there was no time or concept of time~ so to question what came before time without full understanding of the conditions is quite silly.

_________________
Image

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm 
Corporal
Corporal
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:38 pm
Posts: 71
Gender: male
You say Big Bang and you have no evidence. Let's split and atom and end humanity. I do see how I made myself look stupid in the last post so my bad. I'd say the bible is evidence but ya know, you wouldn't accept that because you'd say, so is a bowl of spaghetti. I get where you're coming from, but when you've had a personal experience with God, nothing can change your mind

_________________
Regards,
Brandon

E4: Brandon of UGA (probably not for long. I dislike 1 tick worlds)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:49 pm 
Captain
Captain
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Posts: 797
Gender: male
TheKidd wrote:
You say Big Bang and you have no evidence. Let's split and atom and end humanity. I do see how I made myself look stupid in the last post so my bad. I'd say the bible is evidence but ya know, you wouldn't accept that because you'd say, so is a bowl of spaghetti. I get where you're coming from, but when you've had a personal experience with God, nothing can change your mind


no evidence for the big bang?
that is a MASSIVE claim

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html
here is talk origins, well known site.

feel free to use the bible, but note i will use the bible in kind, i will interpret the verses different from you, and you will interpret the verses differently from me. subjective evidence isnt good evidence im telling you~~

btw, splitting one atom doesnt do a lot.

btw, professing that you are stubborn doesnt do a lot.

_________________
Image

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
WarLingo Android Mobile Game

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Copyright Tacticsoft Ltd. 2008   
Updated By phpBBservice.nl