It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: religious right to discriminate.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm 
Captain
Captain

http://www.theage.com.au/national/gover ... -g76u.html
Quote:
ATTORNEY-GENERAL Rob Hulls will today announce a controversial compromise struck with the state's religious groups that will allow them to continue to discriminate against gays and lesbians, single mothers and people who hold different spiritual beliefs.

if anyone who has read 1 of my posts would know..

i am atheist, not just laid back atheist who goes meh, but a fighting atheist.

now while i understand a catholic school may not wish to employ a person who is good at teaching maths... but also worship satan... im peeved and quite saddened that this new legislation is very VERY
1. homophobic
2. discriminatory against women (single fathers are exempt)
3. pro religious - its basically the government sleeping with the religious to appease them.

1. homophobic- this is not a step forward, this openly shows that the catholics position on homosexuality (love the person, condone the act) is nothing but BS. this is a step back in human rights. equality is no longer valued as much as the freedom of a set minority.

2. this one is quite sad, their say on marriage allows them to discriminate for almost no reason to those that have divorced... (australian figures show that 40% of marriages will end in divorce) even if they dont like it, i have no idea why legislation how allows them to openly discriminate.
the fact that single fathers are exempt also shows mockery at equality in australia

3. since the government passed the abortion drug RU286 (made up, looks and sounds similiar to what i just wrote, cbs digging it out from google) the religious community have been peeved at the government. this is just a move to win votes. i hope democracy doesnt result in a feudal system where the government works to appease the religious community.
this is obvious since the government made moves to make "men's clubs" more equal and force some of the prominent ones to not refuse women on the grounds of gender. ended up failing hard.
the religious organisation as a private organisation can discriminate.
the religious organisation as a private organisation should pay taxes.
double standard >.>

while this is Australian news, the religious right to discriminate covers the world and has different areas and different particulars. so please, dont move my my discussion and debate topics to world events and dont move my world events topics to discussion and debate.

what say you oh BD forum community...
what is the religious right to discriminate and where does it end?

~Ducky out.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

Post subject: Re: religious right to discriminate.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:31 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

why do the religious get to discriminate should businesses own by atheist get to refuse jobs to the religious
would you hate your best friend if you found out he was gay no you wouldn't and if you would thats stupid people need to get in the 21st century

yes there are gays and lesbians and nothing you can do will every make them go away
no we shouldn't treat them differently because of it

the stupidest thing though is the discrimination against single mom i can at least see where the homophobic view comes from but this is stupid there is a good reason the mother got custody and not the father so why should we punish them for that my mom basically raised me and my two brothers by herself because our dad works in great lakes shipping so he is gone 9 months of a year but my mom still was able to be an art and advertising professor at the college if any thing being a single mom makes you more responsible

why should the government yield to the religious at all last i checked australia wasn't a theocracy

Thanks for the sig Rotag
Gate of Babylon
BD Mentor
Top rank 18
Top alliance rank 2
Anime/Manga FTW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Were the people who pass the legislation drunk?

I'm not a fan of gay and lesbians (I believe in rights though), but what the hell is up with discriminating against a certain group of people and single moms? Owch. (And btw, I was raised without a father in my household)

Bad for 21st century, What is this? RUSSIA?

E3A1 - MES

My ISP sucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:21 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

It's a catholic school. They higher people with catholic principals. It's messed

up but it makes sense. Parents send they're kids to catholic schools to protect

them from what they deem is a volatile environment. It sounds messed up but

we cant stipulate how parents raise they're children as long as they aren't

contributing to their delinquency. The school wouldn't have anyone joining if

they had gay teachers. Although the divorcee thing would be hard to prove.

However It could still result in a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 am 
Captain
Captain

Sylis wrote:
It's a catholic school. They HIRE people with catholic principals. It's messed

up but it makes sense. Parents send they're kids to catholic schools to protect

them from what they deem is a volatile environment. It sounds messed up but

we cant stipulate how parents raise they're children as long as they aren't

contributing to their delinquency. The school wouldn't have anyone joining if

they had gay teachers. Although the divorcee thing would be hard to prove.

However It could still result in a lawsuit.

the legislation means they can discriminate against homosexuals and single mothers for jobs like janitor or things that dont really have much influence other then, 'LET US BE BIGOTS!'

i can understand they might not want a maths teacher who openly worships satan... but other then that, its just homophobia.

and no, legislation protects them against the lawsuit as they CAN discriminate and be protected by law.

whats with the spacing?

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:50 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Homophobia is part of their religion, what do you want the government to do? Force them to disobey because other people do not believe in that particular religion?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:14 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Zhester wrote:
Homophobia is part of their religion, what do you want the government to do? Force them to disobey because other people do not believe in that particular religion?

yep
just kidding

but I am in complete agreemennt with Ducky people have a right to be homosexual and there is absolutly no good reason to discriminate against them

Maanny isocity discriminate or mock the homosexual but honestly they are no diffrent then us outside of the bedroom some of the best neighboors I ever had were homosexual, I learned alot the couple years the lived near me
I think if more people took the time to actually Meet some homosexuals and get passed their diffrences there would be less of this however the odds of that every happening are close to nil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

Zhester wrote:

its the same as following the laws of the land. religious people arent allowed to stone homosexuals for example even though the bible supports such a stance on "abominations"
or hunt witches (female wiccans/pagans)
or stone people who eat shellfish who are also deemed "abominations"

its called JOINING THE SOCIETY.

besides, in australia its mainly the catholic church that pushed for this. their current stance on homosexuality is love the sinner, hate the sin. if they discriminate against a homosexual then its clear they are homophobes and are just talking through their @ss on the issue in an attempt to look nice and presentable.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:09 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

mrducky wrote:
Zhester wrote:

its the same as following the laws of the land. religious people arent allowed to stone homosexuals for example even though the bible supports such a stance on "abominations"
or hunt witches (female wiccans/pagans)
or stone people who eat shellfish who are also deemed "abominations"

That depends on whether or not the Catholics in question are literalists or not. I find that most Catholics I know and meet are liberal, and do not even believe in witches. Plus, all food were shown to be clean if made from the hand of God (everything), so it wouldn't be logical to stone people who eat shellfish nowadays. Also, the problem with homosexuality was that it was fornication, and that is the main reason it was considered an abomination, not simply because they were gay. Not to mention the fact they didn't bias against ONLY gays:

"Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Oh and killing another person is against the 10 Commadments which is the only set of laws given to humans by God himself in the Bible. The other books were written by humans and therefore very susceptible to change (i.e. the Pharisees made 613 laws altogether for Jews to abide by, yes we're talking about Catholics, but this was in the Old Testament when there was no such thing as a Christian and Catholics believe in both Testaments) so I can only assume the stonings were due to tradition more than religion.

P.S.: Killing is much more extreme compared to discriminating over jobs and most modern Christians will never condone it even if the country allowed them to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 am 
Captain
Captain

Zhester wrote:
"Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

" Judge not lest you be judged - jesus himself somewhere in Matthew "
leave it to god, until then, you have no right to judge according to yeshua himself.

Oh and killing another person is against the 10 Commadments which is the only set of laws given to humans by God himself in the Bible. The other books were written by humans and therefore very susceptible to change (i.e. the Pharisees made 613 laws altogether for Jews to abide by, yes we're talking about Catholics, but this was in the Old Testament when there was no such thing as a Christian and Catholics believe in both Testaments) so I can only assume the stonings were due to tradition more than religion.

really, last i heard the bible was the inspired word of god. those laws were "translated" by moses then lost for all eternity, then some corrupted imperfect man comes along and writes it down. 10 commandments more likely to be tradition then religion because it isnt against rape nor incest.

P.S.: Killing is much more extreme compared to discriminating over jobs and most modern Christians will never condone it even if the country allowed them to do so.

but its biblical law, god wills it. unless you are picking and choosing and giving weak rationalisations so you can continue to be a bigot under jesus' banner while ignoring the fact that you should kill your child if he/she disrespects you because APPARENTLY THAT IS WRONG TO UPHOLD THE LAW OF GOD.
if your morals are better then the judeo christian god, fine, if you use the judeo christian god as the basis of other morals, dont feel surprised when called a hypocrite.

hook line and sinker :3

-~~Retired Spammer~~-